If I ran Transit for one day...

They didn't have the money in 1995, and there is no evidence that people would rather transfer from the Western bus at Lake than at Armitage (Blue Line).

Otherwise, do you have passenger studies showing demand or a passenger generator near that corner not being served, or, like your RPM post, you are offended by lack of a station every quarter mile?

Well, I'm not offended by anything, I just have opinions for stations to be located at the busy streets, usually half a mile apart, so that they're not to close or far from each other.

Well, I'm not offended by anything, I just have opinions for stations to be located at the busy streets, usually half a mile apart, so that they're not to close or far from each other.

But unless there is a traffic generator there (and you claimed it would increase ridership, which implies not taking it from another line, it would have to have a traffic generator), again there is no point.

Morgan was justified by being near the Randolph and Fulton Markets, and whatever developed around Harpo Studios. There was not a demand that it should be on Halsted instead of Morgan.

I think you like attention. Is that why you post these crazy ideas?

If I am not mistaken, CTA stations at Western and Damen were closed years ago due to lack of ridership. Those who live along those streets have east west options downtown via Jackson (126), Madison (20), Grand (65), and Chicago (66). At North Ave (Damen) and Armitage (western) you have the Blue Line (O'Hare branch), so there is no reason for anyone to ride a bus to transfer to the Green Line when these are one seat ride options going downtown.

As for Kostner, there really isn't a population base to support a Kostner station. The only business over there may be the beer distributor once owned by one of Jesse Jackson's sons, but not anything worthy of building a station.

It's not the attention I post for, I just get ideas that I think would make sense.

But unless there is a traffic generator there (and you claimed it would increase ridership, which implies not taking it from another line, it would have to have a traffic generator), again there is no point.

Morgan was justified by being near the Randolph and Fulton Markets, and whatever developed around Harpo Studios. There was not a demand that it should be on Halsted instead of Morgan.

The only passenger generator at Lake/Western was when Allied Radio was there.

But now the building is a state run youth prison & not too many people are going there daily.

So should the 8 Halsted buses be somehow rerouted to serve the Morgan station and give it more daily boardings?

So should the 8 Halsted buses be somehow rerouted to serve the Morgan station and give it more daily boardings?

You're kidding me right? It's only two blocks away though and I don't think anybody complaining about it either. What's next? Rerouting #8 to Ogilvie/Union Stations???
  • Upvote 1

No. The 20 is a couple of streets south and the Blue Line Grand/Milwaukee station is 1/2 mile north of Lake St.

Years ago there was a Halsted station on the Lake St line. When CTA had skip stop service, Halsted was a B station, Ashland was an A station, Calfiornia was a B stop and Kedzie was an A stop. Homan and everything west of there were AB stations. At that time, those stations east of Homan didn't justify AB service. After the Lake/Dan Ryan and Englewood/Jackson Pk/Howard lines flipped south ends (Lake/Englewood/Jackson Pk and Howard/Dan Ryan) in 1993, all of the south stations and west side stations became all stop. Then in 1994 the Green Line was shut down for two years while the line including stations were rebuilt. While the south end lost Racine, Harvard, Wentworth, and 58th st, the west side lost Homan and Halsted, with Conservatory Central Park being built in Homan's stead, and eventually Morgan was built.

Notice with Homan, the 82 was not rerouted to Central Park DRive, but instead the Homan entrance to the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line was made accessible and reopened. Thus that station was renamed Kedzie/Homan.

• Upvote 4

You're kidding me right? It's only two blocks away though and I don't think anybody complaining about it either. What's next? Rerouting #8 to Ogilvie/Union Stations???

Bring back the 42 Halsted-Downtown. :P However, it took about 6 years after the Orange Line opened to kill it finally.

• Upvote 2

Well, this idea is just like why in 2010 Library-State/VanBuren was renamed Harold Washington Library-State/VanBuren.

In the case of tweaking the name of the station at State/Van Buren, if I remember correctly that was more from a push for CTA to honor Harold Washington in some way during the 30th anniversary of his election as Chicago's first Black mayor (note the timing of the name change came was in fact during the 30th anniversary year of that historic election in the city's history) than it was to fix any confusion since practically everyone in the city knows that the "Library" referred in the original "Library-State/Van Buren" name is Harold Washington Library since it's sitting right next to the station. The original push was for CTA to honor the late mayor by renaming one of its other stations after him. But as I noted, CTA realized it already had the Library-State/Van Buren station sitting next to Harold Washington Library and thus resolved the push for a station named in his honor by changing the Library part of that station's name to include the full name of the city's main library. I'm inclined to agree with Art that you're either posting these ideas off the top of your head or reaching for attention in posting them.

• Upvote 1

Well people like to have their bus-train transfers right at the stations, and I don't think it's worth rerouting the 8 to Ogilvie because that's by the Clinton station.

Yeah I think they would make sense to them

Yeah, I'm sure that's why none of these was implemented as part of the Crowd Reduction Plan.

I've commented before about Claypool's lack of qualifications. Where did you get your degree in transit planning? Maybe you can get the millions that the consultants have been sucking up.

And, of course, Emanuel and Claypool have no authority over where Pace bus 290 goes.

• Upvote 2

Well people like to have their bus-train transfers right at the stations, and I don't think it's worth rerouting the 8 to Ogilvie because that's by the Clinton station.

But is it really worth rerouting a bus line to a smaller street just for a train station that's two blocks away? I'm sure there are people who walk more at Ogilvie and Union Stations because of Metra train lengths and the exits they need to go to. If not, it's certainly still a comparable distance.

From personal experience, the area around the Morgan Station can be a mess. It's just a 4-way stop at the intersection where the station house is. Not to mention the station house might block views of oncoming cars.

• Upvote 1

But is it really worth rerouting a bus line to a smaller street just for a train station that's two blocks away? I'm sure there are people who walk more at Ogilvie and Union Stations because of Metra train lengths and the exits they need to go to. If not, it's certainly still a comparable distance.

From personal experience, the area around the Morgan Station can be a mess. It's just a 4-way stop at the intersection where the station house is. Not to mention the station house might block views of oncoming cars.

Well, maybe it's not worth rerouting the buses because there's UIC-Halsted on the Blue Line.

You forgot that Clinton Station is walking distance to both Metra stations too. Dang man, UIC-Halsted is highly irrelevant towards those stations.

I think he mentioned the Metra stations only because he wanted to feed the Clinton station. Anyway, he gave it up.

• Upvote 2

How about if CTA extended #62 Archer to Navy Pier?

I don't think that turnaround has the capacity for another route.

Currently the 2 [rush hour only], the 29, 65, 66 & 124 buses go there.

So is yet another bus route even needed at Navy Pier?

Maybe at certain times a FREE shuttle using artics going express to the Grand/State & Grand/Milwaukee subway stations would be of great help. Free, because the buses could load & go much faster & clear people out of there, plus almost all will be paying for the L, so little revenue would be lost by making it free. I'm sure it was a mess with long wait times after this weekend's fireworks.

But most of the time, regular service seemed sufficient when I was there.

How about if CTA extended #62 Archer to Navy Pier?

Archer is a barely useful route since the Orange Line parallels it.

One also must consider that 56, which used to go to Navy Pier, was essentially split into 56 and 124.

I don't think that turnaround has the capacity for another route.

Currently the 2 [rush hour only], the 29, 65, 66 & 124 buses go there.

So is yet another bus route even needed at Navy Pier?

Maybe at certain times a FREE shuttle using artics going express to the Grand/State & Grand/Milwaukee subway stations would be of great help. Free, because the buses could load & go much faster & clear people out of there, plus almost all will be paying for the L, so little revenue would be lost by making it free. I'm sure it was a mess with long wait times after this weekend's fireworks.

But most of the time, regular service seemed sufficient when I was there.

Any increase in service would be tied to the Washington-Madison circulator "BRT."

At one time, there were some Grand buses between Navy Pier and Merchandise Mart, at least for special events. There also appears to be trolley service serving this function.

Archer is a barely useful route since the Orange Line parallels it.

One also must consider that 56, which used to go to Navy Pier, was essentially split into 56 and 124.

Any increase in service would be tied to the Washington-Madison circulator "BRT."

At one time, there were some Grand buses between Navy Pier and Merchandise Mart, at least for special events. There also appears to be trolley service serving this function.

I would hardly say the 62 is barely useful just because it parallels the Orange Line, given the buses on that route still draw heavy loads at times especially during the rush periods as well as the fact that the route has kept an owl service that few have been quick to argue was more because of political clout wielded by a local political family (in this case the Lipinskis) than actual need, in other words outside of its day operations being a quick transit alternative for reaching the Midway area when the Orange Line isn't in operation without having to ride all the way to the #63 bus to do so, especially after the #47 had its owl service cut years ago.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I'm starting this topic due to the lack of bus ridership and what would be some good options to help improve bus service citywide. So like give your opinions about what bus routes could use some changes to its routing, schedules, new bus routes the CTA could add, or what bus routes they could eliminate, etc. This does not reflect on the opinions of those associated with the Chicago Transit Authority. Open public opinions only.

One of my opinions: Add owl service to the #155 Devon route.