Your New Blue - O'Hare Branch Rehab

BusHunter

They are putting the ornamental historic lamp shades up now on the NB Cali platform. They have the electric wires all hanging out of them. Soon they should have some working lights.

They have the electricians out there tonight working on the lights. They now have about 1/3 of the platform lights working and yes the lights inside the lamp shades are LED. Looks funny I feel like I should be looking at incadecent lights. But the lights are almost flush with the bottom of the shade. They are different than the damen ones which resemble a light bulb.

I just saw a crane, a solar panel, and about 6-10 workers over at Damen/Milwaukee.

They were shooting a movie/tv series over there last night. They had a crane holding a huge yellow spot light suspended in mid air over damen about 2-3 stories up and the whole block was littered with movie trailers. I didn't see any construction workers but man that is going to be a pain to rebuild. California looks so much easier.

• Upvote 2

Well here's my fifth week installment of the California Blue line reconstruction. This week we get to see the ornamental lamp shades they just put up along with the tactile edging they put in last night. They have also put up a few windbreaks/shelters and a few cameras. Tonight I went by there and they have installed the SB California signs on the platform. They are starting to gather equipment for the Damen reconstruction. They have a dumpster and three or four cherry pickers already on site just south of North avenue at a lot they've most likely leased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwdc7-g5EY0&feature=youtu.be

Well here's my fifth week installment of the California Blue line reconstruction. This week we get to see the ornamental lamp shades they just put up along with the tactile edging they put in last night. They have also put up a few windbreaks/shelters and a few cameras. Tonight I went by there and they have installed the SB California signs on the platform. They are starting to gather equipment for the Damen reconstruction. They have a dumpster and three or four cherry pickers already on site just south of North avenue at a lot they've most likely leased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwdc7-g5EY0&feature=youtu.be

Good job they've done. It looks nice. :-)

Really? I was just there and I didn't see anybody working over there.

That was on Sunday around 2PM, you could smell the fresh paint. (Dead giveaway) I don't know if you've been over at Damen in the last two days but starting 10/13 they closed the North Avenue exit and are stripping that part of the platform already. No one can access the part of the platform where it curves and goes over North Av. They are met with a platform closed sign. They wouldn't possibly be phasing that exit out. could they?

Shot's from Saturday night at California. Tomorrow is the BIG DAY, CAN'T WAIT. Plus, here's a final shot of the Damen Station before the closure

P.S. Never be afraid to ask for shot's, crew members will allow the public to see the progress of the projects that occur from a safe distance

post-1441-0-73179000-1413406719_thumb.jp

post-1441-0-09644100-1413406735_thumb.jp

post-1441-0-06214700-1413406750_thumb.jp

post-1441-0-33799300-1413406884_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Shot's from Saturday night at California. Tomorrow is the BIG DAY, CAN'T WAIT. Plus, here's a final shot of the Damen Station before the closure

P.S. Never be afraid to ask for shot's, crew members will allow the public to see the progress of the projects that occur from a safe distance

Looks like the point was not to do much to the traditional Met station appearance.

That was on Sunday around 2PM, you could smell the fresh paint. (Dead giveaway) I don't know if you've been over at Damen in the last two days but starting 10/13 they closed the North Avenue exit and are stripping that part of the platform already. No one can access the part of the platform where it curves and goes over North Av. They are met with a platform closed sign. They wouldn't possibly be phasing that exit out. could they?

Being that I was at Damen/Milwaukee Blue line I snapped off this shot of the platform closure. I noticed today all the lamp poles were gone on that section and the rotogates gone.

post-304-0-83070900-1413433935_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

They were shooting a movie/tv series over there last night. They had a crane holding a huge yellow spot light suspended in mid air over damen about 2-3 stories up and the whole block was littered with movie trailers. I didn't see any construction workers but man that is going to be a pain to rebuild. California looks so much easier.

From what I know that Damen/ Milwaukee needs to be accessible as being one of most Popular areas (Wicker Park), but it's no room to install an Elevator at, so that's why they aren't putting one there.

From what I know that Damen/ Milwaukee needs to be accessible as being one of most Popular areas (Wicker Park), but it's no room to install an Elevator at, so that's why they aren't putting one there.

So is Addison the only one with room to accommodate installation of an elevator?

BTW, why won't Belmont get rehabbed as part of the project? Anybody know? Because on this link under Station Work, project scopes are listed for every station except for Belmont.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/projects/ynb_improvements.aspx#sta

The rehab for Damen and the recently rehabbed California stations are receiving prep work for elevators, so when funding does become available, the stations will be ready to receive them. I think that's the most misconstrued notion that the CTA has falled to address during these station rehabs. The California Station pretty much gives you a preview of what will occur during the Damen rehab, which is a larger, modern station with historical features.

So is Addison the only one with room to accommodate installation of an elevator?

BTW, why won't Belmont get rehabbed as part of the project? Anybody know? Because on this link under Station Work, project scopes are listed for every station except for Belmont.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/projects/ynb_improvements.aspx#sta

Basically, if California is any guide, it is only a cheap redecorating job. Probably any work on a subway station is a $10-20 million dollar job. Compare the work at Harrison, which was certainly not up to the standards at Grand, Chicago, or Clark and Division.

• Upvote 2

Basically, if California is any guide, it is only a cheap redecorating job. Probably any work on a subway station is a $10-20 million dollar job. Compare the work at Harrison, which was certainly not up to the standards at Grand, Chicago, or Clark and Division.

Call it a cheap redecorating job if you want, this is a vast improvement of what was being used 6 weeks ago, good job CTA.

Call it a cheap redecorating job if you want, this is a vast improvement of what was being used 6 weeks ago, good job CTA.

Yes, they are doing a good job of the modernization. However, I certainly do wish they were gonna put elevators at Division, because that would be especially useful for preparation of the future Ashland BRT connection.