If I ran Transit for one day...

Schaumburg officials have previously stated they want the Blue extended all the way out there.

That must have been 20 years ago. About 10 years ago the RTA held a competition between the 3 agencies and "blessed" the Metra STAR Line, but in the last couple of years, that seems to have died with the rest of the New Starts, and the only thing currently on the table is the Pace I-90 project, which does have funding and the Toll Highway Authority's support.

Similarly, there was some talk about extending the other end of the Blue Line to Oakbrook, but the only plan on the table is IDOT's to extend it to Mannheim Road (on http://eisenhowerexpressway.com/, click on Four Alternatives Advancing*).

*No Three Politicians Piping,

All,

Due to the abundance of fantasy threads, I've merged the CTA and Pace revisions/fantasies into one thread. This thread will also be pinned to the top for your convenience.

Additionally, for any of our new viewers and friends, be advised of the community guideline policy:

• Backup facts and explain your positions. If making a statement of fact, always provide supporting evidence. For opinions or suggestions, always provide justification for your position. For example, do not suggest changes to CTA routes or operations without providing reasonable justification.

If nothing else, we've got at least the last 10 years* of foaming, groupthink, brainstorming, and wishing what the powers that be (or won't become) is controlled and organized into a single thread for all to reference. But importantly, be sure to backup and justify why any route (revision, addition, subtraction) needs to be done. Be realistic with your proposals but also have fun.

Enjoy...and a happy forthcoming New Year!

D

_______

* I'm still coming to terms with me being here for 9 of those 10 years...

Edited by MetroShadow
I ramble, a lot. Oops?

All,

Due to the abundance of fantasy threads, I've merged the CTA and Pace revisions/fantasies into one thread. This thread will also be pinned to the top for your convenience.

Additionally, for any of our new viewers and friends, be advised of the community guideline policy:

If nothing else, we've got at least the last 10 years* of foaming, groupthink, brainstorming, and wishing what the powers that be (or won't become) is controlled and organized into a single thread for all to reference. But importantly, be sure to backup and justify why any route (revision, addition, subtraction) needs to be done. Be realistic with your proposals but also have fun.

Enjoy...and a happy forthcoming New Year!

D

_______

* I'm still coming to terms with me being here for 9 of those 10 years...

Makes sense for the CTA proposals, but I see you redirected Pace proposals here when this is a CTA specific thread considering that it is in the CTA section. :lol:

Makes sense for the CTA proposals, but I see you redirected Pace proposals here when this is a CTA specific thread considering that it is in the CTA section. :lol:

I had only commented on the additional CTA thread. However, while I have very little use for fantasy, generally, Pace is reasonably transparent about what it proposes and is funded. I was going to put up something sarcastic about a Hammond to Waukegan route, but there wouldn't be much point.

On the point of this thread, while maybe someone can propose routes that meet the community guidelines, I thought stuff like assigning numbers to them was totally arbitrary (such as someone saying 89 for Elston-Clybourn, when it was 41). That also made me think that someone should look up the history of a route, which they could do on Chicago Transit and Railfan, but that's probably expecting too much.

I would have the Purple Line switch to North Lake Shore Drive by 5700N & have it stop at Bryn Mawr, Foster, Lawrence, Montrose, Irving Park, Addison, Belmont, Fullerton, LaSalle Drive, Division (or Oak Street) (in the subway) then pouring under Michigan Avenure, stopping at Chicago, Grand (maybe) then going on where the Metra travels between Michigan/Randolph & 93rd Street (South Chicago). As far as hours are concerned, I'd either have it run 24/7 or at least from 4am until 1:30am. The maximum length would be 8 cars long.

I don't know why they are running the #4 all night from Green line to Downtown. I would think the #3 would be more popular. Could be cause they are trying to serve the absence of Green line's to Cottage, but still they are not serving the King Drive neighborhood.

Probably depends on whether anyone has to get to U of C Hospitals (N4 used to run only to 59th).

At the time they moved the night 4 off its old route north of 35th, I wondered what would serve Michael Reese Hospital, until learning that it closed.

I would have the Purple Line switch to North Lake Shore Drive by 5700N & have it stop at Bryn Mawr, Foster, Lawrence, Montrose, Irving Park, Addison, Belmont, Fullerton, LaSalle Drive, Division (or Oak Street) (in the subway) then pouring under Michigan Avenure, stopping at Chicago, Grand (maybe) then going on where the Metra travels between Michigan/Randolph & 93rd Street (South Chicago). As far as hours are concerned, I'd either have it run 24/7 or at least from 4am until 1:30am. The maximum length would be 8 cars long.

I like this, but I do feel that the people in Evanston would put up heavy opposition towards any purple line changes. That being said, the following idea is speculation, but this could be an alternative

After leaving Howard, the Purple Line would stop at Loyola and Bryn Mawr before deviating. Then, it would make stops at the following areas.

-Foster (Foster/Marine)

-Lawrence (Lawrence/Marine)

-Wilson (Wilson/Marine)

-Montrose (Montrose/Marine)

-Irving Park (Irving Park/Marine)

-Addison (Addison/Marine)

-Belmont (Belmont/Sheridan)

-Diversey (Diversey/Sheridan)

-Fullerton (Fullerton, btwn Lakeview and Lincoln Park W)

-Armitage (Armitage/Clark)

-LaSalle/North (On Clark, btwn LaSalle and North, w/ connections to North/Clark Terminal)

It would then join the Red Line underground at Clark/Division, and follow the Red Line before terminating at Roosevelt. Another idea would start off the same as above, but continue with the following stops

Rush St/Gold Coast (Rush & Chicago)

Streeterville/River East (Columbus & Illinois)

Jackson/Grant Park (Columbus & Jackson)

11th/Grant Park (Columbus & 11th, Pedestrian Underpass)

These are just ideas, I'm not even sure people would look for funding for the first idea, much less the second one.

Another idea I have is combining routes 3 & 4 into one route, calling it #3 or #4 King Drive/Cottage Grove, since they both run between 95th/St. Lawrence and downtown. One direction would be via the current Cottage Grove routing until it gets to Randolph, then go to Lower Randolph Street/Lower Columbus Drive, then go north on Columbus/Fairbanks to Chicago, then follow the current King Drive routing back to 95th/St. Lawrence, & vice versa. In short, this routing would follow both routings but just joining together by the extra leg on Columbus. Buses that are going on King Drive would say "via King Drive" and buses on Cottage Grove would say "via Cottage Grove".

Possible 156 extension to cover 11 service. Also, proposing Saturday service at 18 to 23 minute headways and Sunday service to Belmont/Halstead or North/Clark at 21 to 28 minute headways.

Click this link and click on "Include Larger Map" https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Western+Brown+Line+Station,+Chicago,+IL&daddr=Lincoln+%26+Sheffield,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9258491,-87.6536326+to:Fullerton+%26+Lincoln,+Chicago,+IL+to:Lincoln+%26+Larrabee,+Chicago,+IL+to:Larrabee+%26+North,+Chicago,+IL+to:North+%26+LaSalle,+Chicago,+IL+to:LaSalle+%26+Adams,+Chicago,+IL+to:Desplaines+%26+Harrison,+Chicago,+IL+to:Harrison+%26+Canal,+Chicago,+IL+to:Canal+%26+Jackson,+South+Canal+Street,+Chicago,+IL+to:Jackson+%26+LaSalle,+Chicago,+IL+to:North+Ave+%26+Sedgwick+(Brown+Line)+to:Larrabee+%26+North,+Chicago,+IL+to:Lincoln+%26+Larrabee,+Chicago,+IL+to:Fullerton+%26+Lincoln,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9258491,-87.6536326+to:Lincoln+%26+Sheffield,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9648698,-87.687979+to:Western+Brown+Line+Station,+Chicago,+IL&hl=en&geocode=FeRZgAIdmPrF-iF5Hh9JQHP4-Sl1uEBZBdIPiDF5Hh9JQHP4-Q%3BFSrJfwIdmYLG-im74ZKNA9MPiDHuuR6QjxB81Q%3BFdm8fwIdAIPG-iktIXFRA9MPiDGTxwB09KdaaA%3BFT-7fwIdGJbG-imxGc5SBdMPiDHjkJGz5osyhQ%3BFWmtfwIdcqnG-ik55pJmEdMPiDF4S4Q7iFbMtw%3BFTSDfwIdz6rG-inVlkkDPNMPiDFziV0tUONV4Q%3BFUqDfwIdu9LG-inTeJnmQ9MPiDGwMfgbgQrS3A%3BFc8HfwId09XG-im9vnUUvCwOiDEFTvPjdF3PPg%3BFbzzfgIdDanG-ilX_0Dt6SwOiDFDJKFaub7uYA%3BFcP0fgIdL7rG-imZ6Gi-6iwOiDFbcgeFjrmZJQ%3BFe0BfwIdILnG-inLYAhfwCwOiDHgNTOv50yvgA%3BFXMCfwIdfdbG-im9cJo1vCwOiDEUia5Qt4Mp_Q%3BFXODfwIdvL3G-in7wz5ZP9MPiDHauBhkzpMbAQ%3BFTSDfwIdz6rG-inVlkkDPNMPiDFziV0tUONV4Q%3BFWmtfwIdcqnG-ik55pJmEdMPiDF4S4Q7iFbMtw%3BFT-7fwIdGJbG-imxGc5SBdMPiDHjkJGz5osyhQ%3BFdm8fwIdAIPG-ikHaM5TA9MPiDGKYyHn2SjEwA%3BFSrJfwIdmYLG-im74ZKNA9MPiDHuuR6QjxB81Q%3BFUVVgAId1fzF-inLi2PmD9IPiDFgKxOK5dERRw%3BFeRZgAIdmPrF-iF5Hh9JQHP4-Sl1uEBZBdIPiDF5Hh9JQHP4-Q&aq=&sll=41.965091,-87.686455&sspn=0.010275,0.01914&vpsrc=6&t=h&mra=ls&via=2,16,18&ie=UTF8&ll=41.907132,-87.627983&spn=0.164549,0.306244&z=12&layer=c&ei=uumlVLudBaWOwQHotoHoDA&pw=2

I like this, but I do feel that the people in Evanston would put up heavy opposition towards any purple line changes. That being said, the following idea is speculation, but this could be an alternative

After leaving Howard, the Purple Line would stop at Loyola and Bryn Mawr before deviating. Then, it would make stops at the following areas.

-Foster (Foster/Marine)

-Wilson (Wilson/Marine)

-LaSalle/North (On Clark, btwn LaSalle and North, w/ connections to North/Clark Terminal)

It would then join the Red Line underground at Clark/Division, and follow the Red Line before terminating at Roosevelt. Another idea would start off the same as above, but continue with the following stops

Rush St/Gold Coast (Rush & Chicago)

Streeterville/River East (Columbus & Illinois)

Jackson/Grant Park (Columbus & Jackson)

11th/Grant Park (Columbus & 11th, Pedestrian Underpass)

These are just ideas, I'm not even sure people would look for funding for the first idea, much less the second one.

Yes the Purple Line would stop at Loyola Station as a transfer point.

Possible 156 extension to cover 11 service. Also, proposing Saturday service at 18 to 23 minute headways and Sunday service to Belmont/Halstead or North/Clark at 21 to 28 minute headways.

Click this link and click on "Include Larger Map" https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Western+Brown+Line+Station,+Chicago,+IL&daddr=Lincoln+%26+Sheffield,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9258491,-87.6536326+to:Fullerton+%26+Lincoln,+Chicago,+IL+to:Lincoln+%26+Larrabee,+Chicago,+IL+to:Larrabee+%26+North,+Chicago,+IL+to:North+%26+LaSalle,+Chicago,+IL+to:LaSalle+%26+Adams,+Chicago,+IL+to:Desplaines+%26+Harrison,+Chicago,+IL+to:Harrison+%26+Canal,+Chicago,+IL+to:Canal+%26+Jackson,+South+Canal+Street,+Chicago,+IL+to:Jackson+%26+LaSalle,+Chicago,+IL+to:North+Ave+%26+Sedgwick+(Brown+Line)+to:Larrabee+%26+North,+Chicago,+IL+to:Lincoln+%26+Larrabee,+Chicago,+IL+to:Fullerton+%26+Lincoln,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9258491,-87.6536326+to:Lincoln+%26+Sheffield,+Chicago,+IL+to:41.9648698,-87.687979+to:Western+Brown+Line+Station,+Chicago,+IL&hl=en&geocode=FeRZgAIdmPrF-iF5Hh9JQHP4-Sl1uEBZBdIPiDF5Hh9JQHP4-Q%3BFSrJfwIdmYLG-im74ZKNA9MPiDHuuR6QjxB81Q%3BFdm8fwIdAIPG-iktIXFRA9MPiDGTxwB09KdaaA%3BFT-7fwIdGJbG-imxGc5SBdMPiDHjkJGz5osyhQ%3BFWmtfwIdcqnG-ik55pJmEdMPiDF4S4Q7iFbMtw%3BFTSDfwIdz6rG-inVlkkDPNMPiDFziV0tUONV4Q%3BFUqDfwIdu9LG-inTeJnmQ9MPiDGwMfgbgQrS3A%3BFc8HfwId09XG-im9vnUUvCwOiDEFTvPjdF3PPg%3BFbzzfgIdDanG-ilX_0Dt6SwOiDFDJKFaub7uYA%3BFcP0fgIdL7rG-imZ6Gi-6iwOiDFbcgeFjrmZJQ%3BFe0BfwIdILnG-inLYAhfwCwOiDHgNTOv50yvgA%3BFXMCfwIdfdbG-im9cJo1vCwOiDEUia5Qt4Mp_Q%3BFXODfwIdvL3G-in7wz5ZP9MPiDHauBhkzpMbAQ%3BFTSDfwIdz6rG-inVlkkDPNMPiDFziV0tUONV4Q%3BFWmtfwIdcqnG-ik55pJmEdMPiDF4S4Q7iFbMtw%3BFT-7fwIdGJbG-imxGc5SBdMPiDHjkJGz5osyhQ%3BFdm8fwIdAIPG-ikHaM5TA9MPiDGKYyHn2SjEwA%3BFSrJfwIdmYLG-im74ZKNA9MPiDHuuR6QjxB81Q%3BFUVVgAId1fzF-inLi2PmD9IPiDFgKxOK5dERRw%3BFeRZgAIdmPrF-iF5Hh9JQHP4-Sl1uEBZBdIPiDF5Hh9JQHP4-Q&aq=&sll=41.965091,-87.686455&sspn=0.010275,0.01914&vpsrc=6&t=h&mra=ls&via=2,16,18&ie=UTF8&ll=41.907132,-87.627983&spn=0.164549,0.306244&z=12&layer=c&ei=uumlVLudBaWOwQHotoHoDA&pw=2

This cannot work since a large portion of 156 ridership lives NORTH of North Ave along Stockton DR. The 156 also doubles as a downtown feeder from Union STation. Currently iit is a high frequency rush service. Service along the 11 could never match that. The CTA already had paired the original 11 Lincoln with the 37 Sedgwick before discontinuing the middle third of that route and making the 37 its own route again. Apparently the CTA has no intention on restoring service along Lincoln between Fullerton and Lawrence.

• Upvote 4

-Foster (Foster/Marine)

-Wilson (Wilson/Marine)

All indications (from statements that Wilson will have express local platforms) are that the Purple Line WILL STAY WHERE IT IS, with 4 tracks and express service stopping at Wilson, Belmont, and Fullerton.

You want to grossly inconvenience riders by turning an express into a local, and have 2 locals runs within a mile of each other?

There is already bus express service on LSD, There are some proposals for exclusive bus lanes. There was some kablooey consultant's report about an LRT, but that isn't going to happen.

What are you going to do?: Dig a subway that is going to flood, or construct an L that would violate the Lakefront Protection Ordinance and get the Friends of the Park in a tizzy? Or just be like Gabe Klien and close down Lake Shore Drive?

And, bringing up the community guidelines again, where are you going to get the $30 billion for this boondoggle?

sw doesn't want me doing cyber bullying, but please stop posting thiese fantasies that I can only classify as .............[i can't say here]. This isn't Men of War with the spokesperson with a lot of vitrual décolletage

• Upvote 3

Another idea I have is combining routes 3 & 4 into one route, calling it #3 or #4 King Drive/Cottage Grove, since they both run between 95th/St. Lawrence and downtown. ....

I noted before that I wasn't sure about the downtown routings, but south of Cermak, 3 and 4 are distinct mainline routes. Also, 4 runs all night, 3 doesn't.

Are you next going to propose that there be a combined 8 and 52 route, known as the 197, because both end around Addison?

Besides that, I predict the south side would be like the north side, screaming (where 145 didn't stop between Irving Park and Belmont for a while) "You took away my bus route," even though more service was put on 146. That's how you got the 145 to Grace buses, and I'm surprised there wasn't similar insane screaming when 145 was cut 8 years later, even though the Grace buses became 146.

All indications (from statements that Wilson will have express local platforms) are that the Purple Line WILL STAY WHERE IT IS, with 4 tracks and express service stopping at Wilson, Belmont, and Fullerton.

You want to grossly inconvenience riders by turning an express into a local, and have 2 locals runs within a mile of each other?

There is already bus express service on LSD, There are some proposals for exclusive bus lanes. There was some kablooey consultant's report about an LRT, but that isn't going to happen.

What are you going to do?: Dig a subway that is going to flood, or construct an L that would violate the Lakefront Protection Ordinance and get the Friends of the Park in a tizzy? Or just be like Gabe Klien and close down Lake Shore Drive?

And, bringing up the community guidelines again, where are you going to get the $30 billion for this boondoggle?

sw doesn't want me doing cyber bullying, but please stop posting thiese fantasies that I can only classify as .............[i can't say here]. This isn't Men of War with the spokesperson with a lot of vitrual décolletage

Seems like someone's got serious issues. This forum is about how we would have it if we ran CTA for a day, after all. If the Purple Line were to go on Lake Shore Drive, that would replace the express routes.

• Upvote 1

Seems like someone's got serious issues. This forum is about how we would have it if we ran CTA for a day, after all. If the Purple Line were to go on Lake Shore Drive, that would replace the express routes.

Maybe you should read MetroShadow's comments in this thread, when he consolidated it, especially the Quote. I'm not an administrator.

I'd figure we can be all-inclusive with all three service boards. Think of it as a "challenge" for all. :D

To be honest, I'm actually curious to hear some suburban proposals beyond trying to get the CTA presence extended outside of Cook County by way of various L extensions without naming what would generate traffic with the exception of those that did mention nearby suburban malls. :lol: (Busjack recently finding the wording of state law that does give CTA authority to operate anywhere within the boundaries of Cook County answers certain questions raised like why CTA gets to operate the 21 to North Riverside Mall after folding the 25 into that route, why the 86 runs south of North Avenue, why the 90 got to be extended to the Green Line and why 97, the Yellow Line, Purple Line Shuttle and the CTA Evanston bus routes get to operate entirely within suburban areas.)

Probably depends on whether anyone has to get to U of C Hospitals (N4 used to run only to 59th).

At the time they moved the night 4 off its old route north of 35th, I wondered what would serve Michael Reese Hospital, until learning that it closed.

Well there is still Mercy Hospital near 26th and Michigan that the 4 still serves daily.

What makes you think this rail proposal would be adequate to replace all those remaining express bus services even if you did manage to get past the Lakefront protection ordinance, the Friends of the Park people, environmental challenges and other issues Busjack rightfully pointed out? Hmmm? The Wilson stop reconstruction project that will turn Wilson into a transfer point between the Red and Purple Lines is being done specifically because the Red Line is overwhelmed with the the express buses in place. And CTA is already lacking in express bus service outside those hugging the lakefront with the X routes gone as is. So name one good justification for trying to get rid of the express routes that do remain.

• Upvote 2

Actually, they have a good use for LRT on LSD. As the population is growing CTA is not growing so the Red line is basically overwhelmed with all these new riders. Now opening up Wilson to Purple line traffic is smart in a way but all they are doing is putting a bigger crowd on the Purple line which just has 6 cars. There is still alot of traffic on LSD and alot of high rise condos filled with potential riders of those routes. Plus add in all the lakefront attractions and it is really a no brainer. I mean with one LRT line you could serve the north side LSD crowd, Lincoln Park Zoo, Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, The Museum Campus, Millennium Park, and maybe with an extension Hyde Park riders and MSI. There's alot of bus traffic that can be eliminated off the drive and it will help the environment to clean up some of this pollution. Plus all this adds to the tourist value of our city and makes it just that much greater. It's either that or lose a lane of traffic to BRT which is probably coming in the future.

I'd like to see the 55's route through Washington Park altered so it goes to 57th & Cottage Grove to directly serve the University of Chicago Hospitals.

The bus already goes as far south as 56th while going through the park, so the extra couple of blocks wouldn't be that big a deal.

The U of C Hospitals have to one of the poorest served large institutions in the city by the CTA.

Only the 4 operates all the time, but the service on that route is a mess, with massive bunching. The 192 & the 170s are mainly for employees that live in the suburbs.

I'd like to see the 55's route through Washington Park altered so it goes to 57th & Cottage Grove to directly serve the University of Chicago Hospitals.

The bus already goes as far south as 56th while going through the park, so the extra couple of blocks wouldn't be that big a deal.

The U of C Hospitals have to one of the poorest served large institutions in the city by the CTA.

Only the 4 operates all the time, but the service on that route is a mess, with massive bunching. The 192 & the 170s are mainly for employees that live in the suburbs.

As you note, something like the Jeffery Jump or a reserved lane is coming.

However, I doubt one can assume that everyone living in the high rises is going downtown (given the commercial development around Elston and the aging of that population). As far as attractions, it would have to go through the middle of the park (Stockton or Cannon Drive route) to get to the Zoo and Notebaert Museum;* too long of a walk to LSD, stations exposed to Lake effect, and the need for bus terminals. At least the current structure of the LSD routes is that they are segmented to serve differing segments (cut north to south).

What should be done is some market survey on preferences between the express bus an L. For instance, as a matter of walking distance, passengers should be fairly indifferent between the Red Line and 147 bus, if one assumes they are going downtown and the only difference is ending up on State or Michigan. In that case, the L is actually the local if you are going to the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

*An aside: that museum hit me as the kind of nature museum the phone company would build, Notebaert having been a former president of the phone company. I wondered about the exhibit about underground cables.

There also is 2, but as you imply, part time.

Maybe your comment was based on my comment on the N4, but other than that, Hyde Park does not associate with the "real world." For instance, nobody seems bothered that the 59 bus is on 61st. If you were arguing moving anything to accommodate the U of C, that would be it.

There was a 174 bus between the 2 Garfield L stations and campus, but U of C quickly dropped it. Apparently 55 was adequate. Also, U of C has arrangements with a private shuttle operator (website). Note, again, that the connection is with the Metra station, again showing that Hyde Park has not changed its attitude toward the real world.

Maybe your comment was based on my comment on the N4, but other than that, Hyde Park does not associate with the "real world." For instance, nobody seems bothered that the 59 bus is on 61st. If you were arguing moving anything to accommodate the U of C, that would be it.

There was a 174 bus between the 2 Garfield L stations and campus, but U of C quickly dropped it. Apparently 55 was adequate. Also, U of C has arrangements with a private shuttle operator (website). Note, again, that the connection is with the Metra station, again showing that Hyde Park has not changed its attitude toward the real world.

The 2 is also mostly for university employees in reverse rush operations.

It doesn't run midday, so patients can't get to their appointments.

I've talked to a number of hospital employees & they told me that meetings have had to be cut short, because the last 192 is at 7PM. But that scheduling is insane, as it then gets to Union & Olgilvie too late for the UP North & NW trains & passengers must wait until the next train, an hour later & often misses the MILW trains at those same times.

It's not just Hyde Park against the world, it's also the CTA against common sense.

Almost all the 192 riders are discretionary & many may drive after the new parking garage is finished in a few months. But the CTA routinely uses the worst artics, the 4150s, with the awful seats, instead of the 4300s, which do run on the J14, which is the source of all the 192 runs, as the 192s that are used started as either a 14 or J14 deadhead back to 103rd or the reverse in the evening rush.

The 2 is also mostly for university employees.

It doesn't run midday, so patients can't get to their appointments.

I've talked to a number of hospital employees & they told me that meetings have had to be cut short, because the last 192 is at 7PM. But that scheduling is insane, as it then gets to Union & Olgilvie too late for the UP North & NW trains & passengers must wait until the next train, an hour later & often misses the MILW trains at those same times.

It's not just Hyde Park against the world, it's also the CTA against common sense.

Almost all the 192 riders are discretionary & many may drive after the new parking garage is finished in a few months. But the CTA routinely uses the worst artics, the 4150s, with the awful seats, instead of the 4300s, which do run on the J14, which is the source of all the 192 runs, as the 192s that are used started as either a 14 or J14 deadhead back to 103rd or the reverse in the evening rush.

^ I myself like this, but I recognize and others would argue that that IS walking distance. The only other additional benefit is DuSable, which is still walking distance

-----

So is there actually any chance of "reconnecting" Hyde Park to Chicago? The only routes in the area that are classified as "Key" according to RTA are 4, 6, 15, 28, 47 (technically doesn't serve Hyde Park) and 55. Taking away "Support" routes (2, 59, since 10/170s/192 are contracted services) doesn't do that much harm to Hyde Park (2 is discretionary much like the 192 and 59 being taken away hurts other neighborhoods more than Hyde Park.

One idea, might be to add limited midday service on the 2, but without heading downtown, making it a "Hyde Park" circulator of sorts. However, I don't see this happening without the support and some funding from citizens of Hyde Park.

Another suggestion is sending the 59 to MSI, which isn't that far (60th/Dorchester to 57th/Hyde Park: That's walking distance). However, my previous point from above could be argued, and if this was implemented, the 55 change would have to happen as well.

Other than minor suggestions above, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done in Hyde Park.

^ I myself like this, but I recognize and others would argue that that IS walking distance. The only other additional benefit is DuSable, which is still walking distance

It's not walking distance if you have trouble walking, which is why people are going to the largest hospital in the city.

I myself, once went there during my first gout attack. There wasn't a 4 at 55th St. for 15 minutes, so I walked to 58th. That took over 30 minutes & still no 4 ever passed me going south.

4 is a miserably run route, one that I personally believe is the worst on the South Side.