Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

• 2 months later...

Serious derailment and train accident occurred this morning in Long Island, NY. 100+ passengers injured.... my first thought was a sleeping operator(sound familiar), but then upon reading the story, it appears the train hit what is called a "bumping block" derailing it, and a rail actually pierced the bottom the train!!!! :O

http://abc7chicago.com/news/commuter-train-crashes-in-nyc;-over-100-injured/1685637/

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Serious derailment and train accident occurred this morning in Long Island, NY. 100+ passengers injured.... my first thought was a sleeping passenger(sound familiar), but then upon reading the story, it appears the train hit what is called a "bumping block" derailing it, and a rail actually pierced the bottom the train!!!! :O

http://abc7chicago.com/news/commuter-train-crashes-in-nyc;-over-100-injured/1685637/

Hoping some more info is given soon. I'm interested about how that rail ended up hitting the train. I'm sure they're focusing on the actions of the driver right now.

7 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Hoping some more info is given soon. I'm interested about how that rail ended up hitting the train. I'm sure they're focusing on the actions of the driver right now.

News Media probably won't have that, @MTRSP1900-CTA3200. Best bet is if the NTSB releases the investigation to the general public, but I don't know if they regularly do.... maybe if you're interested you can file a FOIA and get it that way. @Busjack would know best about this, I'm sure.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

News Media probably won't have that, @MTRSP1900-CTA3200. Best bet is if the NTSB releases the investigation to the general public, but I don't know if they regularly do.... maybe if you're interested you can file a FOIA and get it that way. @Busjack would know best about this, I'm sure.

They have a website. I'm not aware of any instance of them covering up an investigation,. Was the Britney Haywood incident covered up?

BTW, the only way this seems distinguishable from that is that Brittney managed to leap the stop, instead of just hit it.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

The media probably likely wouldn't have had as many details only because the report was soon after the accident and too early to know what happened. They may have more info than they did yesterday morning, but the NTSB's report would have the complete story of what happened after they've done their investigation and filed their report of that investigation. As Busjack mentioned, there is no reason the NTSB would withhold the results of their investigation from the public as they do have a website full of reports from other investigations they've done in other accidents that fell under their jurisdiction. As for what the bumping block is, it's that triangular shaped assembly that you see at the end of tracks terminate at a certain point, such as inside a terminal station like this one in the story or CTA's O'Hare Blue Line and Kimball Brown Line stations, inside a rail yard, or a freight line rail siding in some cases. Their purpose is to stop a slow moving train that misses a signal. As noted by Busjack, in the O'Hare Blue Line incident that rail operator managed to come into the station at a high enough speed to run the train over the blocking post into the station and part of the way up the escalator. In this LIRR accident, despite some passengers telling ABC News that it seemed the train was coming in faster than usual, the train did come in slow enough for the blocking post to do its job though still with some injuries and those injuries being far more minor relatively speaking than could have potentially happened.

17 minutes ago, jajuan said:

The media probably likely wouldn't have had as many details only because the report was soon after the accident and too early to know what happened. They may have more info than they did yesterday morning, but the NTSB's report would have the complete story of what happened after they've done their investigation and filed their report of that investigation.

And, in the CTA case, it took a year (Collision, March 24, 2014, report on April 28, 2015). Somebody wants instant gratification.

13 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Had to log in since I got a new phone...where are my notifications??? :ph34r:

Yes, as Busjack said, the NTSB has a website that I visit pretty regularly when I'm bored, or when something major happens. Otherwise I'll wait for updates. I never said it was the end of the world. :P

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

They have a website. I'm not aware of any instance of them covering up an investigation,. Was the Britney Haywood incident covered up?

BTW, the only way this seems distinguishable from that is that Brittney managed to leap the stop, instead of just hit it.

And boy did she leap it. In the LIRR case, the train moved up, but didn't necessarily jump too much. It looks like a little office was destroyed though.

25 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

And boy did she leap it. In the LIRR case, the train moved up, but didn't necessarily jump too much. It looks like a little office was destroyed though.

Doesn't sound that much different than the NJT train crashing into the station.

31 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Though the NJT case had a fatality, did it not?

Yes, And if one wants to find a parallel to the CTA case, more recent reports on the NJ case is that the engineer had sleep apnea, while Brittney had some sleep disorder.

I meant it only in the sense that a commuter train went off the end of the tracks, hitting or leaping the bumping post.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Doesn't sound that much different than the NJT train crashing into the station.

True. It appears that people in New York are already saying it's a smaller but similar wreck to the NJT one. It also seems that all three terminals are constructed similarly, with tracks that end with station areas after the bumpers.

4 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

True. It appears that people in New York are already saying it's a smaller but similar wreck to the NJT one. It also seems that all three terminals are constructed similarly, with tracks that end with station areas after the bumpers.

That is how nearly every terminal station is including Ogilvie, the North entrance to Millennium and both north and south concourses at Union!

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

That is how nearly every terminal station is including Ogilvie, the North entrance to Millennium and both north and south concourses at Union!

Basically any terminal [except those where trains go through to the yard (e.g. Howard, Forest Park, Harlem/Lake)] would be like that.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Another short freight train on the UP North line at Addison and Ravenswood heading south. About 15-20 cars total. 

20170421_152312.jpg

The UP that goes towards harvard runs short freights as I used to live really close by. Saw them alot, but they only run midday, I'm assuming that's when this was shot. The UP's down to two tracks in that area due too viaduct construction.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The UP that goes towards harvard runs short freights as I used to live really close by. Saw them alot, but they only run midday, I'm assuming that's when this was shot. The UP's down to two tracks in that area due too viaduct construction.

Which makes me think this might have been a ballast train. They certainly weren't hauling coal.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Heading south on the tracks only goes towards Clybourn Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center in the few times I've taken the UP-N in that direction. Is there some spur that I never noticed between Ravenswood Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center that this freight train would eventually be switched to?

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Which makes me think this might have been a ballast train. They certainly weren't hauling coal.

I didn't catch a shot of the Union Pacific Diesel locomotive or the first few cars as I was watching for my bus, but the first couple were not ballast cars, but flatcars hauling some wood. I don't know what the caboose is for at the end of the train.

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I didn't catch a shot of the Union Pacific Diesel locomotive or the first few cars as I was watching for my bus, but the first couple were not ballast cars, but flatcars hauling some wood. I don't know what the caboose is for at the end of the train.

Maybe there's a spur for someone that wants some wood. Don't know for certain but maybe there's a connection to goose island somewhere. 

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Wood could also be used for construction, especially if not covered up.

Regular freight train would not have a caboose, one because they don't, and two, if they were really dropping some cars off on a siding, they would have to uncouple it.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:54 AM, sw4400 said:

Heading south on the tracks only goes towards Clybourn Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center in the few times I've taken the UP-N in that direction. Is there some spur that I never noticed between Ravenswood Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center that this freight train would eventually be switched to?

There is rail access to Goose Island south of Clybourn station. There are a few interchange tracks where you often see a UP engine, that caboose, and a switcher from the Chicago Terminal Railroad which does local moves. I would suppose the caboose is for crew safety during backup moves, especially if there are any unprotected crossings or street running still around on any of the spurs. I don't know if UP actually does any switching or if they just drop the cars in the yard and let Chicago terminal handle them.

15 hours ago, Pace831 said:

There is rail access to Goose Island south of Clybourn station. There are a few interchange tracks where you often see a UP engine, that caboose, and a switcher from the Chicago Terminal Railroad which does local moves. I would suppose the caboose is for crew safety during backup moves, especially if there are any unprotected crossings or street running still around on any of the spurs. I don't know if UP actually does any switching or if they just drop the cars in the yard and let Chicago terminal handle them.

And sometimes surpass single railroad crossing on North Ave adjacent to Chicago River.