7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Possibly a sign that eventually 8200-8249 will get cloth inserts in the future... we'll have to wait and see.

All that it would take is changing the inserts, not the shells. The strange thing here is that the shell is gray, not blue, so something else happened here. Compare to the usual Freedman Gemini seats on CTA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

Board to consider "Option 2" tomorrow for additional buses. This should be for 25 more buses. 

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/agendas_minutes/Oct2017_-_FAB_Web_Agenda.pdf

To wait over a year to vote on approving 25 40' buses is completely stupid. That would be like CTA ordered 6400-6859 and decided to get 6860-6883 in late 2003 for 2004 instead of 2002. Personally, I hope it's dropped. If it was 100 buses, it would be prudent, otherwise it's a waste of taxpayer money.

6 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I think that this purchase has been planned for a while, the timing is probably due to funding flows and retirement schedules. 

It was in both the 2016 and 2017 budgets, and nothing happened. Even if the procurement were posted tomorrow, nothing would be received until 2019.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, Busjack said:

It was in both the 2016 and 2017 budgets, and nothing happened. Even if the procurement were posted tomorrow, nothing would be received until 2019.

I'm guessing this would have to do with getting CTA added to the existing production schedule amidst the other TAs that would be on NOVA Bus's schedule since this being an option, they would not have to go through the contract bid phase of the the procurement process. 

On 10/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, BusHunter said:

Perhaps the electric bus procurement is delayed. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

I'm guessing this would have to do with getting CTA added to the existing production schedule amidst the other TAs that would be on NOVA Bus's schedule since this being an option, they would not have to go through the contract bid phase of the the procurement process. 

I'm presuming that the antecedent is "electric bus," in which the existing contract with Nova is irrelevant. You might be referring to the Nova contract being for 450 buses and only 425 ordered, and while it was indicated in the 2016 budget that CTA might order those buses, it was not indicated in the 2017 budget.Clearly, any electric bus would have to go through the procurement process.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER. Something just happened.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm presuming that the antecedent is "electric bus," in which the existing contract with Nova is irrelevant. You might be referring to the Nova contract being for 450 buses and only 425 ordered, and while it was indicated in the 2016 budget that CTA might order those buses, it was not indicated in the 2017 budget.Clearly, any electric bus would have to go through the procurement process.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER. Something just happened.

Ah I see where we're getting our wires crossed. Tcmetro's post above that this present string of responses revolve around appeared to be speaking of the option for the up to 25 extra buses that would bring the 7900s roster up to 8349 from the present last bus 8324. The electric buses were only mentioned as far as their possibly being delayed to answer the immediate unspoken question of why the CTA board now has those last 25 Novas on its present agenda for consideration. In that case it shouldn't take until 2019 to get them since we'd still be talking about the current Nova contract and not the yet to be bidded and awarded electric bus contract as you were thinking.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

since we'd still be talking about the current Nova contract

Going back, the contract was awarded in Jan. 2013, so, theoretically the 5 years to exercise that option hasn't expired yet. However, unlike Pace, it appears to take CT Board approval to exercise an option, which hasn't been put on the board agenda yet. Thus, while it is theoretically possible, the advertisement for the electric buses indicates that CTA is going in a different direction. Maybe the 2018 budget will shed some light on this.

Update: In light of @Tcmetro's post below and that it was on the Oct 11 agenda, I must have missed it.*

______

*Being out of town, I guess.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Going back, the contract was awarded in Jan. 2013, so, theoretically the 5 years to exercise that option hasn't expired yet. However, unlike Pace, it appears to take CT Board approval to exercise an option, which hasn't been put on the board agenda yet. Thus, while it is theoretically possible, the advertisement for the electric buses indicates that CTA is going in a different direction. Maybe the 2018 budget will shed some light on this.

Update: In light of @Tcmetro's post below and that it was on the Oct 11 agenda, I must have missed it.*

______

*Being out of town, I guess.

Yeah CTA is waiting for the latest possible moment to buy those 25 buses from Nova. I have said and I still say it had budget problems cause the electrics are expensive, they are the Rolls Royce of buses. 25 buses is at least 30-35 million. 25 buses from nova are probably 15-20 million. Now they will have buses that are newer than 90 percent of that fleet. If they are retired together they are wasting money there. Let's just hope the electrics don't go up in smoke literally. They had two buses, one caught on fire, now they have a 1500 percent increase that it might happen again. (Due to the 15X multiplication of the electric fleet) CTA needs to think this through and maybe if it's built right they'll be OK, but a million dollars is alot of kindling. xD

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah CTA is waiting for the latest possible moment to buy those 25 buses from Nova.

The confluence of the two developments (ordering the 25 buses and putting out the request for the electric buses) only indicates to me that CTA finally decided to go ahead on what they said about 18 months ago. What delayed them, I don't know, unless it was to be either the diesels or electrics, but it turned out to be both.

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I have said and I still say it had budget problems cause the electrics are expensive

Not wholly relevant, as the CMAQ grant pays the difference between the cost of a diesel and an electric bus. Again, why CTA waited 18 months or so to act on the CMAQ grant, I don't know, but obviously the CMAQ grant was for a specific purpose, and this became a use it or lose it situation.

20 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah CTA is waiting for the latest possible moment to buy those 25 buses from Nova.

One thing illustrated here is the cost of waiting, due to the price escalator in the contract. The Novas were originally $488K each. Taking the number in the press release ($14 million), these come to $560K/bus.

39 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

You think it would be the new LFSe, LFS HEV or LFS Artic? 

The same thing as the previous 425 buses. It is the same contract, the procurement for artics went nowhere, and the press release said clean diesel.