Historic Buses

BusExpert32

With the historic rail cars 4271-72 being used in regular service a few times, I wondered if the same could be done with historic buses. Has CHBM ever ran a historic bus on a regular bus route like we saw on the Yellow line with the rail cars? Would it be a feasible idea for CHBM to do this?

• Upvote 1

With the historic rail cars 4271-72 being used in regular service a few times, I wondered if the same could be done with historic buses. Has CHBM ever ran a historic bus on a regular bus route like we saw on the Yellow line with the rail cars? Would it be a feasible idea for CHBM to do

this?

Seems feasible. Don't know why not. It seems like New York transit does is fairly frequently.

Check out YouTube video about GM Old Look bus 2969 on the M42.

No, for the simple reason that CHBM is not CTA. CTA runs the historic 4000s. A private group, completely unaffiliated with CTA, maintains the CHBM fleet.

I'd assume they don't have the insurance that allows them to transport members of the general public. They certainly don't have the operating rights that CTA has.

No, for the simple reason that CHBM is not CTA. CTA runs the historic 4000s. A private group, completely unaffiliated with CTA, maintains the CHBM fleet.

I'd assume they don't have the insurance that allows them to transport members of the general public. They certainly don't have the operating rights that CTA has.

And the way it seems, no money to run it, although 5750 would better know.

Guest ctafan630

Is the CHBM still around? I thought they gave away the last two buses they had to IRM.

If MTA can do it, or the CTA with rail cars, then it can be done. CHBM (or IRM, if CHBM folded and they took some of their buses) can take the initiative and organize it with the CTA, since the CTA won't think about it themselves.

If MTA can do it, or the CTA with rail cars, then it can be done. CHBM (or IRM, if CHBM folded and they took some of their buses) can take the initiative and organize it with the CTA, since the CTA won't think about it themselves.

You are basically assuming that anything still exists or that CHBM still exists, or that there is any interest in running an old bus.

At least the odds are better at Pace, since it is reported that they still have 3 predecessor buses hanging out at South Holland.

For that matter, CTA is running out of excuses to run the 4200s. They certainly wouldn't be relevant to a Dan Ryan or Jefferson Park 50th anniversary.

Maybe pace2322 can give you a ride in his bus.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off work from the fire academy and what an exciting day it was! I spent the entire morning shuttling fire recruits in the Flx Metro #6163. Prior to that I made a fueling trip down to South Shops. The looks I was getting from CTA bus drivers was funny! I even had a lady running for the bus stop as I was approaching. :)While I was fueling I had the chance to look at the dead storage yard. I saw the remaining NABI artics, including one half of a bus. The #500 Optimas A few Flx Metro #5400/6000s, RTS #4901, CTA Flx #131, the historic bus fleet #301, #3706, #8499 are sitting there. Im wondering if those buses have reached the end of the line! Im hoping CTA is not planning to scrap them! Does anyone have any info on this??? Other buses sitting at SS include a GMC (albino) #9476, GMC #1257 and the white BT-1. Just an incredible treasure of historic CTA buses. I also had the opportunity to see the new #7900 Nova bus which was there for wheelchair lift demonstrations to the public. The CTA instructor was kind enough to allow me to view the bus. I was impressed! These models are very nice and are a real change form the models theyre replacing. As for the junkyard, I was unable to sneak close enough to snap pics due to the risk of someone catching me. I also found out also that the New Flyer #5826 sitting at the city shops at North/Throop, that bus will be scrapped along with the RTS sitting at 31st/Sacramento. I wish there was some way to prevent this from happening. Any suggestions??? :)

Does anyone know if the CTA historical bus fleet is being scrapped? I saw them lined up next to buses that have "SCRAP" spray painted on them.

I don't think they are being scrapped. They are just there. Besides what would they drive to all these rodeos, a #6400? I gasp at the thought of that!! Lol!! If indeed they are scrapping them IRM would probably be interested in them. They are of historical significance. Or they could auction them. Someone would buy those. It's like scrapping a '57 Chevy that looks good. Probably the response to that is are you nuts!!

Was looking again at the contract page for Nova bus and they submitted a few more payments.

http://vcsearch.transitchicago.com/vendorContractDetail.php?pageNum_WADAtbl_payment=2&totalRows_WADAtbl_payment=24&CONTRACT_NUM=C12FT101275135

If we look back at when #7900 showed up, I believe #7901 was with it. That was 2/3/14 and the contract payment was 1/31/14. These newest payments mostly on May 6th, reflect that the CTA may be receiving these within 30 days, so the magic date these may come to SS is by June 5th. If they are not here by then I'll be really wondering what happened to them. :huh:

• 1 month later...

I was told today by a very reliable source, the CTA's historic bus fleet, Buses #301, 3706 and 8499 are being let go by the agency. That explains why theyre sitting in the dead yard at 77th. Theyre not in running condition and would have to be towed to IRM if they end up with them.

Guest ctafan630

I was told today by a very reliable source, the CTA's historic bus fleet, Buses #301, 3706 and 8499 are being let go by the agency. That explains why theyre sitting in the dead yard at 77th. Theyre not in running condition and would have to be towed to IRM if they end up with them.

I hope the IRM gets these. I remember riding #301 to HS on the #90 back in the late 80's.

I hope the IRM gets these. I remember riding #301 to HS on the #90 back in the late 80's.

If they don't another bus museum would gladly accept them. They are most likely in better shape than any of the other buses in the same fleet and #8499 is a one of a kind, I'm surprised if there is not a Flxible museum that the company or descendants of the Flxible company would not be interested in that as that bus is a symbol for the end of Twin and beginning of Flxible's New Look model. But I have the feeling that IRM will take them as long as CTA doesn't destroy them prior to delivery.

If they don't another bus museum would gladly accept them. They are most likely in better shape than any of the other buses in the same fleet and #8499 is a one of a kind, I'm surprised if there is not a Flxible museum that the company or descendants of the Flxible company would not be interested in that as that bus is a symbol for the end of Twin and beginning of Flxible's New Look model. But I have the feeling that IRM will take them as long as CTA doesn't destroy them prior to delivery.

8499 has been inoperable for probably 10 years now. Blew a brake line, so has no brakes. 301 and 3706 were operable until fairly recently, mostly just victims of sitting too long. They (along with various other oddballs) were evicted from Chicago when Chicago got the artics, to free up more room. Remember, 10 artics take up almost twice as much room as 10 40-footers.

In the past, the "historic" buses were used in regular service. 8499 ran for years after being officially "retired" in 1976, on 32-W 31st out of Archer. later 89-Northeastern Illinois U-bus out of North Park (a route which failed because 8499 broke down so often). After the 89 was shut down, 8499 was used a few weeks in regular service at North Park, with the last known use being on 147-Outer Drive Express on a PM tripper. 301 ran out of Forest Glen for years, mostly on 90N-North Harlem with the Phoenix 9537 or the 9228 (the one with the 6V92TA motor). 3706 was in regular service on Lake St until the end, then was used for a "farewell to the 3700's" charter, for which the CTA completely REPAINTED it, with all silversiding being painted over with a light gray! After the charter, it was laid up.

Seems feasible. Don't know why not. It seems like New York transit does is fairly frequently.

Check out YouTube video about GM Old Look bus 2969 on the M42.

NYCTA has a HUGE historic fleet, both bus and rail. At least 20 buses these days, as when they took over the Queens independents, they saved a few of their buses too. The subway cars are used all the time. For instance the first train thru to the Rockaways after the post-Sandy reconstruction was the R1/9 set.

• 4 months later...

attachicon.gif NYC1.jpgattachicon.gif NYC2.jpg When in NYC this past weekend, I spotted this vintage on one of their holiday runs. They do this every year and it's a shame that the CTA can't do the same

It's a damn shame might I add. I forget that NYC does this every year, with all the throwback buses sitting there at south shop cta should really do this as well smh. I personally would love to drive a 6000 series or a M.A.N bus those are a few of my favorite buses them and the current NF 1000 series.

• Upvote 2

It's a damn shame might I add. I forget that NYC does this every year, with all the throwback buses sitting there at south shop cta should really do this as well smh. I personally would love to drive a 6000 series or a M.A.N bus those are a few of my favorite buses them and the current NF 1000 series.

That's not really throwback enough for my taste, and from the pictures, not NY's taste either. It would be one thing if 301 were still around, or some of those in the CTA's historic collection that supposedly are now on the scrap line. Looks like the best one could do now is if IRM is interested.

I'm also surprised that the NY example isn't one of the batwing buses (those with the lighted advertising above the sliding windows, like this picture)

They run a bunch of others but that was the only one I saw. The trafice was terrible and we spent most of our time traveling on the subway

http://www.mta.info/news-holiday-nostalgia-ride-bus-subway/2014/11/21/nostalgia-trains-buses-return-holidays

Back to MrCTA's point, that link indicates that NY only considers Old Looks and New Looks historic. No reference there to saving RTSs and Orion Vs, which prevailed in NYCTA's fleet in the 80s and 90s.