CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Last week, there were a few Blue Line 2600s sitting in Howard yard. It was only for the weekend, then they disappeared. I saw 2797-2798, 3119-3120, 3047-3048, 2653-2654, 3007-3008, and 2821-2822. I wonder if this is the start of the 2600-series retirements- or even Long-Term Holds.

That does sound interesting. With Chicagos_D's observation it shows that the #2600's on the Red line might be finally on the move. They might have sent a few to Blue as there's no where else they could go and these cars you saw are indeed retirements. We'll have to see if they show back up.

That does sound interesting. With Chicagos_D's observation it shows that the #2600's on the Red line might be finally on the move. They might have sent a few to Blue as there's no where else they could go and these cars you saw are indeed retirements. We'll have to see if they show back up.

You forgot to change the number of 2600's in the Orange Line roster from 84 to 86.

I observed a few more 2600's on the Orange line this morning. 2913-2914, 2825-2826, 2789-2790.

Last night the orange line was running almost all #2600's. I only saw one #3200 consist and then I saw an out of service #3200 consist NB at 35th/Archer two days ago. Maybe something is up with the #3200's rehab?

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to earlier this morning when I had to detour home via the Red Line... First off, it was a long wait for a Howard-bound train(or even 95th-bound train) at 1:30a. The North/Clybourn stop was unusually quiet with no trains passing for a good 10+ minutes. Mine finally came first(5247-5248 were in the consist, I believe). I was unsure if the Brown Line still ran to Kimball around 2a, but it still did.... I thought for a second that they put a consist of 5000's on the Brown Line because the lead cars had LED signs that said "KIMBALL", but it was only 3379-3380, ad wrapped for a city in Florida.

On that note, I don't know how often training trains get used during afternoon periods, but there was a six car consist of cars heading north on the Brown Line tracks at Wellington(2600-Series consist with 2707-2708 and 2823-2824) with run #527. Brown Line is usually in the #400's, so this had to have been a Purple Line training train, I guess.

I don't know if it was an actual transfer, but today I noticed a lot of 3260s, 3270s, and 3280s on the Brown Line now and some lower 3300s on the Orange Line. I wonder if this is in preparation for the 3200-series rehab work.

It probably is, but does the Orange line have a few extra sets of #2600's from maybe the Red/Purple to run in place of 30 #3200's?

I don't know if it was an actual transfer, but today I noticed a lot of 3260s, 3270s, and 3280s on the Brown Line now and some lower 3300s on the Orange Line. I wonder if this is in preparation for the 3200-series rehab work.

Probably prep for rehab, which I believe is due to begin in March. This might allude to the possibility that they'll do 8 cars from the Brown Line and 8 from the Orange Line at one time, return those and collect another 8 from each line until the job is completed on both lines.

The sixteen cars will be out of service for six weeks and project will be complete by 2017. Interesting point is they say only 257 will be upgraded, which means 3458(ex-3032) will not be rehabbed. The only question is what will happen to pair 3457-3458? Will 3457 be a loaner/spare unit or can it still be trained post-rehab to 3458(ex-3032)?

I'm riding on 2877-2878 on the Orange Line to the loop. 3357-59 are on the Orange line with more Brown line equipment in that consist and in the yard. I'm not for sure what else is in the consist that I'm riding on now.

Yeah, there seems to be alot of cars going back and forth. I saw about three sets of out of service #3200's today, one on the Orange line and two on the loop elevated. I can't seem to figure out one of them. The head car had a digital not in service sign in amber, which shouldn't exist. (Unless I'm seeing things) The rest of the consist had blank signs but they looked like #3200's. They wouldn't possibly have a rehabbed consist already could they? It's either that or it was #5000's I saw. This was at Lasalle/Van Buren EB around 7PM. The next Brown line had #3271-72 and #3275-76 in the consist, so it looks like Brown and Orange are trading #3200's. Does anyone know if #3207-08 or the other one has black not in service signs or amber?

Yeah, there seems to be alot of cars going back and forth. I saw about three sets of out of service #3200's today, one on the Orange line and two on the loop elevated. I can't seem to figure out one of them. The head car had a digital not in service sign in amber, which shouldn't exist. (Unless I'm seeing things) The rest of the consist had blank signs but they looked like #3200's. They wouldn't possibly have a rehabbed consist already could they? It's either that or it was #5000's I saw. This was at Lasalle/Van Buren EB around 7PM. The next Brown line had #3271-72 and #3275-76 in the consist, so it looks like Brown and Orange are trading #3200's. Does anyone know if #3207-08 or the other one has black not in service signs or amber?

I rode 3379-3380 yesterday going into the loop and at Merchandise Mart, where normally the dest. changes to Kimball, on the digital it went completely out on the inside of the car. But 3379-3380 were the 5th and 6th cars in the set.

3207-3208 and 3379-3380 have colored LED signs. They don't have the digital LED next stop signs with date & time like the 5000's. I don't know if they will get those as well as the LED signs. We should start to see some new LED signage 3200's in late April-early May if they start the rehabs in March.

3207-3208 and 3379-3380 have digital amber LED signs. They don't have the digital LED next stop signs with date & time like the 5000's. I don't know if they will get those as well as the LED signs. We should start to see some new LED signage 3200's in late April-early May if they start the rehabs in March.

The outsides are full-color, not amber. The NIS sign is white-on-black. The inside ones are amber, however.

The head car had a digital not in service sign in amber, which shouldn't exist. (Unless I'm seeing things) The rest of the consist had blank signs but they looked like #3200's. They wouldn't possibly have a rehabbed consist already could they? It's either that or it was #5000's I saw.

5000s definitely wouldn't have amber signs, but they have amber run numbers. The 3200s are also getting amber run numbers...could you have seen that? I can't think of what else you would have seen that was amber-colored on the front.

The outsides are full-color, not amber. The NIS sign is white-on-black. The inside ones are amber, however.

Corrected..... I'm used to the amber LED bus displays....

But in regards to the LED Next Stop displays in the car, I don't think the 3200's will be getting those. I think only the 5000's(and presumably 7000's) will have those.