Renew The Blue: Forest Park Branch

Juniorz

On 10/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Brandon93 said:

They really don't need to add elevators at most of the stations because majority of the stations have ramps, so they need to add handicapped gates up to Cicero on the Forest Park Branch. I agree the Forest Park branch needs major upgrades and the tracks need reconstruction just like Red in 2013.

To be honest, those ramps need to be wider as well.  I guess people in the 1960s were smaller.  But now people are bigger and these electric wheelchairs are big like minicars.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Brandon93 said:

They really don't need to add elevators at most of the stations because majority of the stations have ramps, so they need to add handicapped gates up to Cicero on the Forest Park Branch. I agree the Forest Park branch needs major upgrades and the tracks need reconstruction just like Red in 2013.

They need to have landings for the wheelchairs or you will have an express wheelchair lol!! That why uic halsted ramp was redone. The ramps while nice reqpuire alot of walking to get to the train. They need some more direct connections.

22 hours ago, rl12383 said:

Looks like Racine is next for ADA updates, its listed on this months board meeting. Also, the first phase of the Congress branch renewal, which runs from the portal to around medical district (I think) is listed. Link below:

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/21/Oct2021_-_FAB_Web_Agenda.pdf?29793

Yeah they want the congress branch done at least out to loomis junction, this way they can do a line cut which seems to be the thinking for the forest park branch rehab. Still yet to be shown or constructed is the turnaround curve they want to construct. This way they can turn trains fast like at howard yard. 

55 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah they want the congress branch done at least out to loomis junction, this way they can do a line cut which seems to be the thinking for the forest park branch rehab. Still yet to be shown or constructed is the turnaround curve they want to construct. This way they can turn trains fast like at howard yard. 

Turnaround curve?  There's one at Forest Park which they don't use.  If you are referring to Racine,  you already have Morgan middle track to switch trains into Racine. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Turnaround curve?  There's one at Forest Park which they don't use.  If you are referring to Racine,  you already have Morgan middle track to switch trains into Racine. 

It was in either the budget or some project documents. We talked about it before just the subject got quiet on it. I believe it was supposed to be around the medical center stop or imd what they call it now. The track real estate does get pretty wide around paulina but i dont know how they would build a 180 there.  Perhaps I misunderstood a curve, but there was supposed to be a new turnaround there. Id look it up but im about to go on shift for 7 hours. 

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It was in either the budget or some project documents. We talked about it before just the subject got quiet on it. I believe it was supposed to be around the medical center stop or imd what they call it now. The track real estate does get pretty wide around paulina but i dont know how they would build a 180 there.  Perhaps I misunderstood a curve, but there was supposed to be a new turnaround there. Id look it up but im about to go on shift for 7 hours. 

I don’t know about a turnaround but I know they did say a turnback track at IMD hopefully one that’s more efficient than the set up at UIC 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

I don’t know about a turnaround but I know they did say a turnback track at IMD hopefully one that’s more efficient than the set up at UIC 

What is wrong with Morgan Middle Teack?  It can berth two 8 car consists.  Nor only does it work for O'Hare to UIC short turns, it also works for Pink Line shorts to Racine.   The next crossover west of MORGAN is the crossover just east of Western.   To have an IMD turnback track, it would have to be built just west of Damen, meaning that there would be 2 crossovers between Damen and Western.  Generally.the crossovers are a mile apart and are just east of the stations.  I think Cicero,  Austin,  and Oak Park are the exceptions.

43 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

What is wrong with Morgan Middle Teack?  It can berth two 8 car consists.  Nor only does it work for O'Hare to UIC short turns, it also works for Pink Line shorts to Racine.   The next crossover west of MORGAN is the crossover just east of Western.   To have an IMD turnback track, it would have to be built just west of Damen, meaning that there would be 2 crossovers between Damen and Western.  Generally.the crossovers are a mile apart and are just east of the stations.  I think Cicero,  Austin,  and Oak Park are the exceptions.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it I’m just saying on top of IMD turnbacks possibly allowing some pressure off the pink line the new turnback might be able to handle 3 trains which could possibly help with the peak of peak hours. If not that then maybe by turning more Forest Park trains at IMD you can keep some space at the Morgan middle to throw in a few more 5000s from 54th since you don’t have so many switching moves to in that area. Might even allow the 5000s to do another round trip before heading back since they could stage at Morgan to avoid interfering with IMD blues. If IMD turnbacks draw most of the boardings to IMD over UIC halsted then the new 54th runs can basically be empty trains for the crowds in the loop while IMD possibly helps the pink line and draws some of the reverse peak crowds.