Blue Line Reconstruction

renardo870

Prior to today  every time I took the Blue Line to IMD. the EN trains would crossover to WB tracks east of Western 

Today was the first time I rode a train that stayed on the EB tracks to IMD during the construction time 

UPDATE  My WB train boarded on the WB tracks from IMD .  If spears like the next EB train is going to use the EB tracks to IMD.  It was departing Western as we were entering Western. 

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Prior to today  every time I took the Blue Line to IMD. the EN trains would crossover to WB tracks east of Western 

Today was the first time I rode a train that stayed on the EB tracks to IMD during the construction time 

Must be doing that so they can full replace the tracks up to that point

41 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

back in the day before the reconstruction there was a side track there (you couldn’t really see it cuz it was so buried under) but it was for ROW machines for maintenance which wasn’t used in years 

There are "shoefly" tracks along the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line.   The majority of the time its used for temporary storage of machinery when track work is going to take place .  

Years ago CTA used shoefly tracks when doing construction on the Red line Dan Ryan branch where in service trains actually used the shoefly tracks around the construction of the main tracks

This obviously was a stop-gap because eventually that branch had to undergo a total reconstruction in 2013.

50 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

There are "shoefly" tracks along the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line.   The majority of the time its used for temporary storage of machinery when track work is going to take place .  

Years ago CTA used shoefly tracks when doing construction on the Red line Dan Ryan branch where in service trains actually used the shoefly tracks around the construction of the main tracks

This obviously was a stop-gap because eventually that branch had to undergo a total reconstruction in 2013.

Ahh I didn't think CTA would rebuild and preserve those tracks. As far as shoeflies on the Dan Ryan I wouldn't count those as a stopgap seeing as that project was focused on updating power to handle longer trains and increased frequency on the red line. The stop gaps occured about 4 years after that project which involved nightly single tracking on the line in an attempt to realign the tracks and replace ties before they realized the underlying trackbed needed to be replaced. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

41 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Ahh I didn't think CTA would rebuild and preserve those tracks. As far as shoeflies on the Dan Ryan I wouldn't count those as a stopgap seeing as that project was focused on updating power to handle longer trains and increased frequency on the red line. The stop gaps occured about 4 years after that project which involved nightly single tracking on the line in an attempt to realign the tracks and replace ties before they realized the underlying trackbed needed to be replaced. 

The Dan Ryan ones were because, despite what Kruesi said, that work was only to replace the crossovers, and, a couple of years later when there was the rebuild, the crossovers were retained. The shooflies went into the expressway shoulder, so obviously not permanent.

I don't know what the Blue Line ones are for, but storage seems to make the most sense.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Busjack said:

CTA Press Release that the line cut will end Oct. 8, although there will be a cut between LaSalle and IMD next weekend.

From the sounds of the press release, they're going back to the longer line cut next weekend to tie up loose ends and make sure they have everything in order to go into that final week of construction before the full line is reopened. At least, that's what I get from their saying that the longer line cut is needed to make sure they keep construction on schedule and within budget.

2 minutes ago, jajuan said:

From the sounds of the press release, they're going back to the longer line cut next weekend to tie up loose ends and make sure they have everything in order to go into that final week of construction before the full line is reopened. At least, that's what I get from their saying that the longer line cut is needed to make sure they keep construction on schedule and within budget.

I suppose better safe than sorry.   But if you aren't sure about LaSalle to Halsted, why restore that service?  Or is there a problem that gas crept up and it needs to be fixed before the full opening?  They could have run test trains before opening that initial stretch.

53 minutes ago, jajuan said:

47 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose better safe than sorry.   But if you aren't sure about LaSalle to Halsted, why restore that service?  Or is there a problem that gas crept up and it needs to be fixed before the full opening?  They could have run test trains before opening that initial stretch.

Probably due to the fact that there's no switch between LaSalle and after UIC Halsted so they gotta go back to what they couldn't reach ?

13 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

But what I am saying is why not do that part when you had rge ling stretch closed the first time?

Maybe a different set of components? ? Also I'd imagine that transition from ballasted track to direct fixation might need a double check but hey we're all just guessing lmao 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

i rode the new tracks earlier signals are yet to be programmed and more electrical work to be finished (per CTA signals and the minor work left will be completed by end of year)

Do you know if there are any special operational restrictions on this stretch?

(I'm thinking that CTA has a history of bad accidents under construction conditions, such as events leading to the train going up the O'Hare escalator.)

• Haha 2