CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Did the 2400's just go off the Green Line

Yes. Of the last eight 2400s that remained on the Green Line until the end of their Green Line lives, the ones without work stripes were reassigned to the Purple Line while the ones with work stripes (2415-2418, 2423-2424) are being reserved as a test train for the to-be-rebuilt Red Line Dan Ryan trackage.

• Upvote 1

Green Line:(Updated 5/21/13)

2200-Series Cars(Budd Company 1969-1970)

No Cars assigned to this Line

2400-Series Cars(Boeing-Vertol 1976-1978)

2600-Series Cars(Budd Company/Transit America 1981-1987)

3200-Series Cars(Morrison-Knudsen 1991-1994)

5000-Series Cars(Bombardier Transit Corporation 2009-????)

(108 Cars Total)

5023-5024

5041-5046

5049-5148

Not all cars assigned or delivered yet. Assignments may vary...

2400-Series railcars starting retirement

I never thought that would happen. In an earlier comment made a few months back, it was said that it seemed that there would not be enough 5000s to maintain exclusive schedule coverage other than on the Pink and Yellow lines. Therefore the Green, Red, Purple and Orange lines would retain a small percentage of D.C. equipment (e.g. 2600 or 3200 series) as supplemental backup. Although I wonder how long it will last, at least for now (or at least until the Red Line Reconstruction is finished in October/November) it appears the Green line will run exclusive 5000 series. I know, that's probably not a "big deal" to some of you on this board. But to me, it's just a bit of a novelty seeing as I used to ride this line (Jackson Park "B") frequently before I moved to Arizona nearly 16 years ago.

Edited by 4CottageGrove95th

Yes. Of the last eight 2400s that remained on the Green Line until the end of their Green Line lives, the ones without work stripes were reassigned to the Purple Line while the ones with work stripes (2415-2418, 2423-2424) are being reserved as a test train for the to-be-rebuilt Red Line Dan Ryan trackage.

Actually none of those cars have any work stripes either if you look at pictures of it posted on here by DH. (Don't know why they have been removed, perhaps they are not work cars anymore?)

Actually none of those cars have any work stripes either if you look at pictures of it posted on here by DH. (Don't know why they have been removed, perhaps they are not work cars anymore?)

They are preparing to retire the 2400's in the next few years, so that's my thought as to why the work stripes are gone. They'll still be used as work cars until retirement, my guess. They just won't be branded as such. 2891-2900 will become the new work cars from the 2600-Series as well as 3441-3444 from the 3200-Series cars.

• 4 weeks later...

3369-3370 were in Howard yard this afternoon.

Yeah the #3200's that were on the Brown line have gone back this week, and they got the #3300's back from the Orange line. The only thing is the Brown line seems to have even more cars than it had before. I've seen cars down to #3289-90. There were about 8 extra cars in Kimball yard yesterday, usually the yard is pretty much cleaned out for the rush. I guess they want the Orange line to use more of the #2400's.

Yeah the #3200's that were on the Brown line have gone back this week, and they got the #3300's back from the Orange line. The only thing is the Brown line seems to have even more cars than it had before. I've seen cars down to #3289-90. There were about 8 extra cars in Kimball yard yesterday, usually the yard is pretty much cleaned out for the rush. I guess they want the Orange line to use more of the #2400's.

What is the capacity of the rail yards? People have mentioned in the past how the Kimball Yard was at capacity with 142-144, but I've seen it jump to 156 and now 170. It might not be the biggest yard, but I wonder if it can house 190-200 cars.

What is the capacity of the rail yards? People have mentioned in the past how the Kimball Yard was at capacity with 142-144, but I've seen it jump to 156 and now 170. It might not be the biggest yard, but I wonder if it can house 190-200 cars.

That may be why there's cars at Howard yard.

That may be why there's cars at Howard yard.

Howard yard has no room for extra cars right now. In fact, the Red Line sends 16 to 32 cars to Linden every night between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. for storage because there is no room for extra equipment since the Red Line South Reconstruction project started.

They are preparing to retire the 2400's in the next few years, so that's my thought as to why the work stripes are gone. They'll still be used as work cars until retirement, my guess. They just won't be branded as such. 2891-2900 will become the new work cars from the 2600-Series as well as 3441-3444 from the 3200-Series cars.

Do you have any basis for this, or is this like your 4600 series of buses? There is no point to assigning numbers unless you see those cars hooked up to flatcars.

I never thought that would happen. In an earlier comment made a few months back, it was said that it seemed that there would not be enough 5000s to maintain exclusive schedule coverage other than on the Pink and Yellow lines. Therefore the Green, Red, Purple and Orange lines would retain a small percentage of D.C. equipment (e.g. 2600 or 3200 series) as supplemental backup.....

There would be no point to that. Besides that the 5000s in passenger service can't train with the older cars, news reports when the 5000 deliveries were on hold were that the fleet was up about 90 cars. If you look at the latest Financial Report, there is the entry:

Material Expense was over budget by $0.2 million. Material expense for the year to date

was $2.2 million over budget due to the maintenance of 102 more rail cars than planned, an

increase in both the replacement rate for parts and in the cost of components.

Since the deliveries are back on, why should CTA continue to incur this expense?

I just spotted 5000s cars #5053-54 on the Pink Line earlier today. Those cars came from the Green Line.

Obviously, all these transfers are needed to get extra cars to replace cars that are now out of service, due to the weld repairs. It would seem though that the cars getting fixed are coming off the Pink line as they are the ones that's having a gain in cars.

Do you have any basis for this, or is this like your 4600 series of buses? There is no point to assigning numbers unless you see those cars hooked up to flatcars.

If you look at this roster from 2000 here and look at the notes by the following cars with the "*":

2401-2410

2411-2422

2891-2900

3441-3444

and look at the bottom of the page where the "*" is located, you'll see the following note for all these cars.

Equipped with 600V jumper for work train service

Chicago-l.org doesn't really seem to be wanting to update rosters and put little notes in nowadays, but I highly doubt that this has changed since this roster was made as the 2400's mentioned are used as work trains still today, some might even still have their striping. The 2600's are used as the Santa Train for this reason, and the 3200's have yet to be utilized that I know of, but since they got the same 600V jumper, they can also pull flat cars and be a work train.

Chicago-l.org doesn't really seem to be wanting to update rosters and put little notes in nowadays, but I highly doubt that this has changed since this roster was made as the 2400's mentioned are used as work trains still today, some might even still have their striping. The 2600's are used as the Santa Train for this reason, and the 3200's have yet to be utilized that I know of, but since they got the same 600V jumper, they can also pull flat cars and be a work train.

It might just be me, but there haven't exactly been a lot of updates to that site recently.

It might just be me, but there haven't exactly been a lot of updates to that site recently.

Yeah, I've noticed that. However, I don't think the railcars that were noted to have the 600V jumper for work train service have changed since that update long, long ago. All those railcars mentioned have had flatcars on them(at least 2401-2422 and 2891-2900). With that being said, 3441-3444 haven't been seen as far as I know as work cars, but I'm sure they still have the 600V jumper for it.

I never thought that would happen. In an earlier comment made a few months back, it was said that it seemed that there would not be enough 5000s to maintain exclusive schedule coverage other than on the Pink and Yellow lines. Therefore the Green, Red, Purple and Orange lines would retain a small percentage of D.C. equipment (e.g. 2600 or 3200 series) as supplemental backup......

Busjack, on 19 Jun 2013 - 07:45, said:

There would be no point to that. Besides that the 5000s in passenger service can't train with the older cars.........

Sorry about that. What I meant was that a small percentage of D.C. equipment would be retained for supplemental backup that would, of course, run in rev service exclusive and apart from the 5000s (e.g., if say the Green Line needed additional six car trains beyond the number of assigned 5000s, there would be enough D.C. equipment to run an additional 3 or 4 six car trains made up of only 2600s or 3200s or a mixture of the two series).

However, for right now, that appears to be a mute point, at least for the Pink and Green Lines.

#3369-70's back on the Orange line. They have transferred over some more #2400's from the Purple line to the Orange line so they have about 60 #2400's now. (the roster has been updated)

Since last week, the Orange Line has also has former Purple Line 2400s cars #2577-78 as well. I've seen them heading to Midway Airport terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

So since there are 62 2400-Series railcars to 84 3200-Series railcars on the Orange Line now, are there more car consists of 2400's or perhaps now mixed sets of 3200's and 2400's on the Orange Line?

I haven't seen mixed sets since the #2400's first went over to the Orange line months ago, ratio of trains varies, one day I saw 3 #2400 consists, one day I saw 6.

• 5 weeks later...

Long-Term Holds/Retired/Not In Service Trains:(Updated 7/20/13)

2600-Series Cars(Budd Company/Transit America 1981-1987)

(9 Cars Out Of Service)

2701-2702

2977-2978

2631: Possibly retired. No info currently as to why...

2701-2702: 2701 Retired, 2702 still available for revenue service. Info credited to BusHunter.

2721-2722: 2721 still available for revenue service, 2722 Retired . Info credited to BusHunter.

2792: Possibly Retired.... Car 2791 paired with car 2856 now.

2855: Possibly Retired.... Car 2856 paired with car 2791 now.

2977-2978: Derailed at the Lake/Milwaukee turn in the Dearborn Subway and started a fire. 2977 has been retired, but 2978 is still available for revenue service. Info credited to BusHunter.

3031: Possibly Retired.... Car 3032 re-numbered 3458 and paired with Morrison-Knudsen unit 3457 now.

Does anybody know what happened to car 2792? I was able to find that it had been converted to a work car by 1989 but that's it. Was it involved in some sort of accident? When was it scrapped?

http://archive.org/stream/cta198991service00chic/cta198991service00chic_djvu.txt