BusHunter

Pace Roster

340 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, chgofan78 said:

6079 has moved from SW to NW.

Like the previous generation of Pace Orions,  they just don't go away easily.   Question is will they outlast the NABIS? 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Like the previous generation of Pace Orions,  they just don't go away easily.   Question is will they outlast the NABIS? 

6156-61 probably will outlast the 2003 ones, since they are newer. Probably not the 2005s.

The real question is that while Pace always cries in its budget that there isn't enough money to meet its capital needs, suddenly at least 90 buses* showed up on a budget of 72, and that's Pace's usual M.O. Then for 2017, we are supposed to get the remaining 71 CNGs, 53 small buses, whatever of this year's order that's still at Chandler or South Holland, plus anything on 2017 budget's 76 fixed route buses. Sure, there's growth for stuff like the I-90 project, but what really is in the pipeline?

The other weird thing is that while NW Orion VIs were headed to SW, now SW's are headed in the opposite direction.

___

*Based on the assumption that 6575 is on WebWatch.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:19 PM, Busjack said:

6156-61 probably will outlast the 2003 ones, since they are newer. Probably not the 2005s.

The real question is that while Pace always cries in its budget that there isn't enough money to meet its capital needs, suddenly at least 90 buses* showed up on a budget of 72, and that's Pace's usual M.O. Then for 2017, we are supposed to get the remaining 71 CNGs, 53 small buses, whatever of this year's order that's still at Chandler or South Holland, plus anything on 2017 budget's 76 fixed route buses. Sure, there's growth for stuff like the I-90 project, but what really is in the pipeline?

The other weird thing is that while NW Orion VIs were headed to SW, now SW's are headed in the opposite direction.

___

*Based on the assumption that 6575 is on WebWatch.

*6575 is confirmed out and about, I have seen it physically twice in the last week.  

6091 was just on 381 earlier this week so that's a fast turnaround.  Obviously the Orions were going to move from SW, although I thought it would be to retirement or at worst, West.  Not NW.  Maybe they are out during rush hour only?  That's what I've seen lately on Webwatch when it comes to the Orions.

#6156 was out this morning at west. Saw it on the #332. I guess the rest of the Orions will soon be leaving sw if they havent already.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

#6156 was out this morning at west. Saw it on the #332. I guess the rest of the Orions will soon be leaving sw if they havent already.

6161 was on a west route last night.

6 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

6161 was on a west route last night.

They are both out there now.  6157-6160 should join them next week.

18 hours ago, rotjohns said:

They are both out there now.  6157-6160 should join them next week.

6157 and 6159 are already at West. On 301 and 322 Thursday afternoon. 6156 was on 322 and 6161 on 309 at that time.

There were no Orion's on SW routes Thursday afternoon.

Until the end of last week, the WB trip on the #318 that leaves the Forest Park Transit Center at 6:02 AM used primarily Orion VI's. But this week, the ones that I rode have been NABI's instead of Orions. This is fueling the speculation that the Orions may be mostly retired.

Depends on the operator. The first bus on the #303 or #332 are almost always orions. Have the picks changed recently? It might be the operator likes orions or its the only bus thats available.

2 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

Until the end of last week, the WB trip on the #318 that leaves the Forest Park Transit Center at 6:02 AM used primarily Orion VI's. But this week, the ones that I rode have been NABI's instead of Orions. This is fueling the speculation that the Orions may be mostly retired.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Depends on the operator. The first bus on the #303 or #332 are almost always orions. Have the picks changed recently? It might be the operator likes orions or its the only bus thats available.

They're petering out, but not dead yet.For instance, gong around the NW Garage during rush hour, there are still some Orions hitting the road, and while 423 has been mostly EZ Riders and Axess, an Orion has been on it this week. So, BH is  undoubtedly correct.

Its really a toss up who will have the last orions. On one hand you have Pulse getting started and on the other you have south getting its cng's. Both will most likely retire the orions once and for all.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That  early in the  morning,  Prions aren't the  only buses available.   It just may be some driver's  preference.   I usually  see at least one  Orion on the 301, 303, 305, 307, 313, 332.  Undoubtedly  there's  one  row of Orion  buses in the ready line each weekday at West.   I don't  see them out at all on the weekend. 

Sometimes I  see one on the 250.  As a matter of  fact,  the  last  time I was on the  250, I rode  one.  I suppose  NW also has to send a few out each weekday also.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:30 AM, BusHunter said:

Its really a toss up who will have the last orions. On one hand you have Pulse getting started and on the other you have south getting its cng's. Both will most likely retire the orions once and for all.

Not only retiring the Orions, but you'll see some 6162s and 6600s probably heading out too.  I wonder when the "small" buses will arrive to the feeder routes?  

18 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Not only retiring the Orions, but you'll see some 6162s and 6600s probably heading out too.  I wonder when the "small" buses will arrive to the feeder routes?  

That brings up the "nothing in either agency's budget has hit the procurement stage." I suppose it doesn't take as long to procure a small bus as a large one, but since Pace still has its specifications on such things as the driver's cabinet and the type of gps in it (remembering specs for the Downers Grove and paratransit buses), it should have advertised it by now to get them by the end of 2017. Also, since they are to be funded out of a transfer from operating funds, any excuse relating to the state shouldn't be there.