CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Saw a couple of 8 car consists at 11:30pm last night heading SB on the Blue line in the Kennedy median two white lights front only - the rest of the consists dark. Assume they were both not in service. Also the yard at Rosemont looks full at night. Are the 2600s starting to be retired yet?

I just saw either a set of 5000s or multiple 3200s with LED signs heading northbound toward Armitage. It's late enough that all the purple lines have returned north so I'm not sure what it was. Report back if you spot it... It looked like it had some colored sign instead of "Not In Service" but I couldn't tell for certain

It was a "training train". I saw it pass by Chicago/Franklin when the train blew the horn (whistle). There were at least 4 future operators in vest inside the cab and sitting outside the cab. The front and back have the training train sign in front of the door.

It was a "training train". I saw it pass by Chicago/Franklin when the train blew the horn (whistle). There were at least 4 future operators in vest inside the cab and sitting outside the cab. The front and back have the training train sign in front of the door.

Ah, OK. I thought I saw a colored background on the signs but I only saw it for a flash so it must have been a reflection. That makes sense.

• Kevin featured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there were equipment transfers over the weekend? There was an 8 car consist with 2753-54 in the middle at Midway yard this morning with all their mylar roller signs still on O'Hare destination. It also seemed like more equipment in the yard than usual for am peak. 

I was brainstorming on the Blue line today. I was thinking you know how they run every other weekend run to UIC only. Why not just run those trips to 54th/Cermak and only run the Pink line M-F? They could eliminate at least three Pink line consists going to the loop and possibly they could run #5000's for those trips. It would give the Blue line some updated weekend trains, but I don't know if there is a white with blue lettering 54th/cermak in the #5000 signs. It would save money and people from having to climb from the subway to the elevated just to transfer and it would also save them from going around the loop and open up more space for the other trains. If they didn't want to use #5000's, 54th/Cermak has alot of space to run #2600's and some could be laid over there, a small fleet of maybe 40 cars. It would open up room at Rosemont and Forest Pk and also give maintenance at 54th the chance to fix a few older cars. They could rotate fleets in and out of 54th.

I was brainstorming on the Blue line today. I was thinking you know how they run every other weekend run to UIC only. Why not just run those trips to 54th/Cermak and only run the Pink line M-F? They could eliminate at least three Pink line consists going to the loop and possibly they could run #5000's for those trips. It would give the Blue line some updated weekend trains, but I don't know if there is a white with blue lettering 54th/cermak in the #5000 signs. It would save money and people from having to climb from the subway to the elevated just to transfer and it would also save them from going around the loop and open up more space for the other trains. If they didn't want to use #5000's, 54th/Cermak has alot of space to run #2600's and some could be laid over there, a small fleet of maybe 40 cars. It would open up room at Rosemont and Forest Pk and also give maintenance at 54th the chance to fix a few older cars. They could rotate fleets in and out of 54th.

​Funny you'd mention it

• Upvote 4

​Since half of them are already cut back at UIC, you really aren't saving anything. You would be giving the Pink Line people hope that they will be put back on the Blue Line 24/7 (like when they made the stink that the Pink Line wouldn't put them closer to Michigan Ave., even though the station was a half block closer). Also, you would have a confusing mess in the morning, and starting about 6 pm Sunday (when all Blue Line trains go through)

However, I agree that the yard situation has 54th underutilized. Maybe there is some potential for an analogy to the Brownage, but the odds would be that they would be putting 2600s there.

• Upvote 1

​Since half of them are already cut back at UIC, you really aren't saving anything. You would be giving the Pink Line people hope that they will be put back on the Blue Line 24/7 (like when they made the stink that the Pink Line wouldn't put them closer to Michigan Ave., even though the station was a half block closer). Also, you would have a confusing mess in the morning, and starting about 6 pm Sunday (when all Blue Line trains go through)

However, I agree that the yard situation has 54th underutilized. Maybe there is some potential for an analogy to the Brownage, but the odds would be that they would be putting 2600s there.

​It might happen anyway full time if there are enough cuts to support it. You have to admit, it's a cut that nobody really loses with. (Well maybe Forest Pk) When they do decide to go ahead and fix the Forest Pk line, they will have to eliminate some trains going there or they could run UIC trains during the week, but I don't know if that would be too hard to do or not. It's been done on a limited scale in the rush but not every other train.

​It might happen anyway full time if there are enough cuts to support it. You have to admit, it's a cut that nobody really loses with. (Well maybe Forest Pk) When they do decide to go ahead and fix the Forest Pk line, they will have to eliminate some trains going there or they could run UIC trains during the week, but I don't know if that would be too hard to do or not. It's been done on a limited scale in the rush but not every other train.

Depending on how they go about it,  they could run non UIC trains to 54/Cermak while construction is done west of Loomis and end service at LaSalle when construction is between Loomis and UIC.  Other than that I don't see a scenario with eliminating the Pink Line and reuniting the 54th branch with the Blue Line.   The reason for the split in the first place was that branch didn't justify 8 car consist service compared to the Forest Park branch.

Depending on how they go about it,  they could run non UIC trains to 54/Cermak while construction is done west of Loomis and end service at LaSalle when construction is between Loomis and UIC.  Other than that I don't see a scenario with eliminating the Pink Line and reuniting the 54th branch with the Blue Line.   The reason for the split in the first place was that branch didn't justify 8 car consist service compared to the Forest Park branch.

​weekend blue line service is usually 4 cars. If they ran a few UIC bound trains m-f, (O'Hare frequency is like 3-6 minutes in the rush), possibly they could justify 8 car trains with 10-12 minute Pink line service. It's an option if they are looking to cut budgets.

​weekend blue line service is usually 4 cars. If they ran a few UIC bound trains m-f, (O'Hare frequency is like 3-6 minutes in the rush), possibly they could justify 8 car trains with 10-12 minute Pink line service. It's an option if they are looking to cut budgets.

​I still don't see how that saves them any money.

​I still don't see how that saves them any money.

​3 possibly 4 cut Pink line trains with each operator averaging a salary of $20 something an hour. An average trip from Polk NB to Polk Sb is 45 minutes. So what is that... about a $15 savings per trip? If each trip were 10 minutes apart and there were 6 per hour, 120 per day (high estimate as later service is 15 minute frequencies I think) that comes out to an $1,800 savings per day. Per year around 700K savings. For the time they are paying an operator to short turn at UIC that operator could make the trip to Polk Pink. Like you guys say the biggest hurdle is the bigger consists but who said every other train needs to go to 54th? 

On some of these fantrips, if you listen to people talk you can find out things. Graham and mostly higher rank employees were talking about Forest Pk. CTA (referring to HQ) wanted Forest Pk to cut trains to 4 cars midday from 8. Forest Pk told them they couldn't do this on the platform like at O'Hare or another terminal and it could only be done in the yard because Forest Pk pulls in on the north track and exits on the south. (I think I have seen them do both tracks but it's rare it only happens if something's late.) So they let Forest Pk not cut the trains midday. But from what I heard there was concern that they are running up high track miles on mostly low traffic areas. So CTA, at least on the HQ end, likes to run trains as efficiently as possible. So to sell them on 8 cars for Pink line would be a hard sell but it's not like they are not saving money. They could always run a few 6 car trains if they are that frugal. 

.. For the time they are paying an operator to short turn at UIC that operator could make the trip to Polk Pink....

​I certainly doubt that, especially since he will then want his break time at 54th. Have to go to the can somewhere.

I just saw 5657-5658 on the red line...haven't seen mention of them yet. Also saw a 2600 series on the red line again...

Edit: also just saw 5669-5670 going southbound brown/purple from Fullerton, not in service. Couldn't tell if it was a training train or not.

Edited by briman94

I just saw 5657-5658 on the red line...haven't seen mention of them yet. Also saw a 2600 series on the red line again...

Edit: also just saw 5669-5670 going southbound brown/purple from Fullerton, not in service. Couldn't tell if it was a training train or not.

​It was not training train because this morning Channel 9 morning  news rent the CTA trains for the segment called "Breakfast  on the moved' because this morning I watching channel  9 news this morning they were doing special segment this morning about you could rent a CTA train.

Edited by ArcherRider

​It was not training train because this morning Channel 9 morning  news rent the CTA trains for the segment called "Breakfast  on the moved' because this morning I watching channel  9 news this morning they were doing special segment this morning about you could rent a CTA train.

​The segment referred to it as a Brown Line takeover, it stopped at Francisco, and was on the Brown Line side of the tracks in the Loop. 5000-series on the Brown Line roster now...? One can hope...

​The segment referred to it as a Brown Line takeover, it stopped at Francisco, and was on the Brown Line side of the tracks in the Loop. 5000-series on the Brown Line roster now...? One can hope...

I don't think that'll happen unfortunately...just because a charter used it doesn't mean they're putting it on the roster.

​I saw the tweet about that this morning right after posting...wish I could have participated! That looked like so much fun!

Just wondering. Why is it that the Feds will not allow the CTA to charter buses, but it is okay to charter L trains ?

​Probably has to do with there not really being any private passenger train carriers like there are private bus carriers that the feds are concerned with the transit agencies pulling business from for charter services. Not sure if that explanation is correct or turns out to actually be that simple.

Just wondering. Why is it that the Feds will not allow the CTA to charter buses, but it is okay to charter L trains ?

​Probably has to do with there not really being any private passenger train carriers like there are private bus carriers that the feds are concerned with the transit agencies pulling business from for charter services. Not sure if that explanation is correct or turns out to actually be that simple.

Essentially correct. The preamble to the regulations, 49 CFR 604.1 is that the purpose is to protect private charter operators from unauthorized competition from recipients of federal financial assistance. That's based on 49 USC 5323(d), which states: "Financial assistance under this chapter may be used to buy or operate a bus only if the applicant, governmental authority, or publicly owned operator that receives the assistance agrees that, except as provided in the agreement, the governmental authority or an operator of public transportation for the governmental authority will not provide charter bus transportation service outside the urban area in which it provides regularly scheduled public transportation service."

Note that the above says "bus," but I would again argue that the regulation goes beyond the statute, and which seems to bar only such things as the Rochester RTS having special event service to Syracuse and Buffalo. But I guess this is another case of beggars can't be choosers.

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted some Blue Line 2600-series cars (2601-2602, 2911-2912, and 2845-2846) today sitting in the Howard yard.   I'm wondering if other lines are starting to feel the pinch of heavy maintenance repairs that are really needed with Skokie shops being inaccessible.   Maybe the Red Line swapped a few of their working 2600-series cars for these cars.

​Essentially correct - public agencies can do charters if there is no private operator "willing or able" to do them. In almost all cases of buses, there is at least one charter company in every town, but trains are a different matter. So all heavy rail operators COULD run charters, but relatively few do, namely CTA and NYCTA. I gather Muni will do streetcar charters, as will SEPTA, as again, who else can?

Essentially correct. The preamble to the regulations, 49 CFR 604.1 is that the purpose is to protect private charter operators from unauthorized competition from recipients of federal financial assistance. That's based on 49 USC 5323(d), which states: "Financial assistance under this chapter may be used to buy or operate a bus only if the applicant, governmental authority, or publicly owned operator that receives the assistance agrees that, except as provided in the agreement, the governmental authority or an operator of public transportation for the governmental authority will not provide charter bus transportation service outside the urban area in which it provides regularly scheduled public transportation service."

Note that the above says "bus," but I would again argue that the regulation goes beyond the statute, and which seems to bar only such things as the Rochester RTS having special event service to Syracuse and Buffalo. But I guess this is another case of beggars can't be choosers.