3200-series - Updates

sw4400

On 10/10/2017 at 8:36 PM, richii0909 said:

The other day I noticed some freshly rehabbed cars on the brown line... one interesting thing was that the trucks were different than the other cars. Those trucks had yellow thing by the rail. It looked like the yellow things would sit perfectly on rail if it kneeled. Anyone know whats up with that

Track brakes. When activated they become magnetized and contact the running rails to aid in braking. Thought I could find a photo to illustrate. 

13 minutes ago, i8itall4u said:

Track brakes. When activated they become magnetized and contact the running rails to aid in braking. Thought I could find a photo to illustrate. 

That's it, but all cars since 1947 had them. Chicago-l.org points out that when the street cars were scrapped to make the 6200 series. "But another possibility existed: stockpile trucks, motors, control equipment, motor-generators, track brakes, seats, light fixtures, and even window frames, sash and sash-lifting mechanisms, build a new body shell and install on it the reconditioned components." (emphasis added)

I guess the only question is why @richii0909  just noticed them.Maybe it was because they are a different color. I suggest that @richii0909 look at other cars and sees functionally the same thing.

The Wabtec page for what they sell is here,although I don't think CTA uses theirs. In Chicago, they are usually used for emergency applications, as dynamic (in this case, since the 3200s don't have regenerative) braking and disc brakes are applied first.

19 hours ago, Busjack said:

It looks like only the bottom half of each seat got the plastic inserts. Is that your impression, and is that typical?

Yeah only the bottom half. I forget did the ends get the whole seat or not. They obviously must have ran out of inserts, and these are temporary placeholders or at least we can hope they are cause it bashes the rehab and makes it look hokey. This is the first car set I've come across like this. This is why I mentioned it and took a photograph because "a picture says a thousand words" :P

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

That's it, but all cars since 1947 had them. Chicago-l.org points out that when the street cars were scrapped to make the 6200 series. "But another possibility existed: stockpile trucks, motors, control equipment, motor-generators, track brakes, seats, light fixtures, and even window frames, sash and sash-lifting mechanisms, build a new body shell and install on it the reconditioned components." (emphasis added)

I guess the only question is why @richii0909  just noticed them.Maybe it was because they are a different color. I suggest that @richii0909 look at other cars and sees functionally the same thing.

The Wabtec page for what they sell is here,although I don't think CTA uses theirs. In Chicago, they are usually used for emergency applications, as dynamic (in this case, since the 3200s don't have regenerative) braking and disc brakes are applied first.

I was on the brown line in the cab car seat facing the end of the line... on curves I noticed the trucks and they looked completely different... there seemed to be a lot going on that was new... I have a not soo good picture I will post

4 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

2A409952-CA34-44DD-A623-200C2C97BD0E.png

Really the only thing out of the ordinary I can see is that the track brake is painted yellow. The only reason I can think of why they would do that is if they were using the paint as a wear marker, like the tail scrape bumpers on some planes, though why they started now is something I don't know. As Busjack said, they are installed on all L cars used today, and older ones too. If you are able to get a better picture of the trucks, that would be a better way to show anything else.

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

If you are able to get a better picture of the trucks, that would be a better way to show anything else.

The picture wasn't that clear to me, either,but it looked more like it had to do with the third rail trolley shoe. Track brake is ahead of that assembly and looks rust brown to me. Again, I'm not sure.

11 hours ago, Busjack said:

The picture wasn't that clear to me, either,but it looked more like it had to do with the third rail trolley shoe. Track brake is ahead of that assembly and looks rust brown to me. Again, I'm not sure.

Yeah. I’ll wait for his response/clarification. From what I saw the track brake didn’t look like it had any sunlight on it, so the yellow might appear brown.

22 hours ago, garmon757 said:

@BusHunter I just upgraded #3249-50 from rehab to full rehab including run number signs effective today. Also, #3257-58 are fully rehabbed.They're still at Skokie Shops while I've seen some pics of them on Facebook.

Ahh tampering with my lists!!! >:( Now I'm going have to rant like Joe Maddon did yesterday because that runner was out. Just Kidding!!

Thanks Garmon I appreciate the help. I've been working alot and am alot of times too busy to update this. This is my passion, public transit, so I won't say I'm leaving the forum and never update this, but if you feel you need to update my lists go ahead, as long as it's correct. I'll be around....

As a moderator though, let me ask you this and you can comment via PM if you wish. This may be more up Kevin or Metroshadow's expertise, but Is there a way you can put like a master roster list that anyone can update that's a member with maybe at least 100 or 1000 posts. Somehow make it so that anything edited shows who edited it. If the editing is wrong, they get blocked from editing for a certain time. You could even make certain forum members have the right to change rosters, kind of like a knights of the round table kind of thing. Make like 10 or 20 of us with the key. This would be great and take the load off me that I'm having difficulty carrying. You would have to be careful with who you trust though as people could just say anything and mess up the list in totality, but showing who did it and making it a bannable offense would police it somewhat. I don't know what do you think? But we know members that have been around are not going to purposefully screw up the list. Like I've been here 9 years if you don't trust me by now who can you trust? I know people like Busjack could help with a Pace roster and some members that list changes have the passion to change CTA rosters. Mechanical lists like this one are more technical, but as long as you guys follow the grid, I trust you. Probably somewhere though we'd need a backup list in case of list tampering. Just a suggestion, I think it would make this forum more attractive and we could feed off each others energy and passion.

FYI Garmon, those trains are not yet in service so you messed up my list!!! ;)>:(

I guess I can't complain too much, some things I might have to just let slide. A master list and a subsidiary list would solve that though, meaning set up a master list, but don't delete my list and leave me the right to change my own list. Then we're all happy. :D:D:D

16 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ahh tampering with my lists!!! >:( Now I'm going have to rant like Joe Maddon did yesterday because that runner was out. Just Kidding!!

Thanks Garmon I appreciate the help. I've been working alot and am alot of times too busy to update this. This is my passion, public transit, so I won't say I'm leaving the forum and never update this, but if you feel you need to update my lists go ahead, as long as it's correct. I'll be around....

As a moderator though, let me ask you this and you can comment via PM if you wish. This may be more up Kevin or Metroshadow's expertise, but Is there a way you can put like a master roster list that anyone can update that's a member with maybe at least 100 or 1000 posts. Somehow make it so that anything edited shows who edited it. If the editing is wrong, they get blocked from editing for a certain time. You could even make certain forum members have the right to change rosters, kind of like a knights of the round table kind of thing. Make like 10 or 20 of us with the key. This would be great and take the load off me that I'm having difficulty carrying. You would have to be careful with who you trust though as people could just say anything and mess up the list in totality, but showing who did it and making it a bannable offense would police it somewhat. I don't know what do you think? But we know members that have been around are not going to purposefully screw up the list. Like I've been here 9 years if you don't trust me by now who can you trust? I know people like Busjack could help with a Pace roster and some members that list changes have the passion to change CTA rosters. Mechanical lists like this one are more technical, but as long as you guys follow the grid, I trust you. Probably somewhere though we'd need a backup list in case of list tampering. Just a suggestion, I think it would make this forum more attractive and we could feed off each others energy and passion.

FYI Garmon, those trains are not yet in service so you messed up my list!!! ;)>:(

I guess I can't complain too much, some things I might have to just let slide. A master list and a subsidiary list would solve that though, meaning set up a master list, but don't delete my list and leave me the right to change my own list. Then we're all happy. :D:D:D

You would pull the Maddon on me! xD Unfortunately, only the moderators can edit any post but if you want, ask Kevin is there's any alternatives that can work with certain members making and editing the rosters. Also, if you want to continue with your rosters by editing yourself then that's perfectly fine while I respect your wishes. 

On 10/18/2017 at 11:43 AM, BusHunter said:

#3333-34 has been there a couple weeks with atc issues. Its parked by the shop unconnected.

It's now back connected while coupled with six other cars. Also, #3403-04 is now a full rehab along with LED run number sign. #3227-28 and #3315-16 are not a full rehab because it doesn't have the LED run number sign yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...