CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Mind sharing more details? I'm going to be so overjoyed if I see a 5000 on the orange line tomorrow.

Of course the source is NOT the 7000s spec., which still indicates replacing 400 cars before getting to the 2 options to cover the 256 3200s.

Mind sharing more details? I'm going to be so overjoyed if I see a 5000 on the orange line tomorrow.

Sorry...there aren't any more details. Wait, until they finish the Red and Purple first. Then watch what they do with the 5000 leftovers. What I said: "Placing the number of 5000s there (Orange line) will satisfy a requirement for an operative assignment.

Sorry...there aren't any more details. Wait, until they finish the Red and Purple first. Then watch what they do with the 5000 leftovers. What I said: "Placing the number of 5000s there (Orange line) will satisfy a requirement for an operative assignment.

Guess ill be getting off on cermak and looking at the orange line overpass for any 5000s tomorroa

What I would do, would also be to go out to the end of the line and look in the Midway Yard.

Guess ill be getting off on cermak and looking at the orange line overpass for any 5000s tomorroa

Do you people READ? "Sorry...there aren't any more details. Wait, until they finish the Red and Purple first. Then watch what they do with the 5000 leftovers. What I said: "Placing the number of 5000s there (Orange line) will satisfy a requirement for an operative assignment."

Nothing is happening tomorrow.....next week......next month.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, "operative assignment" seems key here. The only proposal I've seen that mentioned changing the orange line also involved having one less color on the train system map.

Hmmm, "operative assignment" seems key here. The only proposal I've seen that mentioned changing the orange line also involved having one less color on the train system map.

Permanent brownage? That would be interesting. Then they could recycle a color to use for the circle line we all want!

Permanent brownage? That would be interesting. Then they could recycle a color to use for the circle line we all want!

Yeah, but wouldn't reusing the colors be confusing? "The Brown Line goes where now?"

The only other thing I can think is that the Purple line would merge with either the Red line or the Orange line. Red line makes the most sense...a line from Linden to 95th through the subway.

Does the Ravenston count?

Also, that would be quite the distance for one run.

Are any of its 54 2400's off the line?

8 went up to Skokie last week. I'll see if I can get the numbers. I talked with some people I know over at the Orange line, they claim all #2400's will be off the road by the end of the month. Sounds like the work cars will stay though like the ones in Howard yard in a work related capacity. So this leaves me wondering if there's going to be a big shift of #2600 cars coming soon or could they possibly throw in a set of #5000's to train orange line operators

• Upvote 1

I think you guys are being hosed, especially by someone who probably would route the chartreuse line to Oakbrook. Anyway, operative doesn't mean "change colors." It means operations, like maybe a yard being short cars.

Among other things, the literature for the Wilson station says that it will be a Red and Purple stop.

While the Circle Line maps showed the Orange and Brown Lines connected (also Douglas and Brown), that would be too unbalanced. Also, that would deprive Ravenswood and Midway passengers of access to the main subway transfer points on Lake.

The only way the colors change is if something radical happens, such as disconnecting Douglas from O'Hare-Congress.

Of course, wasn't the original plan to make the Orange Line 100% 5000-series and move its 3200-series to the Blue Line to replace some of its 2600s? I have read some past articles that stated that the Blue and Brown Lines will be the only lines operating DC motor equipment after all 5000s are delivered. Apparently that isn't happening now due to there not being enough remaining 5000s on order to fully convert the Orange Line, unless CTA decides to shrink the inflated Red or Purple Line fleets.

Of course, wasn't the original plan to make the Orange Line 100% 5000-series and move its 3200-series to the Blue Line to replace some of its 2600s? I have read some past articles that stated that the Blue and Brown Lines will be the only lines operating DC motor equipment after all 5000s are delivered. Apparently that isn't happening now due to there not being enough remaining 5000s on order to fully convert the Orange Line, unless CTA decides to shrink the inflated Red or Purple Line fleets.

They can't make the Orange line 100 percent #5000's but they can make non brownage trips 100 percent #5000. But some will eventually find their way into Brown line territory as that's inevitable if any are on the Orange. It should be interesting how they swing the Orange line #3200's through a rehab when they will be receiving #5000's. I think at some point 30-40 #3200's may just disappear to Skokie shops, but something tells me they may reappear on the Brown line as rehabbed cars. They could always float 40 cars until the rehabs are over. If indeed the proposal to rehab 100 #2600's does happen what will the Blue line use for cars while that rehab is ongoing? Unless they plan on using a few extra #2600 cars from Howard yard. Then you have to wonder about #2600 retirements as that could be a gray area if you retire 200 cars, maybe the plan is to retire 100 and once the #3200 rehab and #2600 rehab is over retire another 100 #2600's.

• Upvote 1

They can't make the Orange line 100 percent #5000's but they can make non brownage trips 100 percent #5000. But some will eventually find their way into Brown line territory as that's inevitable if any are on the Orange. ...

I noted that the budget used the term "currently," but it does say that the 3200s rehab will help the Orange and Brown Lines. Read into that what you want.

You guys can find more things that aren't there, LOL.

I said what???? Sorry...there aren't any more details. Wait, until they finish the Red and Purple first. Then watch what they do with the 5000 leftovers. What I said: "Placing the number of 5000s there (Orange line) will satisfy a requirement for an operative assignment.

I did not say anything about changing route colors....nothing about Brownage, Ravenston. no linkups with Orange and Brown....you won't see it until the day comes.....nothing about 7000s, 3200 rehabs, and most certainly, nothing about the Circle line.

Truthfully, jtrosario and Busjack got the idea best. I don't know where Pink Jazz got his info from.....especially about having enough 5000s for all the Orange line. Maybe he read Chicago "L".org because the editor DID leave off the words about "how much."

We'll try it again..... "operative assignment"...there should enough 5000s to handle Orange line base service....that means 4 cars non-rush and weekends. Double the 4 car consists to make up rush hour 8 car trains. This way the 5000s are used the most. Used every day. Simple???