Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

I remembered riding one of these buses to Navy Pier for the post prom on the Mystic Cruise (one hell of a night to remember) back in 2008. I decided to post the video of one of them while I was at work on a delivery this past Friday. Love the sound of the Detroit 6V92TA Engine!!! :)

Courtesy of Alexis Coach Lines (Former MTA's coach buses???)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osfwhk6bg05q6ky/2015-02-27%2020.51.45.mov?dl=0

I remembered riding one of these buses to Navy Pier for the post prom on the Mystic Cruise (one hell of a night to remember) back in 2008. I decided to post the video of one of them while I was at work on a delivery this past Friday. Love the sound of the Detroit 6V92TA Engine!!! :)

It sounds like the New Looks (both GMC and Flx) CTA had prior to the 1970s.

So, our area (DC) posted something about your area (Chi). I'm both, but hey, apparently, Chicago has the world-famous "L" trains.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/25910/in-chicago-you-can-charter-your-own-l-train/

I laughed at the part about Amtrak.

"So if you, ya know, just so happen to have a spare rail car lying around, feel free to attach it to one of our trains!"

Former Colonial or Pioneer Coach. Just like those companies, equipment not well maintained.

Your welcome. Also the owner of Colonial and Academy also is the current owner of Alexis. That is discussed in the Academy Pace thread.

While I remember Pioneer and Colonial buses on 610, I doubt that these are those, in that they were regular Pioneer and Colonial coaches, rather than commuters, and most of that inventory was auctioned off in the bankruptcy.

I probably sound crazy for this, but the sound reminds me of the Flxible Metros and RTS buses I used to see on the 86 as a kid. The bus looks more like the private tour buses I've been on at the Boeing Airplane Factory though.

I probably sound crazy for this, but the sound reminds me of the Flxible Metros and RTS buses I used to see on the 86 as a kid. The bus looks more like the private tour buses I've been on at the Boeing Airplane Factory though.

I think the difference between the Flxibles/RTS' and the Alexis buses is the gears. I think Flxibles and RTS had a 4-speed transmission.

I think the difference between the Flxibles/RTS' and the Alexis buses is the gears. I think Flxibles and RTS had a 4-speed transmission.

Those coaches are 4 speed automatics. If you select D, the bus automatically shifts. I preferred shifting myself starting in 2, then 3, then D. This is when you can get the higher RPMs before shifts.

Your welcome. Also the owner of Colonial and Academy also is the current owner of Alexis. That is discussed in the Academy Pace thread.

Not necessarily. Colonial used to operate the 610 from Rosemont to Prairie Stone with those coaches back in the early 90s. More than likely those buses were purchased new.

Pretty sure those (back flip-dot) buses were bought used (Why does DART keep popping into my head?), as colonial bought some of the buses used (most new), but 610 buses were fairly new through the 90's and 00's.

Edited by MetroShadow
  • Upvote 1

Not transit, but consistent with sw's interest in the WWE: TMZ; originally seen in the Tribune, which didn't say who Lisa Marie was. Maybe I didn't make the connection that Lisa Marie was Victoria, but I knew she wasn't A.J. or one of the Bella Twins.

I guess the suspect gets on the list of stupid criminals for saying he entered the restaurant to hide after the robbed a drug dealer.

Former Colonial or Pioneer Coach. Just like those companies, equipment not well maintained.

#844!! I drove that bus a few times when I worked at Academy. That bus was a former Dallas DART commuter bus

Yahoo! story that Washington state’s Department of Labor and Industries fined King County Metro for not providing adequate bathroom facilities for drivers, forcing them to wear diapers and giving drivers' seats the smell of urine.

Thus, if you thought CTA was bad..........