Your New Blue - O'Hare Branch Rehab

BusHunter

So is Addison the only one with room to accommodate installation of an elevator?

BTW, why won't Belmont get rehabbed as part of the project? Anybody know? Because on this link under Station Work, project scopes are listed for every station except for Belmont.http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/projects/ynb_improvements.aspx#sta

Because they claim that is the cheapest elevator station upgrade on the O'Hare blue line. I think it has more to do with Wrigley Field. I was looking at Montrose that station would appear to have the cheapest elevator retrofit as you could stick it between the escalator and stairs with hardly any excavation needed. Addison is no doubt going to need holes cut in the canopy like the Dan Ryan stations did. Belmont Afaik, is not scheduled to receive upgrades. Go figure as it has an all night bus on it and a cross street. So I wonder what's next after Damen. Division?
  • Upvote 2

Because they claim that is the cheapest elevator station upgrade on the O'Hare blue line. I think it has more to do with Wrigley Field. I was looking at Montrose that station would appear to have the cheapest elevator retrofit as you could stick it between the escalator and stairs with hardly any excavation needed. Addison is no doubt going to need holes cut in the canopy like the Dan Ryan stations did. Belmont Afaik, is not scheduled to receive upgrades. Go figure as it has an all night bus on it and a cross street. So I wonder what's next after Damen. Division?

Division would be a good fit for an elevator.

• Upvote 1

Basically, if California is any guide, it is only a cheap redecorating job. Probably any work on a subway station is a $10-20 million dollar job. Compare the work at Harrison, which was certainly not up to the standards at Grand, Chicago, or Clark and Division.

It's mind boggling why they just didn't put elevators at California. They have tons of space and they are mostly done with the red line subway and Dan Ryan. Damen they don't really have the space and would either have to demolish buildings or build an elevator inside a building, but man is that stop busy. Heard they are not only beefing up the #56 but morning #70's.

It's mind boggling why they just didn't put elevators at California. They have tons of space and they are mostly done with the red line subway and Dan Ryan. Damen they don't really have the space and would either have to demolish buildings or build an elevator inside a building, but man is that stop busy. Heard they are not only beefing up the #56 but morning #70's.

Maybe this goes under the Metra fare hike for capital thread, but since there is the continuous "why didn't they do this, why didn't they do that" in this thread, and I commented on this being a cheap redecorating job, there is actually a TV show that celebrates this kind of redecorating, called "Knock it Off" on channel 7.2.

Last night's episode was that Matt and Linda wanted their kitchen remodeled for $1200.So, instead of getting granite countertops, the decorators paint the countertops black. Instead of getting slate floor tiles, they get peel and stick.

My reaction: Matt and Linda better hope that lasts until they can afford to do it right, because the paint and tiles are going to peel.

Now, does this sound any different than the rotten wood installed in the Brown Line project, or in fact what was done to the California station in this project, and what will be done to the stations other than Addison?

The only difference is that instead of being on some digital subchannel, the city posted a campaign video for Durbin. Someone was impressed, but I wasn't.

If it's any consolation Damen was in need of a redecking. The wood was warping and weakening in spots but not as bad as Wilson red line was before it's outer portions were redecked. Basically it looks like all they did with the California stairs was paint them. The station is basically the same. I don't know how that could cost millions but construction crews are not cheap as the materials shouldn't even be 1 million dollars.

If it's any consolation Damen was in need of a redecking. The wood was warping and weakening in spots but not as bad as Wilson red line was before it's outer portions were redecked. Basically it looks like all they did with the California stairs was paint them. The station is basically the same. I don't know how that could cost millions but construction crews are not cheap as the materials shouldn't even be 1 million dollars.

The question of the hour is, have you been to California, because that station looks like a completely different animal that it did 7 weeks ago, regardless if an elevator is there or not, the station looks great for what funds the CTA had to do the rehab

The question of the hour is, have you been to California, because that station looks like a completely different animal that it did 7 weeks ago, regardless if an elevator is there or not, the station looks great for what funds the CTA had to do the rehab

But only in the sense that Monica's and Jess's projects do. Read post #154.

Besides the view of someone's home improvement project, the question is did one actually physically go out to witness the station before assessing a conclusion or preformed a key stroke to observe photos and draw a conclusion from there

You tell us. Is there an elevator? Are there concrete platforms? Were the platforms extended? Do the clearances meet ADA standards? Did it get any of the work that the Red Line South stations did? Or even the Red Line north of Wilson stations? Or did it just get some planking and paint?

You are talking like Helmut Jahn recreated the O'Hare station there. Did he?

You tell us. Is there an elevator? Are there concrete platforms? Were the platforms extended? Do the clearances meet ADA standards? Did it get any of the work that the Red Line South stations did? Or even the Red Line north of Wilson stations? Or did it just get some planking and paint?

Did you visit California, that's the million dollar question?

Concrete Platforms? No. The original concept for the Brown line rehab years ago had concrete platforms, then it was made known that the existing stucture couldn't hold the additional weight for concrete, so the plans showed wood. Then the type of wood was changed from a type that would last longer to a type the met the City of Chicago's fire code, but wouldn't and subsequently didn't hold up to weathering.

At least CTA and Chicago came up on a compromise with more durable/treated differently wood for these original elevated stations both when the brown line had to get wood decking redone, for these blue line stations being rehabbed now, and for (at least part of) Lawrence on the Red line that was recently rehabbed. The stations that include part of Lawrence and north got concrete because they are currently on an embankment that can support it and not one of the early elevated structures like the blue line section along Milwaukee.

My guess is there was a more severe liability issue with platforms at Wilson than the other liabilities there, and that's why there was at least some platform work done before the start of the ongoing Wilson station rebuild.

Frankly, if the comment of these blue line station rehabs having the ability for an elevator in the future is true, (I only say that because I haven't seen the plans or any release stating this explicitly), then it shows at least some realism that these stations are both not getting a complete rebuild anytime in the near future and that the need for elevators are also recognized.

My latest video of Damen/Blue line reconstruction is below. They completely tore out the curved section of platform up by North Avenue and appear to be stripping the railings and canopy. Looks like this weekend they might take the decking down from over Damen as it looks to be prepped for that. They have these metal cables bolted to the platform is that some kind of safety wire in case they should fall off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtP9SKgUxc

• Upvote 2

My latest video of Damen/Blue line reconstruction is below. They completely tore out the curved section of platform up by North Avenue and appear to be stripping the railings and canopy. Looks like this weekend they might take the decking down from over Damen as it looks to be prepped for that. They have these metal cables bolted to the platform is that some kind of safety wire in case they should fall off?

Well damn, you already beat me by uploading your video. I did some recording earlier around 11 AM.

• Upvote 1

Ouch!! Just read the Green line Cermak/McCormick Place station on the Green line will have two elevators one on each end of the platform. And they can't put one elevator more on this Blue line project. Now isn't that something!! They think they are going to have that much traffic at this Green line stop? I just don't get it, it's not downtown and most conventioneers are too wealthy to ride CTA. Seems like this stop is over budgeted.

Ouch!! Just read the Green line Cermak/McCormick Place station on the Green line will have two elevators one on each end of the platform. And they can't put one elevator more on this Blue line project. Now isn't that something!! They think they are going to have that much traffic at this Green line stop? I just don't get it, it's not downtown and most conventioneers are too wealthy to ride CTA. Seems like this stop is over budgeted.

That's a crying shame, but then again, installing elevators at certain Blue Line stops would mean closure/removal of shops and restaurants.

Apparently Rahm has enough TIFmoney on whatever block it is on. Remember, it is a CDOT project, not CTA.

Bottom line is there will be 3 elevators now within two blocks of each other where riders on the NW side may have to travel as much as 3 miles for an accessible station and that's from a blue line stop. Riders west of there could travel 5-6 miles!! They don't have two elevators at 95th/Dan Ryan right? Now I would understand that more than this.

• 3 weeks later...

I was shocked to see they are putting up the lighted CTA signs on the Blue line Milwaukee elevated. I thought the Red line only gets these perks. :P Below is a picture of the one at Western, they are starting to do work there at the street level. (east side sidewalk has protective scaffolding on it) I wonder if they are going to put the fancy CTA logo signs on the Kennedy branch like they did the Ryan. The Ryan does look good.

post-304-0-55689900-1415772639_thumb.png

Something I was thinking of tonight as I was freezing my tail off is why don't they put doors at all the Jefferson Park era stations so if someone wanted to wait for a bus they wouldn't be exposed to the wind. Weird they don't have any. (just Irving Park) Did the original designer not believe in doors? :lol:

I was shocked to see they are putting up the lighted CTA signs on the Blue line Milwaukee elevated. I thought the Red line only gets these perks. :P Below is a picture of the one at Western, they are starting to do work there at the street level. (east side sidewalk has protective scaffolding on it) I wonder if they are going to put the fancy CTA logo signs on the Kennedy branch like they did the Ryan. The Ryan does look good.

attachicon.gifcta light up sign western blue line.PNG

Something I was thinking of tonight as I was freezing my tail off is why don't they put doors at all the Jefferson Park era stations so if someone wanted to wait for a bus they wouldn't be exposed to the wind. Weird they don't have any. (just Irving Park) Did the original designer not believe in doors? :lol:

Seems to becoming a CTA Hallmark along the elevated line lines, very nice concept, hope it surely expands to the rest of the elevated lines

post-1441-0-97822600-1415778771_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifcta light up sign western blue line.PNG

I just passed this station 25 minutes ago, and I didn't see it.

Remember most of the rebuilt and new Green line stations already have two elevators on each side

(except the island 35th,Cicero, and Harlem platforms). I agree and wish the Blue line had elevators at all stations especially since it serves a major airport. Unfortunately CTA is not doing a full scale rebuild of the stations like previous lines so comparing the Blue line to the Green or Red is not fair. I would compare

it to the station renovations of the north Red line where it only extended the life.

I just passed this station 25 minutes ago, and I didn't see it.

It's above the center of Western Av on the NB side. Don't know if there's a SB side one yet. I was at California/Milwaukee and it looks like it will be difficult to put one there as both the NB and SB side has huge billboards covering the steel area. On a sidenote, I was noticing the red bricks to the California station house are having a ghosting effect, which is like a powdery like whiteness emanating from the brick. I've seen this before and don't know the cause, maybe it's the quality of the bricks? They still have workers here and they installed a Titan Media sign right before the exit rotogate on the Nb street side, which I don't understand why they would put that there as you are leaving the station. They should have put it front and center at the bottom of the staircases.