CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Technically, the closure of the Wells/Lake junction will continue through this weekend. Thus, don't expect any equipment moves until early Monday morning.

As for the Green Line (temporarily) losing some 5000s, it is largely due to the segmentation of the route into three sections. As such, not as many cars are needed for this three-segment level of service. In addition, the Green Line seems to have gained some 2400s back. This might indicate that the CTA has other (unknown) plans for the route.

I wonder if 2221-22 was one of them that just recently return to service, I rode them last week and before that haven't seen them at all since last year. Those were my favorite Units of 2200s.

With the Wells St. Brige project done until late April, one has to wonder if the jumbled rosters will stay pat or be returned to their original assignments...

Pink Line has gained 5000's from the Green Line. Temporarily or what?

Countdown to part 2 of the Wells St. Bridge shutdown... 7 weeks.

I don't get why Pink Line needs more cars, don't they have enough of theirs? Or has Pink Line been giving some of their Oldest 5000s to the Red?

With the Wells St. Brige project done until late April, one has to wonder if the jumbled rosters will stay pat or be returned to their original assignments...

Countdown to part 2 of the Wells St. Bridge shutdown... 7 weeks.

Everything seems to be back in place, but the recent transfers between Brown and Orange were curiously absent from service today. They might be holding those in to transfer back, if they haven't done so already. As far as the Blue line #2200's, it looks as if there pooling what they have and running what works. There wasn't really that many in service today to say there all out at the same time. Some of those are staying in the yard. They only need about 30 of those in service. They might have retired some. I'll see if I can find out what's up.

I don't get why Pink Line needs more cars, don't they have enough of theirs? Or has Pink Line been giving some of their Oldest 5000s to the Red?

If certain lines need extra service, what is the purpose behind shaking up the fleet so often? I haven't counted up the number of cars transfered, as posted here, say, within the past 3 months. But to me when it all shakes out, any given line(s) has/have gained 8-16 permanently assigned cars? If Midway has 3357-3378 (20) and Kimball has 3255-3256 and 3267-3294 (28), why move 48 cars when the net gain is 8?

Everything seems to be back in place, but the recent transfers between Brown and Orange were curiously absent from service today. They might be holding those in to transfer back, if they haven't done so already. As far as the Blue line #2200's, it looks as if there pooling what they have and running what works. There wasn't really that many in service today to say there all out at the same time. Some of those are staying in the yard. They only need about 30 of those in service. They might have retired some. I'll see if I can find out what's up.

Today at rosemont they had about 16 #2200 cars in the yard, the rest were in service. Some cars like #2301-02 I believe haven't left the yard in a few weeks. Some other ones like #2343-44 are gone altogether. (just as well that one had a boarded up operators window and was kind of an eyesore)

You can scratch 2224 off the list. I saw it today on a low boy trailer headed to Boot Hill. I've also learned some more of the route used. Previously I've followed a 2200 carcass south on Cicero, then turning east on 95th St. At S. Halsted, in the city, they turned south. Hmm.....that's only a mile west of the end of the Red line at 95th/Dan Ryan.

Today the southward journey on Halsted ends at Ridge Ave. in Homewood where they turned east. Ridge runs into Margaret St. in Thornton, IL which runs into Thornton- Lansing Road. They turned south onto Torrence Ave in Lansing, IL. The scrapper in Chicago Heights is a hop, step, and a jump away.

DH

When do the 5000's go on the Purple Line?

Either 2015, or if my view of current developments is correct, not at all.

As I mentioned in connection with the 7000 specs, Addendum 1, the projection there was that 400 7000s would replace 2600s. If that's the case, there are approximately 320 cars on the Blue Line and 80 on the Purple Line,which adds up to, you guessed it, 400. Again, one of the coincidences that isn't

I haven't figured where the about 110 3200s go after the Orange Line is supposed to get 5000s. Maybe to Purple.

If you look at the 2200s thread, rumor mongers had them all gone by Dec. 2012, but some are still here. One really doesn't know the extent of CTA fleet expansion plans, except that the 400 2600s left over seem to correspond to some news reports of fleet expansion of about 300.

Either 2015, or if my view of current developments is correct, not at all.

As I mentioned in connection with the 7000 specs, Addendum 1, the projection there was that 400 7000s would replace 2600s. If that's the case, there are approximately 320 cars on the Blue Line and 80 on the Purple Line,which adds up to, you guessed it, 400. Again, one of the coincidences that isn't

I haven't figured where the about 110 3200s go after the Orange Line is supposed to get 5000s. Maybe to Purple.

If you look at the 2200s thread, rumor mongers had them all gone by Dec. 2012, but some are still here. One really doesn't know the extent of CTA fleet expansion plans, except that the 400 2600s left over seem to correspond to some news reports of fleet expansion of about 300.

Given that the Purple and Red both come out of Howard Yard and both lines have been known to share cars, I find that hard to believe. I'm regularly boarding older cars on the Red line that display Purple line cards and vice versa. There's nothing written given current practice that says the Purple line can't get 5000s and they sometimes get used on the Red when not in use on the Purple. Not saying your scenario can't happen. It's just hard to see the Red line get equipped with new cars and the Purple wait for 7000s to come unless the borrowing of cars between both ceases since you need cars that can be trained together to keep that practice when needed.

Given that the Purple and Red both come out of Howard Yard and both lines have been known to share cars, I find that hard to believe. I'm regularly boarding older cars on the Red line that display Purple line cards and vice versa. There's nothing written given current practice that says the Purple line can't get 5000s and they sometimes get used on the Red when not in use on the Purple. Not saying your scenario can't happen. It's just hard to see the Red line get equipped with new cars and the Purple wait for 7000s to come unless the borrowing of cars between both ceases since you need cars that can be trained together to keep that practice when needed.

The biggest thing you guys still overlook is that yards and lines that have exchanged equipment are exchanging DC rail cars that all CTA personnel are qualified to operate. The 5000 series is a different breed altogether. You cannot operate a 5000 rail car unless you have received training and have qualified. Don't believe me....name one set of 5000s that have operated on the Brown line with Brown line crews or on the Purple line with Purple line crews. Reality!

DH

DH

The biggest thing you guys still overlook is that yards and lines that have exchanged equipment are exchanging DC rail cars that all CTA personnel are qualified to operate. The 5000 series is a different breed altogether. You cannot operate a 5000 rail car unless you have received training and have qualified. Don't believe me....name one set of 5000s that have operated on the Brown line with Brown line crews or on the Purple line with Purple line crews. Reality!

DH

DH

This statement poses a question in itself. How can a Purple line train borrow DC cars, if all Red line cars are AC? This question alone backs up the probability that the Red line will not receive all new cars so the Purple line has something to borrow. Now if the Purple line crews received training with #5000's, then the Red line could have all #5000 series cars.

Not all the purple line cars come out of Howard only a few the bulk are at the end of the line at the Linden Yard.

They come out of both, and maybe in the proportion you indicate during rush hour, but otherwise not.

The essential issue is that while the cars are going from Linden to the Loop, something has to maintain the shuttle from Howard to Linden, which are cars from the Howard yard, until the first express train comes back from the Loop. Typically two cars go northbound, and then hitch to 4 at Linden to go to the Loop. I assume the reverse happens at the end of both rush hours.

However, that doesn't explain which yards supply the cars off peak.

At least at one time, weekend Linden shuttle cars had Red Line maps in them. I don't know if that continues.

And, as David points out, the issue is who is trained to handle what runs.

DH

DH

I didn't overlook that detail altogether. I just didn't state it explicitly since if we look at the overall picture it doesn't change the intent of my post and ties in still with my point, which is if the Red line goes all 5000s, what's to keep them from training the crews of the Purple for them so that line can still be equipped with cars compatible to those regularly assigned to the Red either way if a need arises to interchange cars? It sounds like it would make life easier for the crews than waiting on qualifying to operate 7000s up to two years down the road.

Is the Brown Line going to borrow 5000's from the Orange Line

How could the Brown line "borrow" 5000s from the Orange line. The Orange line does not have 5000s. Neither line can have 5000s, the Brown or the Orange because the operators on either line are NOT qualified to operate 5000s. During the first Wells Street bridge project, a train of 5000s may have operated with Brown line roll signs to Merchandise Mart, but that train was a Red line train, on loan, operated by a Red line crew. 5000s cannot be shifted around willy nilly. 5000 s do have all the roll signs in their menu for all eight CTA lines.

DH