Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

​That SW8 is at least 61 years old. It sounds like it.

​That engine has sure lived a long life for six decades plus.... is it a diesel motor? It sounds different that engines I've heard today. It sounds like it could be a gasoline powered engine, or based on the ticking noise, perhaps electric? I saw some more videos.... I seen it moving up to five cars, and other cars than the hopper cars it usually pushes. One video showed it pushing a car with a frame in the middle, like the ones you see a glass truck with. Also one video had it also with a Union Pacific diesel engine in the mix. I wonder if it operates weekly, or if it's like twice a month or once a month, and is it like early morning to avoid congestion on the line like at North Avenue and the Chicago River Bridge.

​That engine has sure lived a long life for six decades plus.... is it a diesel motor? It sounds different that engines I've heard today. It sounds like it could be a gasoline powered engine, or based on the ticking noise, perhaps electric? I saw some more videos.... I seen it moving up to five cars, and other cars than the hopper cars it usually pushes. One video showed it pushing a car with a frame in the middle, like the ones you see a glass truck with. Also one video had it also with a Union Pacific diesel engine in the mix. I wonder if it operates weekly, or if it's like twice a month or once a month, and is it like early morning to avoid congestion on the line like at North Avenue and the Chicago River Bridge.

​It's the older design from EMD of their original 2 cycle engine. It's an 8 cylinder. It's rarely used, as I see it sit in the UP/C&NW North Ave. Yard for days & maybe weeks at a time without moving.

My guess is that the engine is close to being totally worn out & the railroad is using it until it dies. According to the Wikipedia article on it, there were several hundred built, with a number shipped to South Korea for the US Army & then turned over to the South Korean Railway. They still have a few running, but my guess is that there are few running in this country anymore.

​It's the older design from EMD of their original 2 cycle engine. It's an 8 cylinder. It's rarely used, as I see it sit in the UP/C&NW North Ave. Yard for days & maybe weeks at a time without moving.

My guess is that the engine is close to being totally worn out & the railroad is using it until it dies. According to the Wikipedia article on it, there were several hundred built, with a number shipped to South Korea for the US Army & then turned over to the South Korean Railway. They still have a few running, but my guess is that there are few running in this country anymore.

​You would be surprised... Old EMD's are still quite plentiful, especially switchers. You can still get parts, no problem. A 567 motor is a 567 motor, they were built until 1969, and later for export.

​I don't believe that will be the end of rail service on this lightly used line when the SW8 conks out for good. I presume that Union Pacific will donate a semi-retired or retired locomotive for this line. That might explain why in one video, a Union Pacific locomotive was used with SW8.... it was tiring and needed repair and was having difficulty just pulling 4-5 cars.

​I don't believe that will be the end of rail service on this lightly used line when the SW8 conks out for good. I presume that Union Pacific will donate a semi-retired or retired locomotive for this line. That might explain why in one video, a Union Pacific locomotive was used with SW8.... it was tiring and needed repair and was having difficulty just pulling 4-5 cars.

​Chicago Terminal's owner (Iowa Pacific Holdings) leases its locomotives from an outfit called Independent Locomotive Service. ILS has at least a hundred around the Midwest, leased to various grain elevators and industries. They could come up with a replacement in 24 hours. But 900 is is no danger of dying. Actually looks like it is in very good condition, as do all ILS locomotives. In the railroad business, age really dos not matter all that much. Amtrak has an old SW1 working at Roosevelt that dates from 1939, and Metra 1 and 2 are not much newer. As long as they are properly maintained and not overstressed (and hauling 4 or 5 cars a couple of miles every few days is not by any stretch "overstressing", it can last indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I want to say welcome to the forums! I'm guessing Riveredge Hosptial because it was no way in hell that would've happened at Madden Mental Health Center across the street from Riveredge. That's really insane though but that wasn't the first time somebody escaped from that hospital.

​Having used Roosevelt to drop someone off at Loyola, I noted a "Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers" sign in front of Madden, so, I assume there is some correlation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

In the world of the truly bizarre, there are articles (a free source) that the head of United Airlines got canned with a big severance package because there was some kind of deal between him and the head of the Port Authority to institute flights to useless places in return for the Port Authority doing something to extend PATH trains to Newark Airport.

Shame that Jane Byrne couldn't have figured it out in 1983, nor that Blago never did.

In the world of the truly bizarre, there are articles (a free source) that the head of United Airlines got canned with a big severance package because there was some kind of deal between him and the head of the Port Authority to institute flights to useless places in return for the Port Authority doing something to extend PATH trains to Newark Airport.

Shame that Jane Byrne couldn't have figured it out in 1983, nor that Blago never did.

Good. Not trying to turn this into an airline thread, but I really hate what Simesk has done to United. At least they've stopped playing those stupid videos that try to show how good United is before the safety videos.

And the plan wouldn't even have PATH trains running directly into the airport, according to this site.

And the plan wouldn't even have PATH trains running directly into the airport, according to this site.

Although the Port Authority is a bistate commission, that post implicitly raises the issue that the link, as there described, is only justified as helping people from lower Manhattan get to Newark, while not having any local transit benefit. That's sort of like if the Gary airport were viable, building a South Shore extension closer to the terminal solely for an express Chicago train.

It also appears that the author is complaining about the train ending at the kiss and ride for the internal airport transport system, sort of like the North Central Service at O'Hare.

But given the cost for constructing 2.5 miles on existing right of way in New Jersey, you know which state would get the construction jobs and kickbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

This could've ended very badly if this engineer went into emergency a half second later. You need to pay attention to the rail signals for your track. Sure when Amtrak got this information, this engineer might've been suspended or terminated.

I can hear the Feds screaming about how PTC would have prevented this and blah blah blah...

• 1 month later...

Just saw a link to a press release on the Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board site saying that New Flyer announced it's buying MCI.

May as well go to the official source.

Looks like everything owned by venture capital is in play.

Also, with the reference to Marcopolo's ownership interest in NF, whether MCIs will have Marcopolo influences (such as Volvo on Novabus).

Just saw a link to a press release on the Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board site saying that New Flyer announced it's buying MCI.

I wonder then if New Flyer plans to close the MCI Des Plaines facility? Or could they possibly build a New Flyer plant here in Des Plaines. That's what they did in Anniston,Alabama. With that plant in the south, the NF plant in Canada and one on the west coast (LA) it might make sense to put a plant here. They could cut off about 600-700 miles of driving in transporting their vehicles plus they would be closer to the big buyers of the east and here in Chicago.

I wonder then if New Flyer plans to close the MCI Des Plaines facility? Or could they possibly build a New Flyer plant here in Des Plaines. That's what they did in Anniston,Alabama. With that plant in the south, the NF plant in Canada and one on the west coast (LA) it might make sense to put a plant here. They could cut off about 600-700 miles of driving in transporting their vehicles plus they would be closer to the big buyers of the east and here in Chicago.

The assembly plant is in North Dakota. That would be the only analogue to NF keeping open the NABI assembly plant. Corporate is probably gone from Des Plaines; MCI/Setra sales and customer service stay there.

Look at the Press Release, which says: At closing, MCI will operate as a separate division within publicly held New Flyer, with no changes planned at its Winnipeg and Pembina plants, Louisville, Kentucky, parts warehouse or six MCI Sales and Service Centers in the U.S. and Canada.

The assembly plant is in North Dakota. That would be the only analogue to NF keeping open the NABI assembly plant. Corporate is probably gone from Des Plaines; MCI/Setra sales and customer service stay there.

Look at the Press Release, which says: At closing, MCI will operate as a separate division within publicly held New Flyer, with no changes planned at its Winnipeg and Pembina plants, Louisville, Kentucky, parts warehouse or six MCI Sales and Service Centers in the U.S. and Canada.

Yeah, but that's probably what they said at the anniston site a few years ago. MCI will cease to exist or it's meaning will be construed as owned by NF. I wouldn't doubt they do the same as they did at NABI, after a few years the MCI name will die. I think it's a bit psychological, if they did say they would close the sites, it's employees would be all looking for the door. This way the employees stick around and they decide who gets axed within a few years. They will need employees to carry on the operation but as they merge together some jobs will overlap. It's there that the cutting begins.

Yeah, but that's probably what they said at the anniston site a few years ago. MCI will cease to exist or it's meaning will be construed as owned by NF. I wouldn't doubt they do the same as they did at NABI, after a few years the MCI name will die. I think it's a bit psychological, if they did say they would close the sites, it's employees would be all looking for the door. This way the employees stick around and they decide who gets axed within a few years. They will need employees to carry on the operation but as they merge together some jobs will overlap. It's there that the cutting begins.

The brand issue is essentially the same as why Channel 7 has ESPN on ABC, rather than ESPN being the ABC Sports Network, as opposed to Versus becoming NBC Sports Network, i.e. essentially irrelevant except for image. The issue is also similar to what I mentioned earlier of Jewel's house brand going from Essential Everyday to Safeway (but calling it Signature).

What is relevant is that NABI was a transit bus assembler, but MCI is not. All of the press releases say that the product lines do not overlap. New Flyer no longer makes the Viking.

MCI doesn't build buses, what about North Dakota? That seems scary close to St Cloud, MN. The question is would they maintain facilities within 100-150 miles of each other or not. I know one thing the MCI CEO is already gone next year, it says that in the article.

That question does essentially get down to the NABI question. Apparently NF needed the Alabama production capacity. Now that the discussion involves North Dakota, the question gets down to whether it pays to move the assembly line for essentially a different platform. But that's about the same as Prevost having to build a new facility for Prevost assembly next door to the Nova factory, instead of assembling motor coaches on the Nova production line.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Great, now I'll have to remember to check the seat for spikes and flames before I sit down, in addition to certain other things sometimes found on bus seats.

Preparation H will take care of those problems.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...