Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

Ventra to launch in August for Chicago Card Plus users and select other groups. Full roll out in September.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3183

The interesting thing there (other than the transition schedule) is that the Press Release indicates that passengers will be able to transfer balances from old media to Ventra, but doesn't say how.

The interesting thing there (other than the transition schedule) is that the Press Release indicates that passengers will be able to transfer balances from old media to Ventra, but doesn't say how.

Apparently that will get explained as the time approaches for each targeted group to be transitioned. But it still makes for a good question when the Ventra buses roll out to spread the word on Ventra.

Apparently that will get explained as the time approaches for each targeted group to be transitioned. But it still makes for a good question when the Ventra buses roll out to spread the word on Ventra.

The other question being hashed out on the CTA Tattler is how the Transit Benefit Program is supposed to work, other than it will be on an RFID card.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so now i wait for Mine!!!!!!!!!!! Can't Wait to see how Ventra is recited by Riders, was there an official date where Ventra can be used? Might as well start the transition now instead of Spring 2014

Is it being accepted by MCTS, since you have posted that you live near its routes?

Now, can anyone get the number for the "retirement date" thread? :rolleyes::lol:

Looks like 516.

I wonder why they left the fleet number on it. I don't think it's retired, just repurposed as Kevin stated. It still has a farebox, but that may be for Ventra demonstration purposes. However it's life as a CTA revenue vehicle is probably over even if it's not official. It all depends on if the Novas get retired before the Opus'. If the Opus' hang around until the end of the Nova #6400's, #516 may actually go back in service.

... It still has a farebox, but that may be for Ventra demonstration purposes....

The determinant may be whether it still has its seats, which certainly would be an obstruction to those trying to circulate in it to see the displays.

As far as leaving the fleet number, looking at the picture in the tweet indicates that they just didn't wrap the front.

BTW, Pace has posted a schedule of Ventra outreach meetings.

The determinant may be whether it still has its seats, which certainly would be an obstruction to those trying to circulate in it to see the displays.

As far as leaving the fleet number, looking at the picture in the tweet indicates that they just didn't wrap the front.

BTW, Pace has posted a schedule of Ventra outreach meetings.

How is Pace going to demonstrate, with a portable farebox? As far as #516, most of the seats in the front half of the bus lift for handicap access. They could probably get away with not removing the seats. There probably not using the back half of the bus. Leaving the fleet number to me indicates the bus has a chance to be back in service. It all depends on how long they are going to do the Ventra campaign.

How is Pace going to demonstrate, with a portable farebox? As far as #516, most of the seats in the front half of the bus lift for handicap access. They could probably get away with not removing the seats. There probably not using the back half of the bus. Leaving the fleet number to me indicates the bus has a chance to be back in service. It all depends on how long they are going to do the Ventra campaign.

Whatever indication of the scope of the meeting is in the Press Release. Probably stuff like "where can you get a card in Homewood?"

Theoretically, the fare box shouldn't be necessary, because Ventra users aren't going to be using it. If there needs to be a demonstration, it would be of the reader mounted to the handrail, but Pace indicated earlier that they could do that with a cell phone (in connection with reading cards on a paratransit vehicle).

BTW, has anyone gone to The Taste to see what is in the bus?

Whatever indication of the scope of the meeting is in the Press Release. Probably stuff like "where can you get a card in Homewood?"

Theoretically, the fare box shouldn't be necessary, because Ventra users aren't going to be using it. If there needs to be a demonstration, it would be of the reader mounted to the handrail, but Pace indicated earlier that they could do that with a cell phone (in connection with reading cards on a paratransit vehicle).

It all depends on where Ventra shows the rider how much money is left on the card/time until a pass expires. That is currently done on a display on the farebox. Although Ventra might show it on it's own display. All that needs to be in #516 is a Ventra machine and reader.

Moving Forward (Pace's newsletter) just suggested: "Heading downtown for the Taste of Chicago this weekend? Stop by the Ventra bus at the Jackson and Michigan entrance to meet Ventra representatives who can answer questions and provide details about the system and transition."

Seating between the front and back doors has been removed. There are posters positioned in the open space. There is a table across the aisle by the back door for literature. The seating behind the back door is still intact and is used to store boxed of literature. Ventra personnel also had on display sample cards and tickets.

Mel

• Upvote 1

Any word on what is going on to replace the circuitbreaker passes? From what I understand, the State of Illinois is making changes to the program, by eliminating the old program and replacing it with a new one. Beyond that, I have no idea what is going on.

I have a circuitbreaker card and even I have no idea what they will do with these.

Any word on what is going on to replace the circuitbreaker passes? From what I understand, the State of Illinois is making changes to the program, by eliminating the old program and replacing it with a new one. Beyond that, I have no idea what is going on.

I have a circuitbreaker card and even I have no idea what they will do with these.

Apparently it is the RTA's responsibility.

They have mentioned seniors' cards, but not circuit breakers for the rest of the people. Maybe you should contact the RTA, like they would know anything.

..Maybe you should contact the RTA, like they would know anything.

Which is precisely why I have not so far. RTA's (Mis)information center is pretty much worthless.

Onetime a passenger who got on the 565 Grand bus at Washington/Sheridan (Where most routes terminate), said when he asked the RTA travel center of how to get from Washington/Sheridan to Grand and McAree, they suggested boarding the 2 PM 562, transfer at Grand and Jackson to the 565. Uh, why not just board the Grand bus at 2 PM then?

Yes, they can be that dumb.

Which is precisely why I have not so far. RTA's (Mis)information center is pretty much worthless.

Onetime a passenger who got on the 565 Grand bus at Washington/Sheridan (Where most routes terminate), said when he asked the RTA travel center of how to get from Washington/Sheridan to Grand and McAree, they suggested boarding the 2 PM 562, transfer at Grand and Jackson to the 565. Uh, why not just board the Grand bus at 2 PM then?

Yes, they can be that dumb.

On that point, the travel center is using the stupid goRoo trip planner. GiGo.

On the other hand, there should be someone in the office who doesn't have a disqualifying interest who is administering the plan. I admit, though, that that is a stretch.

Also, I don't know if the RTA's reduced fare program page helps you or not.

On that point, the travel center is using the stupid goRoo trip planner. GiGo.

On the other hand, there should be someone in the office who doesn't have a disqualifying interest who is administering the plan. I admit, though, that that is a stretch.

Also, I don't know if the RTA's reduced fare program page helps you or not.

The so called RTA travel center is actually a telemarketing firm contracted by the RTA. I once visited a couple of companies that had the contracts. I don't remember the names of the firms, but one used to be at 181 W Madison, and the other one was located at Lake Lasallle IIRC. The chances of finding a knowledgeable transit person there is slim to none

Back to the topic, the RTA says it will be at the Pace Ventra outreach meetings. The one in your neighborhood is:

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Lake County

Waukegan Public Library
Bradbury Room (lower level)

128 N. County Street

Waukegan, IL 60085