CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

I'm still not sold on the Purple Line being "assigned" any cars per se. With Howard Yard serving three lines and each map on those cars has all three lines on it, any car could go out on any line at any time. Cars that wind up at Linden certainly have the hightest chance of being Purple Line trains, but if consists are broken at Howard, those cars can be sent anywhere.

Perhaps out of convenience, Yellow Line may run the same cars for awhile since Yellow only runs two car consists and that should be an easy find at Howard. But they could also get attached to a four car set at Howard for a Purple Line Express also. Basically I'm not buying the Purple Line assignment view.

I'm still not sold on the Purple Line being "assigned" any cars per se. With Howard Yard serving three lines and each map on those cars has all three lines on it, any car could go out on any line at any time. Cars that wind up at Linden certainly have the hightest chance of being Purple Line trains, but if consists are broken at Howard, those cars can be sent anywhere.

Perhaps out of convenience, Yellow Line may run the same cars for awhile since Yellow only runs two car consists and that should be an easy find at Howard. But they could also get attached to a four car set at Howard for a Purple Line Express also. Basically I'm not buying the Purple Line assignment view.

And the fact that Red, Yellow, and Purple Lines takes up over 60% of the 5000s fleet so far. Speaking of Yellow Line, it would've been interesting if it had a yard by Dempster and an extension of Dempster-Skokie Station making it compatible with 4-car sets.

And the fact that Red, Yellow, and Purple Lines takes up over 60% of the 5000s fleet so far. Speaking of Yellow Line, it would've been interesting if it had a yard by Dempster and an extension of Dempster-Skokie Station making it compatible with 4-car sets.

There wouldn't have been any point to a yard and inspection shop for only 4 to 6 cars. If anyone wanted to make any argument, it would be that the location would be Skokie Shops, but that probably wouldn't have made any operational sense, either.

The Yellow Line was distinctive when it had overhead wire, but started running anything when it was replaced by third rail. Even in the overhead wire days,the cars were still based at Howard.

I don't know guys. It might be a temporary scenario until the production is complete. My only concern is that if the 5400s sticks with the Purple Line then how is this going to play out for the Red Line and/or another line?

It shouldn't affect anything. As was alluded to, 2600s are still available to run on that line and the Purple Line.

In that the line cards now have all three lines that leave Howard as has been the case since the days of the Red Line South project rebuilding the Dan Ryan leg, yeah one could argue that cars aren't exclusively Red, Yellow or Purple and therefore there's not really any borrowing of cars from one for the other. But at this point 5000-series consists show up too regularly to say the Purple Line isn't really assigned any 5000s.

There wouldn't have been any point to a yard and inspection shop for only 4 to 6 cars. If anyone wanted to make any argument, it would be that the location would be Skokie Shops, but that probably wouldn't have made any operational sense, either.

The Yellow Line was distinctive when it had overhead wire, but started running anything when it was replaced by third rail. Even in the overhead wire days,the cars were still based at Howard.

Hmm, I see.

This morning while doing the 29 heading back south from downtown I saw a crazy mix up on the orange line. 3200's were the end cars but the belly cars were a 2400 and 2600 series lol. You rarely see 2 series run together now days but to see 3 in one train and not a fan trip was quite cool I must say lol. Dont know what that was all about but great to see though. I also saw a 2400 and 26 mix too with 6 2400's and a 2600 as the last 2 cars.

• Upvote 3

This morning while doing the 29 heading back south from downtown I saw a crazy mix up on the orange line. 3200's were the end cars but the belly cars were a 2400 and 2600 series lol. You rarely see 2 series run together now days but to see 3 in one train and not a fan trip was quite cool I must say lol. Dont know what that was all about but great to see though. I also saw a 2400 and 26 mix too with 6 2400's and a 2600 as the last 2 cars.

You are one lucky driver to see all that!!! :lol:

Few car transfers during month of July 2014:

2647-2648 Purple to Blue

2651-2652 Purple to Red

2659-2660 Blue to Orange

2687-2688 Purple to Red

2713-2714 Purple to Red

2715-2716 Purple to Blue

2735-2736 Purple to Blue

2765-2766 Blue to Orange

2773-2774 Purple to Red

2789-2790 Purple to Red

2803-2804 Blue to Orange

2821-2822 Purple to Red

2825-2826 Purple to Red

2929-2930 Red to Blue

2959-2960 Blue to Orange

Few car transfers during month of July 2014:

2647-2648 Purple to Blue

2651-2652 Purple to Red

2659-2660 Blue to Orange

2687-2688 Purple to Red

2713-2714 Purple to Red

2715-2716 Purple to Blue

2735-2736 Purple to Blue

2765-2766 Blue to Orange

2773-2774 Purple to Red

2789-2790 Purple to Red

2803-2804 Blue to Orange

2821-2822 Purple to Red

2825-2826 Purple to Red

2929-2930 Red to Blue

2959-2960 Blue to Orange

I didn't think those cars were on the orange line yet cause i haven't seen those there going back to July, but my contact says they got more cars and they are running out of space at Midway yard. So I guess i'll update the roster with those cars.

I didn't think those cars were on the orange line yet cause i haven't seen those there going back to July, but my contact says they got more cars and they are running out of space at Midway yard. So I guess i'll update the roster with those cars.

Talking with some friends at Midway yard, they did say those #2600 cars have moved to the Orange line, so they have 24 cars now. Actually the new cars caught some of the managers out there by surprise, they didn't seem to know they were there until I mentioned it. The yardleader said they showed up on Thursday, so they are relatively new.

Does anybody know when they started a Brown/Purple run? I've seen this occasionally and I thought that train tracker was malfunctioning or something but not everyday now. Is the brown line that over crowded now that they have to use other lines equipment? Today I saw 2705-2708 with 2829-2830. The train started on the outer loop with a brown loop roll sign and turned into Linden entering the loop.

post-2044-0-69497600-1407855791_thumb.pn

Does anybody know when they started a Brown/Purple run? I've seen this occasionally and I thought that train tracker was malfunctioning or something but not everyday now. Is the brown line that over crowded now that they have to use other lines equipment? Today I saw 2705-2708 with 2829-2830. The train started on the outer loop with a brown loop roll sign and turned into Linden entering the loop.

That's the original extra run for the Brown Line.... it's called the Ravenston. It works just like the Brownage of today with the differences being it's run with Purple Line equipment and it runs from Kimball to the Loop and back except after Belmont, it continues north to Linden rather than going back on Brown Line trackage to Kimball.

I always wondered if they were still in service since the creation of the Brownage, and you just proved they still are.

That's the original extra run for the Brown Line.... it's called the Ravenston. It works just like the Brownage of today with the differences being it's run with Purple Line equipment and it runs from Kimball to the Loop and back except after Belmont, it continues north to Linden rather than going back on Brown Line trackage to Kimball.

I always wondered if they were still in service since the creation of the Brownage, and you just proved they still are.

Oh, I didn't know about this run before. Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd at first but I continued seeing this run so I had to find out for sure. Did they discontinue this run before and decided to reinstitute in service again? Also, does this say a lot about equipment coverage on the brown line or no?

Oh, I didn't know about this run before. Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd at first but I continued seeing this run so I had to find out for sure. Did they discontinue this run before and decided to reinstitute in service again? Also, does this say a lot about equipment coverage on the brown line or no?

I don't really know if it ever stopped or not, but it was barely used when the Brownage started(although it may still be used early in the extra runs before the Brownage begins and perhaps if the Orange Line is short spares). I think they decided to use the Brownage rather than the Ravenston because it runs from Kimball to Midway and returns back to Kimball and can go back as often as needed without requiring a switching of the tracks for the Ravenston to continue north on the Evanston Main Line at the Clark Jct. rather than head northwest on the Ravenswood Line. It's also a shorter trip Loop to Kimball to Loop(Brownage) vs. Loop to Evanston to Loop(Ravenston).

I don't really know if it ever stopped or not, but it was barely used when the Brownage started(although it may still be used early in the extra runs before the Brownage begins and perhaps if the Orange Line is short spares). I think they decided to use the Brownage rather than the Ravenston because it runs from Kimball to Midway and returns back to Kimball and can go back as often as needed without requiring a switching of the tracks for the Ravenston to continue north on the Evanston Main Line at the Clark Jct. rather than head northwest on the Ravenswood Line. It's also a shorter trip Loop to Kimball to Loop(Brownage) vs. Loop to Evanston to Loop(Ravenston).

Actually I think they switched to over more Brownage runs for extra runs because the the Brown Line in rush hour is now an 8-car service like the Orange Line is, while the Purple Line Express is restricted to 6 cars because of the length of the Evanston side platforms. Therefore the Ravenston runs don't really serve the needs of the Crowd Reduction purposes under which Claypool increased Brown Line rush hour service.