Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, strictures said:

It's worse than that. A NY Times travel writer was on board that bus.

NYT reporter on burning Megabus

@frugaltraveler. Now we learn that cheap doesn't pay.

I see someone posted there a picture of the Bolt Bus. Maybe next he'll arrange to ride CTA.

On 2/22/2016 at 3:27 AM, sw4400 said:

Getting back, later stories seem to indicate that something happened to the tire, which set off the conflagration. Since this sounds similar to 4333, I wonder if anything is being  done to prevent this kind of mass destruction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Think CTA's Construction Delays are bad??? Check this out..... we're talking the whole line here!!!

http://theweek.com/speedreads/615851/dc-metro-could-suspend-rail-service-6-months

Sounds like Kruesi was running WMATA while he was running CTA, or maybe it was his evil twin. That system sounds more fallen apart in about 45 years than CTA in 123.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Another WMATA-related story here.... this one involved a track fire in 2015 that killed one person and injured 91 more. NTSB said WMATA had a poor attitude towards safety(and I thought the Blue Line derailment in 2006 was bad)....

Story

This is worse, because in the CTA Blue Line incident, the passengers were able to exit the cars and get to the escapes in the sidewalks, even if the exits were not adequately marked and lit. It sounds (from the statement "unable to pry open the doors") like the WMATA cars don't even have cherries or the equivalent.

8 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

If you think WMATA trains are unsafe, you can take your chances on the bus instead.

That's why they need a tank sneeze guard. xD Still though a person could threaten you around the sneeze guard. They really need a divided partition that's weapon proof. I don't see many rail operators being threatened, at least while they are in the cab.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That's why they need a tank sneeze guard. xD Still though a person could threaten you around the sneeze guard. They really need a divided partition that's weapon proof. I don't see many rail operators being threatened, at least while they are in the cab.

Sneeze guard probably deters needle nose pliers. However, if you ban needle nose pliers, only criminals will have them.

I  wonder (in light of the teenager who pawned himself off as a CTA driver) whether all the stuff in the Clever Device would have prevented unauthorized operation of the bus, if someone got some pliers from a local ACE Hardware and tried something similar here.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

If you think WMATA trains are unsafe, you can take your chances on the bus instead.

WMATA trains must have an emergency opening, as the article on that smoke filled tunnel incident said the passengers "self-evacuated", which was why their incompetent Rail Control Center, shut off the third rail power & also turned the two ventilating fans on either side of the train incorrectly, which caused everything to be cleared of smoke, except the smoke filled train continued to be smoke filled & one woman died on the train. Read the WaPo article, as NTSB called their Rail Control Center truly incompetent & incapable of any type of correct response to any emergency.

53 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Sneeze guard probably deters needle don'te pliers. However, if you ban needle nose pliers, only criminals will have them.

I  wonder (in light of the teenager who pawned himself off as a CTA driver) whether all the stuff in the Clever Device would have prevented unauthorized operation of the bus, if someone got some pliers from a local ACE Hardware and tried something similar here.

If someone threatened an operator and asked for there pass code I don't see why the same couldn't happen here. They need a remote that kills the bus this way you can't do that. 

On May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Busjack said:

This is worse, because in the CTA Blue Line incident, the passengers were able to exit the cars and get to the escapes in the sidewalks, even if the exits were not adequately marked and lit. It sounds (from the statement "unable to pry open the doors") like the WMATA cars don't even have cherries or the equivalent.

19 hours ago, strictures said:

WMATA trains must have an emergency opening, as the article on that smoke filled tunnel incident said the passengers "self-evacuated", which was why their incompetent Rail Control Center, shut off the third rail power...

I looked around, and found a little animation on their website. You can view it yourself here.

It looks like WMATA cars have emergency door openers, but only for the center doors, and it might only open the left door panel. The devices aren't as simple as a cherry either. It looks like you have to lift up a cover and pull down a latch before anything happens. Passengers might have also escaped through the end doors, which are apparently unlocked.

5 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I looked around, and found a little animation on their website. You can view it yourself here.

It looks like WMATA cars have emergency door openers, but only for the center doors, and it might only open the left door panel. The devices aren't as simple as a cherry either. It looks like you have to lift up a cover and pull down a latch before anything happens. Passengers might have also escaped through the end doors, which are apparently unlocked.

If the actual procedures are as messed up as the slide show, I can see how the average passenger became trapped.

Aside from it requiring that various equipment boxes be opened in an emergency (beside the door one, emergency call boxes in the tunnels), it starts up by saying to listen to the operator, but the story indicates that the only announcements were to stay calm.

At least CTA has, besides cherries, a placard on each car with emergency instructions.

On May 10, 2016 at 0:51 PM, Busjack said:

This one was on the WGN Noon News, but this seems to be the original source, usual caption is Bus Photobombs Demolition.

The person was surprisingly calm for someone who got their shot ruined. Given the way the Daily Mail presented the page, I expected more shouting and cussing.

9 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The person was surprisingly calm for someone who got their shot ruined. Given the way the Daily Mail presented the page, I expected more shouting and cussing.

Of course you can be calm and cuss..... like this(Warning: ***Graphic Language***).....