Blue Line Reconstruction

renardo870

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

From the map, Financial Place is the only regular stop. NB, the stop is on Jefferson. Looks like 7 is the alternative, but one would have to walk to Polk.

image.thumb.png.c656c83b8d2a801f40213d0504bd89ef.png

While Jefferson is technically close to Clinton ( not by much) CTA train announcements say " transfer to Metra and Amtrak trains at Clinton. "  Therefore it would make sense to add the Union Station stop at Jackson and Canal, especially since it's on the route.  Financial Place is really intended to  replace LaSalle  and to facilitate transfers to the Loop L.  I would venture more people are heading to Union Station instead of the Greyhound station. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I've been wondering. Does the BX run on the Ike and Ida B Wells Drive since there are no intermediate stops on the route between IMD and Dearborn/Jackson?

Good question.   I suppose it could.  The trick would be to get in the left lanes on the inbound Ike ASAP.   But I honestly think running Jackson all the way downtown would be the best bet. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:26 AM, busfan2847 said:

But they could run shuttles from Oak Park and Austin to the Green Line, perhaps as a loop

That's what I meant.

The way I wrote my post was unclear. What I intended to say was they could run shuttles from Blue Line stations to their corresponding Green Line stations and could run additional shuttles from Blue Line stations to the corresponding Pink Line stations east of Austin. 

It is unfortunate that funding hasn't been secured for the entire line's rebuild because the Forest Park branch is perfectly positioned to close the entire branch and shuttle folks to the nearby Green and Pink Line stations. They could also run Blue Line trains on the Pink Line, similar to the way Red Line trains ran to 63rd and Ashland. They only ran that way for almost 50 years before being split.

7 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

The way I wrote my post was unclear. What I intended to say was they could run shuttles from Blue Line stations to their corresponding Green Line stations and could run additional shuttles from Blue Line stations to the corresponding Pink Line stations east of Austin. and

Since CTA and Pace are giving free rides between the Green and Pink Lines, there doesn't seem to be the need for additional srvice. I don't know if that's a long-term solution, but it doesn't look there will be a complete shut down like the Dan Ryan.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

This is doubtlessly why the stop is on Jefferson: Canal Street closes outside Union Station for 18 months of construction.

This doesn't affect the bus stops on Jackson heading EB at Canal.   The BL shuttle was able to stop with no problem whatsoever at Canal.  If the construction was on Jackson,  that would be a different story.  If the 7 and 126 can make that stop, so can the BL Shuttle. .

One could argue that CTA intended to use Canal instead of Jefferson for the shuttle route.  Had they been able to, a Union Station stop wouldn't have been feasible except possibly at the NE corner of Van Buren and Canal.  But because of construction,  Jefferson became the route.  

I spotted 8405 on the BL shuttle Friday afternoon from among the 77th operated runs. And interestingly enough it was signed as a 145 Wilson/Michigan Express to Ravenswood. It was crazy seeing a bus signed up for that route after all this time given of course that the route's been dead for a bit over a decade. ?

UPDATE: Have to correct myself. Actually it was 8345 out FG that I saw because I just saw it just now on the 84 Peterson with its sign still stuck on 145. 

On 8/9/2023 at 12:22 AM, artthouwill said:

This doesn't affect the bus stops on Jackson heading EB at Canal.   The BL shuttle was able to stop with no problem whatsoever at Canal.  If the construction was on Jackson,  that would be a different story.  If the 7 and 126 can make that stop, so can the BL Shuttle. .

One could argue that CTA intended to use Canal instead of Jefferson for the shuttle route.  Had they been able to, a Union Station stop wouldn't have been feasible except possibly at the NE corner of Van Buren and Canal.  But because of construction,  Jefferson became the route.  

Did catch a BL Friday morning that did stop at Jackson/Canal.

8 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Tried the BL out on Friday. The second inbound I caught followed the Jackson route above. The first went Ogden > Van Buren > WESTERN > Harrison!

I don't understand that one.  I could see Damen.  The only possibility is that someone with a wheelchair or disability wanted to board or alight a shuttle at Western which isn't an accessible station.  Otherwise this is pretty much out of the way.   If they were getting off at Western,  it would make sense for them to take an outbound shuttle,  drop off most passengers at Damen, then proceed to Western .  The only exception would be if that passenger actually boarded at Ogden.  If the passenger was being picked up at Western,  that's a different story although the 49 and the Pink Line might have been an option but you can't force someone to take that route 

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't understand that one.  I could see Damen.  The only possibility is that someone with a wheelchair or disability wanted to board or alight a shuttle at Western which isn't an accessible station.  Otherwise this is pretty much out of the way.   If they were getting off at Western,  it would make sense for them to take an outbound shuttle,  drop off most passengers at Damen, then proceed to Western .  The only exception would be if that passenger actually boarded at Ogden.  If the passenger was being picked up at Western,  that's a different story although the 49 and the Pink Line might have been an option but you can't force someone to take that route 

We slowed so the driver could see if anyone was at Western, but we did not stop.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've been able to see in recent days, main rails and ties have been laid between IMD and at least the junction area with the old 54th/Cermak connector track. Third rails have yet to be installed. Yesterday and this morning they looked to have been working on setting up and ensuring proper alignment of the rails so that they could be secured to the ties. Just last week there were no rails or ties at all, if I'm remembering correctly. The ramp from the main station entrance at Racine down to the Racine stop platform is gone of course since CTA did mention that that entrance was getting completely rebuilt with work going into late 2024, after which the Loomis entrance gets closed and rebuilt with a 2025 finish date.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

From what I've been able to see in recent days, main rails and ties have been laid between IMD and at least the junction area with the old 54th/Cermak connector track. Third rails have yet to be installed. Yesterday and this morning they looked to have been working on setting up and ensuring proper alignment of the rails so that they could be secured to the ties. Just last week there were no rails or ties at all, if I'm remembering correctly. The ramp from the main station entrance at Racine down to the Racine stop platform is gone of course since CTA did mention that that entrance was getting completely rebuilt with work going into late 2024, after which the Loomis entrance gets closed and rebuilt with a 2025 finish date.

Funny.  I was at IMD today and I didn't look far down the expressway. But it appeared that the rails and ties were gone from the east end of the platform to at least Paulina

I just figured they were working west to east  but hopefully I will get a chance to take a little closer look soon

I wish I had gotten a better look at this from the Pink Line train later on but missed the opportunity to look when we Crosse over the Ike.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Funny.  I was at IMD today and I didn't look far down the expressway. But it appeared that the rails and ties were gone from the east end of the platform to at least Paulina

I just figured they were working west to east  but hopefully I will get a chance to take a little closer look soon

I wish I had gotten a better look at this from the Pink Line train later on but missed the opportunity to look when we Crosse over the Ike.

I was also at IMD today, tracks are laid down until the Loomis connector nothing further east than that. Here’s a pic from CTA’s twitter account showing the progress

1F17A479-F532-4331-B046-F0449DBA28F1.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

I was also at IMD today, tracks are laid down until the Loomis connector nothing further east than that. Here’s a pic from CTA’s twitter account showing the progress

Are they using granite ballast like on the Ryan rebuild or are they going to make the same mistake & use that cheap limestone again, which is destroyed by the poor drainage in the median?

12 minutes ago, strictures said:

Are they using granite ballast like on the Ryan rebuild or are they going to make the same mistake & use that cheap limestone again, which is destroyed by the poor drainage in the median?

I know this is fresh track but I don't remember our ballast being that light. But since we're actually getting fresh ballast out here on the south side I'll take a look at the tracks and compare. 

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

Yeah I noticed the progress Wednesday morning when riding on Ashland going over the Ike and was able to get closer views yesterday morning while in an Uber on the Ike itself. I know from Ashland it looked like they got up to at least the connector. It didn't look like it was anything laid from the Racine station eastward when I rode past yesterday, but it was hard to tell for sure from my vantage point with it being so early in the morning and still kind of dark. So thanks for the confirmation that there wasn't.

14 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

From what I saw today. Tracks are  laid but no toes on 3rd rail. At least on the WB tracks.  They had what appeared to be track gage machinery working on the EB track so I couldn't get a a good look.