Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

Yahoo! story that Washington state’s Department of Labor and Industries fined King County Metro for not providing adequate bathroom facilities for drivers, forcing them to wear diapers and giving drivers' seats the smell of urine.

Thus, if you thought CTA was bad..........

Yeah that is pretty bad. Don't they have a union and if they do who's leading it. Big Bird?? :rolleyes:

Yeah that is pretty bad. Don't they have a union and if they do who's leading it. Big Bird?? :rolleyes:

Search indicates ATU Local 587.

Story reminds me of a June Allyson Depends commercial where she was working at a day care, and presumably after she changed the babies' diapers, they changed hers.

Yahoo! story that Washington state’s Department of Labor and Industries fined King County Metro for not providing adequate bathroom facilities for drivers, forcing them to wear diapers and giving drivers' seats the smell of urine.

Thus, if you thought CTA was bad..........

Ugh. I hope Sound Transit isn't as bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an e-mail from Streetsblog and when you get to the bottom, they are having a donor party or otherwise they stay out of business. From what I have posted about them here, what makes them think I want to donate?

It appears that they got that address in that they let me post something there in opposition to something like the Ashland BRT.

In other news reports, WMATA has apparently been losing NB trains during rush hour. For about (when i've been on) the 5th time in 4 days, the train has skipped Takoma (my stop) and only twice have they told people before leaving Fort Totten (the stop beforehand). To top off the random express trains, we have either forgetful operators or forgetful line supervisors who don't tell people the stop is being skipped until the train has pulled off and its on its way to (past) the skipped stop. At least CTA is good about keeping people up to notice about this.

Sounds similar to the Metra car at the Illinois Public Safety Training Academy in Glenview.

However, as we all know, most CTA cars go on scrap contracts.

Cool!

Apparently there's also "Redbird Reefs" in the Atlantic Ocean.

Sounds similar to the Metra car at the Illinois Public Safety Training Academy in Glenview...

Interesting use for a Pullman. I've linked a Photo of the site, for those who haven't seen it.

Very jealous! Will they operate them with ATO, or is that still just the red line?

WMATA put a hold on all ATO after the Fort Totten incident. And with recent budget cuts, Moody downgrading their credit rating, hints of VA (except NOVA, I guess) getting stingy with funding, it doesn't seem like it's gonna start up anytime soon. Not to mention, they might want to get the radio service back under control. :unsure:

The part that gets me actually, is that they are starting on the Blue Line all the way down in Franconia when all the testing has been on at Greenbelt on the Green Line and on the whole Red Line. The train wasn't even being kept at Eisenhower Yard, it was being kept at Greenbelt yard. Oh well, I'm just hoping that the second train (which either goes into service in 2 weeks or gets delivered in 2 weeks) goes to the Red Line. Bye Bye Chocolate Stripe.

WMATA put a hold on all ATO after the Fort Totten incident. And with recent budget cuts, Moody downgrading their credit rating, hints of VA (except NOVA, I guess) getting stingy with funding, it doesn't seem like it's gonna start up anytime soon. Not to mention, they might want to get the radio service back under control. :unsure:

The part that gets me actually, is that they are starting on the Blue Line all the way down in Franconia when all the testing has been on at Greenbelt on the Green Line and on the whole Red Line. The train wasn't even being kept at Eisenhower Yard, it was being kept at Greenbelt yard. Oh well, I'm just hoping that the second train (which either goes into service in 2 weeks or gets delivered in 2 weeks) goes to the Red Line. Bye Bye Chocolate Stripe.

I heard that the red line was already back on ATO, starting either late last year or early this year.

I heard that the red line was already back on ATO, starting either late last year or early this year.

I haven't seen it, and the Red Line is the one I ride all the time, so unless they are doing specific midday or late weekend times, it isn't back on. Now, to your credit, it might not be the Red Line, but another line.

I haven't seen it, and the Red Line is the one I ride all the time, so unless they are doing specific midday or late weekend times, it isn't back on. Now, to your credit, it might not be the Red Line, but another line.

I saw it mentioned on a number of news sites, this being one of them: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/computer-driven-trains-returning-to-metros-red-line-five-years-after-deadly-rail-crash/2014/09/20/68790a32-3e04-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

I also saw that the WMATA 7000-series specs imply that they will mainly be driven with ATO.

Is it easy to tell whether a train is being driven manually or with ATO?

EDIT: According to this official WMATA document, "The Red Line ATO reactivation will be implemented in March 2015 after successful completion of reactivation process certification and operator/technician familiarization training." So I guess they either just implemented it or are slightly behind schedule and will be implementing it soon.

I saw it mentioned on a number of news sites, this being one of them: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/computer-driven-trains-returning-to-metros-red-line-five-years-after-deadly-rail-crash/2014/09/20/68790a32-3e04-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

I also saw that the WMATA 7000-series specs imply that they will mainly be driven with ATO.

Is it easy to tell whether a train is being driven manually or with ATO?

EDIT: According to this official WMATA document, "The Red Line ATO reactivation will be implemented in March 2015 after successful completion of reactivation process certification and operator/technician familiarization training." So I guess they either just implemented it or are slightly behind schedule and will be implementing it soon.

After reading this, than its a good possibility that the first train on the 14th might be ATO. In regards for whether or not it's easy to tell, yeah it is.

106_1.jpg

In this image, the operator is always in the left side of the window, and if you are physically there, the windows are very clean (at least in the fron) so you can always see the operator if you look for him/her

I had originally looked at reports that explained why the BLue Line was getting it first - mainly since service through Rosslyn was replaced with Silver Line service - and this was a attempt to save face.

A shiny new trains, however wonderful, doesn't make up for a huge loss in service. But, even before the Silver Line, i've maintained that the Blue Line should be closed, especially with 1 singular station (Arlington Cemetary) and now the cut in service (12 trains to 6), among other things.

A lot of run # displays (LED ones) across many series of buses have been "saying" A3 ME instead of BX02, for example. One time, even the destination sign had "A3 MESSAGE?" Anybody know anything?

During the early days of the CTA 5800s, the headsigns showed something like that, apparently indicating that they had not been programmed.