Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

• 3 weeks later...

Remember how everyone likes to joke about zombies being real and people being possessed like the girl from The Exorcist? Check this out!!! Weird to the max!!!

Only things it proves are

• Mr. CTA must also work there.
  • As usually the case in the NFL, the retaliator gets the penalty.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this thread would be appropriate for this question: What's the weirdest sounding commuter/subway train you've ever heard, in real life or on Youtube?

For me, it's a tie between the E231 in Japan and the London Underground 1996 Stock, both on Youtube.

Sounds like the London Underground was trying to strangle a cat.

The green IC cars were pretty weird. They would be quiet, then the air compressors would start chugging, and then the electric motors would kick in.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the London Underground was trying to strangle a cat.

The green IC cars were pretty weird. They would be quiet, then the air compressors would start chugging, and then the electric motors would kick in.

The explanation for the LU trains is pretty complicated, so I'll go with your idea. :P

As for the E231, I've noticed more trains that sound like that, at least in Asia.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need someone familiar with Chicago's history here.....

These bridges on Ashland near Clybourn and at Webster look like they were/still are operable(raises and lowers). Anyone know if they are/were and when they last were if indeed they were active bridges. There's no lights or warning devices on them, so I imagine CDOT would have to block traffic if they needed to be risen.

post-10-0-97518500-1418200491_thumb.jpg

These bridges on Ashland near Clybourn and at Webster look like they were/still are operable(raises and lowers). Anyone know if they are/were and when they last were if indeed they were active bridges. There's no lights or warning devices on them, so I imagine CDOT would have to block traffic if they needed to be risen.

While the truss and bridge house are visible, there would have to be things like counterweights and gears for the bridge to lift. So,. I guess you would have to go back and look for them. They certainly are on the downtown bridges.

While the truss and bridge house are visible, there would have to be things like counterweights and gears for the bridge to lift. So,. I guess you would have to go back and look for them. They certainly are on the downtown bridges.

It's been a very long time, maybe 30+ years. Just west of Ashland is the Deering Bridge that the C&NW Ry. built & it's locked down, the bridge house is boarded up & abandoned & the rails across it are continuous welded rail, so it will never be able to go up. I wish the Union Pacific would wreck the huge concrete counter weights on the bridge so they wouldn't be grafittied any more.

It's been a very long time, maybe 30+ years. Just west of Ashland is the Deering Bridge that the C&NW Ry. built & it's locked down, the bridge house is boarded up & abandoned & the rails across it are continuous welded rail, so it will never be able to go up. I wish the Union Pacific would wreck the huge concrete counter weights on the bridge so they wouldn't be grafittied any more.

The other thing I noted is that the photo doesn't show a joint between the bridge deck and the rest of the street, and if one doesn't exist, the bridge is not going to lift. The change in the color of the pavement seems to be on this side of the traffic light pole.

The other thing I noted is that the photo doesn't show a joint between the bridge deck and the rest of the street, and if one doesn't exist, the bridge is not going to lift. The change in the color of the pavement seems to be on this side of the traffic light pole.

That's what I was thinking too... these bridges are just for pedestrian and vehicular crossing purposes. The lack of warning lights and gates made me hypothesize that too. Because if these were operable and a tall boat needed to pass them, they would require CDOT to block all lanes of traffic to do a bridge lift.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone needs to tell LA to take down these signs or something bad might happen. :rolleyes::P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152485202641087&set=a.10150198911411087.316344.587546086&type=1&theater

At this point, one has to wonder if the relatives of Menta Lee Il are bluff or have the ability to carry out their terrorist threats. I doubt that they have agents at every bus shelter.

I'd be more worried about the vigilantes like the guy who shot the 2 NY police officers.

Someone needs to tell LA to take down these signs or something bad might happen. :rolleyes::P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152485202641087&set=a.10150198911411087.316344.587546086&type=1&theater

Double down.

Come to think about it, someone from essentially Albany Park through Glevinew should tell us what the Korean characters on the sign mean. I bet it isn't "shop at Super H Mart."

Since were talking about snow, I have an interesting video here of snow removal on the SP. Can snow be more powerful than a locomotive? (like Superman) Watch the video for the answer. This is an interesting video here of two goliaths battling it out a locomotive vs. mother nature. Who will win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okBdCYhmks

Since were talking about snow, I have an interesting video here of snow removal on the SP. Can snow be more powerful than a locomotive? (like Superman) Watch the video for the answer. This is an interesting video here of two goliaths battling it out a locomotive vs. mother nature. Who will win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okBdCYhmks

I saw a YouTube about a UP rotary that was built in 1936 with a steam engine & is still in use, but now uses a diesel to power it, but still has a steam boiler on board to melt the snow off of it in operation. It has a pair of wings that can move out about a foot to clear a wider path.

The UP foreman said it's only about once every ten years.

The video was from 2009 I think.