Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

48 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Apparently Anniston can do full production of New Flyer buses like the St. Cloud and Winnipeg facilities. I don’t know how New Flyer determines which transit agency gets buses from which factory, or if they allow each agency to choose that in their orders. I’m not sure about the NABI plant, I thought they were just making parts for the buses still out there, but I could be wrong.

Could be. Nabis were being assembled out there because cali was where alot of the nabis were ordered. So they would have the facility to build. Its nf 's call whether they choose to build but if any parts come from overseas there is a port in california. That's probably why BYD is out there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Apparently Anniston can do full production of New Flyer buses like the St. Cloud and Winnipeg facilities. I don’t know how New Flyer determines which transit agency gets buses from which factory, or if they allow each agency to choose that in their orders. I’m not sure about the NABI plant, I thought they were just making parts for the buses still out there, but I could be wrong.

I mean, you would assume it’s based on distance, no?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That must have been an interesting ride. Sometimes I do charters where you pick people up at the bar. College kids and weddings and special events. They are allowed to drink on the bus which shocks me. Cause I think you can get pulled over if you do that in a car. Had a group one day hooting and hollering yelling at people outside the bus. Yelling at me to run people over cause they cut me off. I just joke back with them that if I did that there would be no me behind the wheel of this bus. You have to just tune them out and look at it for what it is a bunch of celebratory guys and gals who may have just celebrated too much. Better that they thought to use me as the designated driver than hit the roads themself. The bad side can be a heavy littering of the bus. There have been college parties that you would swear they thought they were still in the bar. Makes for interesting stories though. 

I didn’t know this when I was there, but you can eat and drink on the New York City Subway. Of course I was panicking about drinking a vending machine iced tea outside of the fare zone at Fulton St when I was really thirsty, but L train riders are celebrating Thanksgiving on their train! :P

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great film that involves transit! If you dont want to watch the whole thing. I suggest skipping to 52:00. Rest of the film is cool. If youre a GM 4507 "Old Look" bus fan, this movie is for you! :)  I had a custom die cast Corgi model of the bus in this movie made many years ago along with a GM 5301. This movie was said to be an early pilot for a tv show which would later become "CHiPs!" Enjoy!!!

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Politically, there is a similar urban/suburban split between Detroit DOT and SMART. Detroit and San Francisco can be explained by that the cities owned and operaSted the systems from way back.

7 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Since no longer Pace...

The political problem to which I referred was that there was a proposal for a SE Michigan RTA, but it never really got off the ground due to urban/suburban disagreement.

What this illustrates is that Detroit transit service has been owned and operated by the city since the streetcar days, and the city council has to approve all contracts. In that sense, Detroit is different from Chicago, in that CTA is its own municipal corporation, even though it was under the thumb of the 2 Daleys and Emanuel. There was the stink about Dorval Carter not appearing before the Chicago City Council, but he was under no greater obligation to do so than Lightfoot would have been to appear before the Evanston City Council over some stink over Howard Street.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, Guest said:

Great film that involves transit! If you dont want to watch the whole thing. I suggest skipping to 52:00. Rest of the film is cool. If youre a GM 4507 "Old Look" bus fan, this movie is for you! :)  I had a custom die cast Corgi model of the bus in this movie made many years ago along with a GM 5301. This movie was said to be an early pilot for a tv show which would later become "CHiPs!" Enjoy!!!

Video isn't available any more.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, BusHunter said:

Could be. Nabis were being assembled out there because cali was where alot of the nabis were ordered. So they would have the facility to build. Its nf 's call whether they choose to build but if any parts come from overseas there is a port in california. That's probably why BYD is out there. 

While riding the Pink Line, I noticed a bunch of Greyhound buses parked in a lot immediately west if the tracks north of the BNSF tracks.  There were about 20 or so motorcoaches and 5 to 10 of the minicoaches.  I know Greyhound has a garage at 901 N Halsted.  Does anyone know why Greyhound has buses near the UIC area?

• 3 months later...

Shootout on a Charlotte bus because driver wouldn't let off passenger at unauthorized stop (CNN, with video).

Observations:

• "Sneeze guard" didn't do much good.
  • Of the series of signs with red slashes, neither did the no guns symbol.
  • Chicago isn't that bad--whatever happened to pull the cherry and push the door?

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Shootout on a Charlotte bus because driver wouldn't let off passenger at unauthorized stop (CNN, with video).

Observations:

• "Sneeze guard" didn't do much good.
  • Of the series of signs with red slashes, neither did the no guns symbol.
  • Chicago isn't that bad--whatever happened to pull the cherry and push the door?

Based on what I saw, all the initial action took place at the front of the bus.  The bus driver also had a gun and returned fire .  

Even though CTA operators aren't supposed to have guns, I very much don't blame them if they carry one with them, even on duty.  No one is protecting them and they are usually sitting ducks.  While a firearm won't stop them from getting shot, shooting the assailant increases the chance that he's caught, if he doesn't die first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, Busjack said:

I mentioned before that every CTA bus (and train car) has 10 high definition cameras, and there are also a bunch in every station. You may "have seen nothing," but the incident was recorded. The guy was too dumb to figure out that he might be on the next TV news story: "this person {security camera image on screen) is suspected of ..." I don't know how many are arrested as a result, but he left the evidence. ...

On 10/14/2023 at 3:46 PM, Nitro said:

It depends on what you see and if the media will make anything publicized or not. Most crimes in the country aren't shown on the mainstream te lie vision.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, Busjack said:

Obviously, you don't get WGN-TV, WLS-TV, WMAQ-TV, or WBBM-TV in the New York market (unless you are streaming them on the apps). I don't purport to know what is on NEW YORK'S VERY OWN WPIX News, or on WABC7 Eyewitness News without Ravi Baichwal....

I saw this somewhere else, but apparently it made ABC7 Eyewitness News (NYC version) that some vigilante "fired a warning shot" when a homeless man was mugging a woman, all captured by a high-definition camera at the Cubic turnstile. At least the cops caught him.

Strange coincidence: The reporter used to work at WGN.

• 4 months later...