Whats Left For The Nova LFS #6400's

YoungBusLover

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think they would head to 77th, (or something else will) there going to need extra buses now if they intend to do the #8. Also 74th is going to need buses if there going to do the #62 and the few other routes there being assigned. But most likely someone will be getting buses from Kedzie. They have lost both the #8, #62 and some of the cut service. As far as the #4300's, hopefully they can get them in service by Dec 16th or they will have a decrowding plan with the best buses to do that sitting in a bus garage collecting dust.

Actually, Kedzie lost only a couple of buses (equipment-wise) in the December 2012 pick: They lost 40-foot NF buses 1345-1346 (and maybe the rest of the 1340s and even some 1350s) to Chicago Garage. Sure, route-wise they lost the #8 and #62, but they gained the #35 (and perhaps the #39) and most of the runs on the #82 formerly operated out of NP (NP retaining only those school day only trips on that route).

As for the supposed swap between NP and FG, it was more of a compensatory move. FG did gain 6692-6707 from NP - but only because FG lost 6820-6831 and 6833-6847 to 77th. To compensate for the loss of Novas at NP, 103rd sent NF artics 4070-4079 to NP. Finally, 103rd received four 40-foot NFs from FG - 1254-1257. And 77th did send NF #1972 back to Chicago Garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, Kedzie lost only a couple of buses (equipment-wise) in the December 2012 pick: They lost 40-foot NF buses 1345-1346 (and maybe the rest of the 1340s and even some 1350s) to Chicago Garage.

Actually they still have 1347 and up from what share they had out of the 1300s. I've seen them in service on various Kedzie routes over the course of the holidays. As a matter of fact 1347 is on the 126 now.

#6615 may bite the dust soon if its not repaired . And after riding it yesterday on route #55 it didnt look that good from the inside out lol. Like there was parts and pieces just falling off of the staircase by the rear door and even a cap fell of the back door. But on a good note it did have a good running engine and tranny it kinda sounded like an old Flxible #6300 lol :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being towed? Not good.

*starts crying*

Well it's a 2002 model that is 11 years old without a rehab with who knows how many miles(I'm going to guess 450,000-600,000 miles). They're getting tired. But I don't think that'll be the last you'll see of 6813 or the other one or two low 6800's that have been towed. I don't think the NOVA LFS Generation I will start falling off in great numbers until halfway through 2014, maybe near the end of 2014 we'll see full retirement. They all have the Ventra readers, so they'll at least be around that long, I think. NOVA LFS Generation II should begin to show up in February 2014, with a pilot due possibly in December this year. So while Generation I leaves us in 2014, Generation II will fill the void.

Well it's a 2002 model that is 11 years old without a rehab with who knows how many miles(I'm going to guess 450,000-600,000 miles). They're getting tired. But I don't think that'll be the last you'll see of 6813 or the other one or two low 6800's that have been towed. I don't think the NOVA LFS Generation I will start falling off in great numbers until halfway through 2014, maybe near the end of 2014 we'll see full retirement. They all have the Ventra readers, so they'll at least be around that long, I think. NOVA LFS Generation II should begin to show up in February 2014, with a pilot due possibly in December this year. So while Generation I leaves us in 2014, Generation II will fill the void.

• They got some sort of rehab when they were repainted and got the target CTA logo. Apparently not as extensive as the 5800s got and the 1000s are supposed to get.
  • These buses are on a financial lease--CTA does not own them outright. So, CTA would either have to pay off the lease or fix the bus.
  • Towing isn't scrapping. Now, if someone saw structural damage (like the one that hit the bridge beam, killing the driver), that would be a different situation.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO the 6400s seem rather sluggish. Is that because they are reaching retirement age or were they underpowered?

Will the next series of Novas be any better?

They sure weren't underpowered when new. There were complaints, to which I concurred, that the acceleration was jerking the passengers around.

So, the diesel engines are probably now clogged.

Also, the new ones are going to get 2013 EPA Cummins engines, not whatever was standard in 1999.

Well as the years go on, the engines get tired. I know many mentioned how good the Flxible 5300's were with acceleration in the beginning, but toward the end they were sluggish. Even the GM Fishbowls I bet were very quick in the 1970's but near their end in 1996, I bet they were sluggish too. Fuel systems, throttle body, transmissions... they all get tired due to age and wear and tear. Next year, the CTA might start retiring NOVA LFS buses that require too much work(e.g: Fuel system needs replacement, transmission goes out, etc...). I believe 2014 will be the final year for Generation I of the NOVA LFS as that'll mark the 12th year of service for the newest ones built in 2002.

...I believe 2014 will be the final year for Generation I of the NOVA LFS as that'll mark the 12th year of service for the newest ones built in 2002.

It might be close, with 300 new ones on order and theoretically a certain number being crushed when the estimated 100 buses go off Dan Ryan work. I still think a bit short, though, given either unexercised options for 150 40 foot buses or the outstanding procurement for more artics.

Well as the years go on, the engines get tired. I know many mentioned how good the Flxible 5300's were with acceleration in the beginning, but toward the end they were sluggish. Even the GM Fishbowls I bet were very quick in the 1970's but near their end in 1996, I bet they were sluggish too. Fuel systems, throttle body, transmissions... they all get tired due to age and wear and tear. Next year, the CTA might start retiring NOVA LFS buses that require too much work(e.g: Fuel system needs replacement, transmission goes out, etc...). I believe 2014 will be the final year for Generation I of the NOVA LFS as that'll mark the 12th year of service for the newest ones built in 2002.

And the 4400s were also quick until their A/C & Mid-life Rehab, then they were so sluggish as well.

• 2 months later...