CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Monday morning the majority of cars in 98th Yard were 2600s. I've seen more of them in service on the Red line this week.

From all counts, that should have ended months ago. In that being the case, the reports on the Orange and Blue must be only fleeting.

#2687-88's on the blue line

Garmon posted 2 pictures of 5635-36 on the Red Line at 69th going north on Facebook to to the Chicago L group.

Remember to move 2785-86 to the Red Line roster.

And you still haven't put 3215-16 in the Brown Line roster and 3377-78 in the Orange Line roster.

BTW, the updated Blue Line roster, including what you posted, will count to 380.

BusHunter, I just calculated the number of cars in your Blue Line roster, and it counts to 400 (unless I miscounted, but I don't think I did.)

That could be correct. Even if one accepts the 7000s spec that 400 replace 2600s, that would mean that about 140 2600s should have been scrapped already, but nothing like that has been reported.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I rode the Brown line with a full 8 car set of 2600 not running Brownage, I missed the first set that pulled up but that was a 2600 8 car seat as well. The run numbers were 400 and 450. Some of the car numbers were 2771-2772, 2891-2892, 3197-3198, 2941-2942. When I got on at Harold Washington Library the train was originally running to Kimball. Then the announcement switched to Belmont at Merchandise Mart, but switch back to Kimball at Chicago/Franklin when I got off. I looked at train tracker and the run 450 was heading towards Kimball. Does anyone know if this is temporary due to the 3200 rehab or any other reason or if it's permanent? I'm trying to keep an eye out and see if I catch any more 2600 on the brown line.

This morning I rode the Brown line with a full 8 car set of 2600 not running Brownage, I missed the first set that pulled up but that was a 2600 8 car seat as well. The run numbers were 400 and 450. Some of the car numbers were 2771-2772, 2891-2892, 3197-3198, 2941-2942. When I got on at Harold Washington Library the train was originally running to Kimball. Then the announcement switched to Belmont at Merchandise Mart, but switch back to Kimball at Chicago/Franklin when I got off. I looked at train tracker and the run 450 was heading towards Kimball. Does anyone know if this is temporary due to the 3200 rehab or any other reason or if it's permanent? I'm trying to keep an eye out and see if I catch any more 2600 on the brown line.

I've seen 2600s running normal brown line service before; I think what happens is a consist from a brownage run gets used for a couple normal runs as well.

On a slightly related side-note, there's a very tiny chance there were 5000s running brownage but I highly doubt it. I got to Armitage and heard a 5000 train pulling in southbound, and the sign inside said "Midway DUE", and there was not another brownage behind it at Fullerton (just one to the Loop). Either the sign was wrong (wouldn't be the first time) and it was just a purple line, or there was actually a new train on the orange line...

I didn't get a look at the train itself because a red and brown line were blocking my view from the platform.

I don't know if some of us realize this but those are all former Red line assigned cars, so the Orange line has 102 #2600's now.

@Briman: I did say the cut off was at #5640 for red line assigned #5000's. :P But i would be surprised if the Orange line did get #5000's now. It looks like they will all go to the Red line.

I looked at train tracker and the run 450 was heading towards Kimball. Does anyone know if this is temporary due to the 3200 rehab or any other reason or if it's permanent? I'm trying to keep an eye out and see if I catch any more 2600 on the brown line.

I've never saw a Brown Line run number that high like that. The highest I ever saw was run no. 443 about 7-8 years ago.

Well now your Orange Line roster counts to a total of 188.

Are they planning on stuffing the Orange Line to capacity? The Brown Line can barely hold trains, I'm surprised they don't hold a small amount of trains at Howard Yard. Maybe they could shift some 3200's to the Blue? Then both cities could revel in new trains on the Blue (well, somewhat old, but compared to the 2600's, yeah) :rolleyes:

Are they planning on stuffing the Orange Line to capacity? The Brown Line can barely hold trains, I'm surprised they don't hold a small amount of trains at Howard Yard. Maybe they could shift some 3200's to the Blue? Then both cities could revel in new trains on the Blue (well, somewhat old, but compared to the 2600's, yeah) :rolleyes:

You're asking for a miracle. #3200's on the blue. CTA seems to be stuck on the notion that the blue needs to run the oldest cars. I can't wait to see the Blue line not get the #7000's either. :rolleyes:

On the bus front, If Busjack's bus theory pans out and we only get 300 #7900's, guess who won't be getting new buses again? Basically though that means they would trade 25 electric buses for 150 diesel ones, which I think is kind of crazy. But if they do a service cut, most likely 3/4 what remains will depart anyway. I still can't believe though FG has still to see #1000's?? It looks like now they will have exclusive #6400's all the way to a service cut and they won't even get a updated clever device #6400 until Chicago gives them one, most likely when that's all they have left!! :rolleyes:

You're asking for a miracle. #3200's on the blue. CTA seems to be stuck on the notion that the blue needs to run the oldest cars. I can't wait to see the Blue line not get the #7000's either. :rolleyes:

On the bus front, If Busjack's bus theory pans out and we only get 300 #7900's, guess who won't be getting new buses again? Basically though that means they would trade 25 electric buses for 150 diesel ones, which I think is kind of crazy. But if they do a service cut, most likely 3/4 what remains will depart anyway. I still can't believe though FG has still to see #1000's?? It looks like now they will have exclusive #6400's all the way to a service cut and they won't even get a updated clever device #6400 until Chicago gives them one, most likely when that's all they have left!! :rolleyes:

Reflecting a lot of anxiety???

The only thing I noted was the inconsistency between the statements in the budget and the CMAQ application and that projection was not the planning department's strong suit. However, I did note that that the 7000s spec sure led to the conclusion that Orange, Brown and Blue weren't getting 5000s. The only thing I would say based on current reports is that saving 4000 2600s may not be enough, since I was going on an estimate of 340 on Blue and 60 at Midway.

Also, if the reports here are correct, they overcame whatever objection there was to running 2600s on Brown.

Reflecting a lot of anxiety???

The only thing I noted was the inconsistency between the statements in the budget and the CMAQ application and that projection was not the planning department's strong suit. However, I did note that that the 7000s spec sure led to the conclusion that Orange, Brown and Blue weren't getting 5000s. The only thing I would say based on current reports is that saving 4000 2600s may not be enough, since I was going on an estimate of 340 on Blue and 60 at Midway.

Also, if the reports here are correct, they overcame whatever objection there was to running 2600s on Brown.

No just disappointment and the bewilderment that some areas of the city are still being treated like crap. There's also the fact that 100 new railcars are essentially being wasted instead of being put to good use. They'll be sitting in a yard somewhere with the rest of the spares.

Some areas of the city have yet to see any equipment newer than 3rd grade equipment. There's still the possibility that they still won't see new equipment for years to come and even then it might not happen.

Also, as I saw yesterday, there is no real evidence that those Orange line cars exist, for all we know that was a pullout from Harlem yard on the Green line. Even the high run number was a clue that it wasn't normal. Maybe an extra??

• Upvote 1

As stated earlier, my guess is that the reason why CTA has likely decided not to equip the Orange Line with 5000s is to avoid assigning any line with incompatible cars. Since the requirement that the 7000s be compatible with the 5000s has been eliminated, CTA probably feels that it makes more sense to skip the 5000s on the Orange Line and wait for the 7000s.

I've never saw a Brown Line run number that high like that. The highest I ever saw was run no. 443 about 7-8 years ago.

I've never seen a run number that high ever. But today I was looking at train tracker to see if yesterday was a fluke or if there have been some equipment transfers. But no logical answer. The only assumption that I have is; maybe there was an executive decision with tower control and sent two red line 2600 through the loop and return back to Howard? Because the route maps were still from Red, Purple, & Yellow lines. Also, how high have Red line run numbers been lately, because today the highest that I saw was 937? Is that normal?