CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Notice, too , the part that says "outside of the urban area in which it provides regularly scheduled public transportation service". This does not say CTA CAN'T provide charters, just that it can't run to for instance Springfield, which CTA did do in the 1950's. This all got started with NJT, which in its early days continued Public Service's practice of running charters to New York, Washington, and even on occasion here (Yes, I did see Public Service buses in Chicago a couple of times in the late 1960's on charters). Once Public Service (a private entity) was taken over by the State of New Jersey, the local charter outfits, of which there are many, started complaining about "unfair competition" and 49 USC 5323(d) was the final result.

Does anyone know if there were equipment transfers over the weekend? There was an 8 car consist with 2753-54 in the middle at Midway yard this morning with all their mylar roller signs still on O'Hare destination. It also seemed like more equipment in the yard than usual for am peak. 

I'm on the orange line run 723 which has 2739-2740 and a few others I'll try and get their car numbers in service. They're either part of the increased service for today or officially on the orange line. They still have their run numbers on blue line runs 100-200. Other than that this should take the Orange line count well over 100 for 2600 series. 

I spotted #2829-30 two days ago on the Orange line. I think #2823-24 was also in that consist. If so then it looks like CTA found out what to do with the #2600 spares on the Red line. Looks like the Orange line is going all #2600 during this #3200's rehab, but don't ask me what they'll tell the #2600 scrapper when he shows up. (The Yellow line is broken??) :P

So what then, we still have Brownages right? That would put #2600's on the brown line and that is against the no #2600's theory.

I spotted #2829-30 two days ago on the Orange line. I think #2823-24 was also in that consist. If so then it looks like CTA found out what to do with the #2600 spares on the Red line. Looks like the Orange line is going all #2600 during this #3200's rehab, but don't ask me what they'll tell the #2600 scrapper when he shows up. (The Yellow line is broken??) :P

So what then, we still have Brownages right? That would put #2600's on the brown line and that is against the no #2600's theory.

​Well, either the "no-2600s" thing is old, or they'll use Brown Line stock for Brownages (not sure how that would work, but it could happen in theory), OOOOORRRRR, huge "if" here, they could put 5000s on the Orange Line instead of letting them...do...whatever it is they do when they're not assigned to a line.

​Well, either the "no-2600s" thing is old, or they'll use Brown Line stock for Brownages (not sure how that would work, but it could happen in theory), ....

​Wouldn't be any point to that. The whole purpose is to get cars from other yards to cover demand on the Brown Line, which doesn't have adequate yard space.

No #5000's yet at midway but #2753-54, #2759-60, #2845-46. #2856-#2791 mismate are all here on the orange line. i see now what they are doing. they have the #3200's all bunched up in 8 car consists in midway yard and some of the consists say Kimball. So it's safe to say those all #3200 consists are being used as Brownages and the #2600's stay on the Orange line. Only when there are spares, the #3200's go out on the orange line, that's why we've seen so few. they did have 3 straight #3200 consists this afternoon but i bet it's not like that in the morning or if it is, you are looking at a Brownage. BTW, #3363-64 has a nice looking Mountain Dew wrap now.

Edited by BusHunter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Earlier today 2723-2724 & 2825-2826 was traveling northbound on Kimball tracks and just made a return trip southbound I presume back to Midway. It had the training train sign hanging on the front and back of the set. Not completely sure if it was training Brownage or just brown line. 

Earlier today 2723-2724 & 2825-2826 was traveling northbound on Kimball tracks and just made a return trip southbound I presume back to Midway. It had the training train sign hanging on the front and back of the set. Not completely sure if it was training Brownage or just brown line. 

Maybe they were training mechanics. :P Ha Ha!! The #2600's are forbidden from the brown line. Maybe they are trying to test a set to be compatible with it once again or it could've just been a freak accident/coincidence.

Apparently not anymore! I saw two of them at Rockwell today (see 2600s thread for more details) 

Tell it to the Orange line, that is still sending #3200 brownages. Two cars could have slipped through by mistake. I'll be convinced when I see more than just two cars or a consist there.

Tell it to the Orange line, that is still sending #3200 brownages. Two cars could have slipped through by mistake. I'll be convinced when I see more than just two cars or a consist there.

On the other hand, there wasn't any report that the two cars caused a Rail Service Alert due to equipment problems.

On the other hand, there wasn't any report that the two cars caused a Rail Service Alert due to equipment problems.

True, but the defect doesn't cause an emergency shutdown of service either. Could be they are experimenting, but I doubt it. If the #2600's can run the brown, where are the masses of them at?

2709-10 just led a brownage SB from Rockwell. I'm beginning to think it's a little more than an accident that they're running 2600s on brownages :P

(My phone originally capitalized "led" to "LED"...that's not what I meant :P fixed now)

Edited by briman94

Somehow this business of "no 2600's on Brownages" seems very, very suspect. Kimball had 2600's for years, including after yard was rebuilt. What I suspect might be the real reason is that Kimball has a very small "shop" and thus only stocks parts for a single type, namely 3200's. So if a 2600 were to develop a problem enroute that would require it being set out, Kimball would have to ship it back to Midway in a drag because they would not have any parts to fix it with. So, tell Midway to just send 3200's. We can deal with them.

Somehow this business of "no 2600's on Brownages" seems very, very suspect. Kimball had 2600's for years, including after yard was rebuilt. What I suspect might be the real reason is that Kimball has a very small "shop" and thus only stocks parts for a single type, namely 3200's. So if a 2600 were to develop a problem enroute that would require it being set out, Kimball would have to ship it back to Midway in a drag because they would not have any parts to fix it with. So, tell Midway to just send 3200's. We can deal with them.

It was my understanding the problem is on post rehab #2600's, or it's just an excuse like you say to keep the line one type of train. Midway currently has 2 types, maybe it might have three types at one time, while they retire #2600's. I think the reason they are dragging their feet on #5000's at Midway may be due to a similar circumstance of consolidation.

Edited by BusHunter

Welcome gentlemen to the "real world." I've had so many "rail persons" tell me that they cannot correct all the misconceptions that go on.  I challenge anyone to produce a document that states 2600 series running on the Brown line is vetoed by management. 

I was told this by a supervisor. Are you saying they are wrong?

Maybe you can ask management then why the #3200's reign supreme as brownages and I've only heard of a handful of #2600's on the brown line in years. Years!!

Edited by BusHunter

I was told this by a supervisor. Are you saying they are wrong?

Maybe you can ask management then why the #3200's reign supreme as brownages and I've only heard of a handful of #2600's on the brown line in years. Years!!

The supervisor could have been wrong also. It could be any number of reasons as to why we don't see #2600's on the Brown Line. I have the faintest idea of CTA rail operations but makes sense to me is Kimball Yard probably has primarily #3200 parts so it's probably easier to just use #3200's on the Brownages. I could be wrong, that's what makes the most sense to me.

Red line run #920 just left Fullerton SB, 2600s. Led by 2899-900 (or was it 2988-89?); didn't see the numbers on the rest.

It's amazing that they are still using them.  They have to be down to between 30 and 36 cars left because I've seen most of the lower numbered cars on the Blue and Orange Lines.  A few cars have to be on Long-Term Hold status too like 2921-2922 and another pair because they've been tagged with graffiti and parked in the same spot in Howard yard for the past four months- maybe longer.