CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

The only news outlet that was cited here was NBC, and at the time I commented, well that matches the number of cars projected. Moving ~60 2400s to Midway for Brownage service, and various CTA statements about fleet expansion came after that. Also, I am not relying on what Purple Line junk may still be in the yard, but essentially on chicago-l,org's car assignment sheets, for gross numbers per line as opposed to particular cars (although its 1360 total number is bloated with 64 long term holds, which might be enough to substitute for the 2400s at Midway, but certainly not the 3200s). With 400 5000s now on the property, I assume that some number of 2400s has been scrapped by now. However, there is no indication that 400 cars have been scrapped; as I said earlier, it is more likely around 270.

So based on what chicago l has for both red and purple that's 486 cars. That still leaves 228 cars. 140 for the pink/green with 80 left for the orange line, but really that should be closer to 100 as 90 cars can run the purple line. That's just extra cars because they are all #2400's on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe 5411-5416 are on the Red Line for weekends because the Purple Line only runs 4-car shuttles on weekends. They could go back to the Purple Line starting Monday morning rush-hour.

Or maybe it might just be that cars at Howard float, as others have said.

Saw 2479 making it's "final trip" WB on Touhy at NW Hwy on lowboy, fully intact. Where is it going? Not to Chicago Hts where 2200's were scrapped?

BL Duke is supposed to be the scrapper on this contract not Belson which was based in Chicago Hts I believe.

Saw 2479 making it's "final trip" WB on Touhy at NW Hwy on lowboy, fully intact. Where is it going? Not to Chicago Hts where 2200's were scrapped?

Sad to hear 2479-2480 are off to the scrap yard. Those had to be the luckiest pair of 2400-series cars surviving 2 fires and at least 3 derailments.

• 4 weeks later...

The Purple Line lost a few more 2400-series cars to the Orange Line (2473-2474, 2539-2540, 2571-2572, and possibly 2581-2582) which now only leaves them 8 to 12 cars.

Yeah, there were a ton of extra #2600's in the western side of Howard yard during tonight's rush. (about 20-30 cars) They could probably stand to lose all the #2400's up north and not be short now. Probably 8 #2400's off the Orange line are history this week. (It's like a revolving door) They are not gaining anymore cars at Midway yard. They might be to capacity.

Yeah, well the next #2400 transfer will probably be the end of them on the Purple line.

And, at some point, to BL Duke, probably real soon.

Essentially, there is a logical inconsistency in your previously saying "Midway is to capacity" when you previously contended that the fleet projections were already too bloated. CTA has received about 430 cars and retired maybe 250?

And, at some point, to BL Duke, probably real soon.

Essentially, there is a logical inconsistency in your previously saying "Midway is to capacity" when you previously contended that the fleet projections were already too bloated. CTA has received about 430 cars and retired maybe 250?

I don't quite get what you mean above, isn't both statements delivering the same message? Seems kind of wasteful to see bunches of "Not In service" rollsigns in Howard yard, I assuming that means their extra. I would just ship those off to the Blue line and let them retire a few more troublesome #2600's. Maybe they could get around sending #2600's to the Orange line, cause that's what most likely will happen in two more shifts of cars from Howard yard. I would just send the Orange line a set or two of #5000's as the #2400's retire there.

On another note, I was talking to some more Red line managers that were talking about the upcoming #3200's rehab at Skokie Shops. Although Skokie Shops personnel wouldn't comment on when exactly that will occur, the concensus seems to be after all the #5000's are put into service and the space opens up at Skokie Shops that was used for the acceptance of the #5000's. So that would be after September 2015, as that's when the end of the #5000's delivery is scheduled to occur. I wonder then if the delay in #7000's delivery might be timed to coincide with the end of the #3200's rehab? Looks like the guys in Skokie will be busy for years, as they have years of work in front of them!! :lol:

I don't quite get what you mean above, isn't both statements delivering the same message? ..

I was focusing on "They are not gaining anymore cars at Midway yard. They might be to capacity" as maybe implying that you were questioning why they aren't, but should.

Maybe I misread you, and with your comment about the 2600s sitting around with Not in Service signs, should have had you concurring with the direction I was going, that is that a heck of a lot more of something should be at the scrapper than is now.

On your 3200s observation, that seems consistent with procurement of a few parts as prototypes for trial now indicates no work until 2015, but, as you recognize, that sheds doubt whether 3200s will be replaced by 7000s according to the schedule in the 7000s solicitation.

Seeing as I'm reading suggestions to swap series of cars from one line to another, I'm just curious how long it takes to qualify a motorman on a new set of equipment (ie. training for a 2600 or 3200 being shifted to a "new" line).

I can't give you a direct answer, but there essentially isn't any difference in the operation of 2400s, 2600s, or 3200s, all of which can be combined in a consist. Combining 2400s and 2600s in a train was common, especially on the Purple Line. Orange Line operators have contended with running 3200s and 2400s now for a couple of years.

It would be different transitioning to 5000s, since there seem to be such issues as the regenerative braking cutting down the braking distance, and using the operator's panel, which provides diagnostics and automatically triggers Mr. CTA, as examples.

• 1 month later...

3019-3020 are back to the Blue Line from the Red Line.

So that would mean the blue line might be retiring a few more #2600's. Somehow I see the work train #2400's sticking around for a while. If they kept those at Midway, they would only have to deal with getting rid of 50 #2400 cars and they could give them just a couple #5000's trains to tide them over until they get there fair share in 2015. What would be interesting though is that they would probably have to let the #2400 work cars go by the end of #5000's order or consider keeping them until whenever they would get the #7000's. I think some #2600 cars might have to leave the roster for awhile also to replace these, but #2893-98 are curiously absent, but how could a santa car double as a work car? what do you do in Dec?

3019-3020 are back to the Blue Line from the Red Line.

Not to sure about these because I saw them from afar, but I think 2965-2966 and 2973-2974 may also be back on the Blue Line from the Red Line. Also, 2581-2582 is still active on the Orange Line roster.

Not to sure about these because I saw them from afar, but I think 2965-2966 and 2973-2974 may also be back on the Blue Line from the Red Line. Also, 2581-2582 is still active on the Orange Line roster.

#2973-74 was on the purple line yesterday. If they did transfer they did it last night.