3200-series - Updates

sw4400

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Rumor has it when 3200 rehab job done, 100 will go to Blue Line, with displaced 2600's to Brown and Orange. Good part of Brown fleet is run rush only, while Blue has no "modern" cars at all. Makes sense if this happens.

Might as well send them all to the Blue Line.  The Orange Line is virtually all 2600s now with some 3200s mixed in during rush periods.    I suppose Blue Line operators will have to (re)qualify to operate the 3200s and Brown Line operators on the 2600s.

8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Rumor has it when 3200 rehab job done, 100 will go to Blue Line, with displaced 2600's to Brown and Orange. Good part of Brown fleet is run rush only, while Blue has no "modern" cars at all. Makes sense if this happens.

The blue line could use something. I was driving down the Kennedy and saw one pack of trains today and saw a different pack of trains bunched up on the ike.  3 on the ike 4 on the ohare branch. You know I saw this last night too at addison/blue, just two trains but they were standing as close as the atc would let them.

What ever happened with the 100 rehabbed 2600s. They need to get some more digital signs for some of the 2600s. This bites the blue line has no led signs most standard signs aren't even backlit anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Pink Jazz said:

If Blue does get 3200s, I expect perhaps that Orange will be all 2600s while Blue and Brown will operate a mix of 2600s and 3200s.

If this happens, it then depends on what CTA intends regarding the replacement schedule. I could see it happening based on that CTA has to get its money's worth off the cost of rehabilitating the cars, but then either 3200s would have to be moved back to Orange, or Blue, which theoretically should have gotten new cars in 2010, won't until around 2023.

The other oddity is that the Orange Line would be the only one, at least in modern history, that would end up with older equipment than it had when it first started.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

That is incorrect. You have to learn all railcar series in motor school.

That part is true.  But if you haven't  operated a type of railcar for an extended period of time, you certainly should get refreshed on that series again. Obviously that won't  apply to every single person but certainly some.

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

That is incorrect. You have to learn all railcar series in motor school.

10 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That part is true.  But if you haven't  operated a type of railcar for an extended period of time, you certainly should get refreshed on that series again. Obviously that won't  apply to every single person but certainly some.

Garmon can tell us better, but a 3200 isn't that much different from a 2600. Now, the 5000s are.

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The 3200s are Cineston control cars.  Currently the only ones in the fleet. 

But I bet that isn't as big of a deal as compared to that the 5000s have regenerative braking and there were reports in the early days that they stopped short of the platform.

Obviously, the 2600s and 3200s work fine on the Orange Line together.

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But I bet that isn't as big of a deal as compared to that the 5000s have regenerative braking and there were reports in the early days that they stopped short of the platform.

Obviously, the 2600s and 3200s work fine on the Orange Line together.

The cars can be coupled together but that doesn't change the fact that the  controls are different. .  Orange  Line operators operator daily. A Blue Line operator may not have unless he is an extra board operator or a recent transfer from the Orangeor BrownLines. 

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

11 hours ago, Busjack said:

Garmon can tell us better, but a 3200 isn't that much different from a 2600. Now, the 5000s are.

The only time you have to requalify as a motorman is when you're out of service for over 1-3 months. Now I don't know what's going to happen when the 7000s arrive but I'm not getting any help with any information from the rail supervisors, managers, and instructers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

The only time you have to requalify as a motorman is when you're out of service for over 1-3 months. Now I don't know what's going to happen when the 7000s arrive but I'm not getting any help with any information from the rail supervisors, managers, and instructers. 

Thanks.

On you latter point, I doubt they are planning 2 years in advance on something nobody has seen yet.