CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Even with the bright orange "DO NOT COUPLE TO OTHER SERIES RAILCARS" flags on the ends of the 5000s? :P I can understand maybe the 3200s because they're so similar-looking but I'd think it'd be hard to confuse a 2600 with a 5000...

I don't know in a yard with no flashy led signs maybe they do look similar. But then we get back to the same question of why the Orange line was skipped over if it's not a problem having both series cars in the same yard.

If I was speculating I'd say with the sighting of these and the pink line ones and #2709-10 at harlem yard, they are scattering these around at the yards. The only thing is the yards are not all #5000's now as they were trying to achieve. Someone could still theoretically hook up the wrong trains.

I kinda see your point. But I got to thinking that having yards with incompatible equipment doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue. I mean, for example, when the 2000 series and then the 2200 series were newly assigned to West-Northwest, that alignment used a heavy number of 6000 series as well. All three of these series had very similar couplers at the very least. Yet, I don't recall any problems with incompatibles being wrongly hooked up. The only issue I would see would be, as briman94 stated, the possibility of mistakenly coupling 5000s and 3200s together simply because the look so much alike. And that would especially be so once the 3200s receive their rehabs as they will have color LED destination signs.

So, after some quick calculation that may or may not be correct, the Pink line fleet plus the "extra" 5000s would fill the entire Orange line. Why don't they just move the Orange line's 3200s to Pink and Blue, and replace the entire Orange line fleet with 5000s? It would benefit more from them than the Pink line...

So, after some quick calculation that may or may not be correct, the Pink line fleet plus the "extra" 5000s would fill the entire Orange line. Why don't they just move the Orange line's 3200s to Pink and Blue, and replace the entire Orange line fleet with 5000s? It would benefit more from them than the Pink line...

I would say special equipment at the yards for the 5000's, but i'm not too entirely sure that's true. The better question is, why does CTA make so many questionable decisions. Undoubtedly, 5000's (which were made to contain more passengers, especially standing) would be better on the Orange Line as it serves an airport and is the 4th highest rail line by ridership, much, much farther ahead than Pink, Green, Purple and Yellow (Orange line serves 907,000 passengers rounding at Nov 2014), but both the Blue (2nd highest) and Orange got bent by CTA, even the Brown (3rd highest) got skipped over.

If you buy something to hold more, but have it function to serve the least (except the Red), then what's the point of buying?

• Upvote 4

Saw consist of 4 3200's around 1 o'clock leaving Ashland/ Lake Green Line, Going WB. Run was 412 in corner but couldn't see if it was in service or not.

Run 412 is definitely a Brown Line run, hence it was a Brown Line set. That train no doubt was out of service and had to stop at Ashland to get signal clearance to continue to Harlem Yard. Perhaps there was some issue with the train and there was no way to get it into Kimball Yard. Brown Line cars have been noted to be in Harlem Yard in the past and also used on the Green Line.I

• Upvote 5

Saw 5649-5650 on Purple Express earlier. Also saw 5072 on pink line with a messed up run box...all the digits were solid rectangles.

BusHunter, while you're updating your roster, correct the Orange Line roster count to 98 2600's and 84 3200's, and whatever 2600's Garmon said he spotted the other day in the Ashland yard, put those in the Green Line roster that they're sitting in the yard. In fact, even better, I recommend that you and sw put those 2600's in the Green Line yards into the Not in Service/Retired/In Storage roster.

Rode past Skokie Shops today and noticed they are pretty much at capacity with all the 2400-series and 2600-series awaiting scrapping as well as those cars on Long-Term Hold. They even moved the Christmas train over to Howard yard for temporary storage. I did see 6 new 5000-series cars that looked as if they were just delivered. Also, all 6 5000-series cars assigned to the Yellow Line have been out of service for 2 or 3 days now. The Yellow Line has been using the Purple Line's cars to cover.

• Upvote 2

Rode past Skokie Shops today and noticed they are pretty much at capacity with all the 2400-series and 2600-series awaiting scrapping as well as those cars on Long-Term Hold. They even moved the Christmas train over to Howard yard for temporary storage. I did see 6 new 5000-series cars that looked as if they were just delivered. Also, all 6 5000-series cars assigned to the Yellow Line have been out of service for 2 or 3 days now. The Yellow Line has been using the Purple Line's cars to cover.

Why don't they use the Christmas car trains during regular service in the rest of the year?

This past Sunday I seen a few trains of 2600 and 3200 mix on the brown line

Does the brown line have 2600's now or is that weekends only.

Were they on the loop elevated or in the subway/north side elevated? The brown line doesn't run in the loop on weekends right now so you may have seen orange line 2600s running the loop shuttle like I did yesterday.

Were they on the loop elevated or in the subway/north side elevated? The brown line doesn't run in the loop on weekends right now so you may have seen orange line 2600s running the loop shuttle like I did yesterday.

Here's something weird I heard yesterday. I was at Library/State & Van Buren and I noticed a pink line train ahead of my Orange line train. When we turned at tower 12, I had looked up toward Lake and didn't see any trains coming sb. So i get off and go downstairs. Then a hear the #5000's whirling sound that the AC motors make. So the question is where did that train come from? It came from the north and didn't play any announcements. I get the weird feeling they were running #5000's on the brown line shuttle. (Maybe #5651-52 and #5643-44) That's the only way I can explain it.

Here's something weird I heard yesterday. I was at Library/State & Van Buren and I noticed a pink line train ahead of my Orange line train. When we turned at tower 12, I had looked up toward Lake and didn't see any trains coming sb. So i get off and go downstairs. Then a hear the #5000's whirling sound that the AC motors make. So the question is where did that train come from? It came from the north and didn't play any announcements. I get the weird feeling they were running #5000's on the brown line shuttle. (Maybe #5651-52 and #5643-44) That's the only way I can explain it.

I guess if they had a way to get them to the loop, that could have been the case...which stop were they pulling into from the north?

There we're no 5000 operating as a Brown Line Shuttle. All Brown Line Shuttles will originate from Midway with either 2600, 3200 or a mixed set of both operating as the Shuttle

@briman94: From the Library stop.

@Juniorz: then how do you explain what I heard, the only other explanation was that a green line was short turning and the Brown line shuttle does run on the outer tracks....

@briman94: From the Library stop.

@Juniorz: then how do you explain what I heard, the only other explanation was that a green line was short turning and the Brown line shuttle does run on the outer tracks....

It very well could've been a 5000 series train you heard. It was following your Orange Line train. Quite possibly it was a training vehicle. There were no Green Line reroutes that I'm aware of. When I say training train, either a new hire is being qualified on the 5000s, an Orange Line operator could be training and qualified on the 5000s, or someone possibly has to go through retraining for some reason.

I just saw either a set of 5000s or multiple 3200s with LED signs heading northbound toward Armitage. It's late enough that all the purple lines have returned north so I'm not sure what it was. Report back if you spot it... It looked like it had some colored sign instead of "Not In Service" but I couldn't tell for certain