CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

What's the difference between "training train" and "rail instruction train"?

I'll try to answer this, but this might not the correct answer:

Training Train: This train is operated by a Rail Operator in Training with a CTA Rail Supervisor overseeing his/her operations as they get practice running a non-revenue service train on one of the CTA's rail lines to familiarize the trainee with how the particular line functions most likely because the trainee will be assigned to that line.

Rail Instruction Train: This is like a mobile classroom for the CTA. A CTA Supervisor is teaching a class of soon-to-be Rail Operators the day to day tasks and responsibilities of a CTA Rail Operator. The train is being operated by a veteran CTA Rail Operator while the Supervisor instructs the class and Operator and radios ahead to the towers as to what track(s) to put the train on as they go around the system.

This may not be anywhere near exactly how these trains differ, but this is my understanding....

I'll try to answer this, but this might not the correct answer:

Training Train: This train is operated by a Rail Operator in Training with a CTA Rail Supervisor overseeing his/her operations as they get practice running a non-revenue service train on one of the CTA's rail lines to familiarize the trainee with how the particular line functions most likely because the trainee will be assigned to that line.

Rail Instruction Train: This is like a mobile classroom for the CTA. A CTA Supervisor is teaching a class of soon-to-be Rail Operators the day to day tasks and responsibilities of a CTA Rail Operator. The train is being operated by a veteran CTA Rail Operator while the Supervisor instructs the class and Operator and radios ahead to the towers as to what track(s) to put the train on as they go around the system.

This may not be anywhere near exactly how these trains differ, but this is my understanding....

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense to me especially from my observation!! I witnessed both trains looking out the window at Chicago/Franklin.

I thought CTA retired the last of the 2400s.

"Rail Maintenance General Bulletin

SUBJECT: Removal of 2400-series rail cars from service

Effective after the AM rush period on October 31st, 2014, all remaining

2400-series rail cars will be removed from service and should not be

used for passenger service thereafter.

Bulletin RMGB 4-14 Effective: October 31, 2014

Copies to: Rail Maintenance and Rail Operations

Supersedes: N/A"

Just because you see cars in the yard doesn't mean they in passenger service. 2400 work motors are still used not not to carry passengers.

Plus there might be one last farewell trip too.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2983-2984 is now on the Orange line. It was on run 716 this morning. Interior maps have been changed to Orange line.

Last week, there were a few Blue Line 2600s sitting in Howard yard. It was only for the weekend, then they disappeared. I saw 2797-2798, 3119-3120, 3047-3048, 2653-2654, 3007-3008, and 2821-2822. I wonder if this is the start of the 2600-series retirements- or even Long-Term Holds.