Random Metra

garmon757

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Unfortunately I missed the majority of it since it came up so suddenly, but there’s a set of graffitied highliners sitting on a side track on the MDW line about 1-2 minutes before Bensenville

IMG_7515.MOV

Did you see any signs inside your Train about social distancing?

7 minutes ago, Marcin said:

It's been a minute since I last rode it train,  but the only sign I remember seeing was in the lead car.  The area between the operator's cab and the door was roped off with a sign asking people to spread out evenly in the train.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

It's been a minute since I last rode it train,  but the only sign I remember seeing was in the lead car.  The area between the operator's cab and the door was roped off with a sign asking people to spread out evenly in the train.

On which Line did you ride? Did you see any signs in other cars?

On 7/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, artthouwill said:

My mistake    I hadn't seen anything on a Metra train, only CTA.  Haven't seen enough people on the UP W or NW to matter.

So I read an article that said UP wants to end maintenance service for Metra on August 31st and wants out if operating Metra service on the 3 UP lines within 90 days, contingent on winning a lawsuit against Metra.  It's been no secret that UP and BNSF have been wanting our of operating the commuter service , but now it looks like UP is forcing the issue 

23 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So I read an article that said UP wants to end maintenance service for Metra on August 31st and wants out if operating Metra service on the 3 UP lines within 90 days, contingent on winning a lawsuit against Metra.  It's been no secret that UP and BNSF have been wanting our of operating the commuter service , but now it looks like UP is forcing the issue 

Are they essentially just trying to transfer services over to Metra entirely or end the UP lines completely?

A while back someone at work told me he rode the UP-NW line to and from Chicago and nobody collected or sold him a ticket. But the only thing I recall that I could find on Metra’s website was that only medical personnel could ride free after presenting a work ID from their medical facility. I believe Metra also wants to limit interaction between passengers and train crew, so that might have also played a role.

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Are they essentially just trying to transfer services over to Metra entirely or end the UP lines completely?

Essentially yes they are trying to transfer operations to Metra.   Metra would be responsible for equipment,  maintenance,  and personnel (engineers, conductors, ticket agents)   UP would maintain responsibility for dispatching trains and track maintenance. 

• Thanks 2

Ah ok. For some reason I don't hit a paywall on Crain's on my phone. 

Basically, UP has notified Metra of a couple things. 

1. If they win the lawsuit they will stop operating trains within 90 days. 

2. Beginning August 1st (and continuing at set dates) UP will stop providing legal, claims, clerical, and mechanical/repair services for Metra. 

UP refused to share the statement to Metra with Crain's, but it sounds like there will be more news on this topic. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2020 at 11:39 AM, Marcin said:

I’m on an MDN train. Btwn this, the MDW I took last weekend and the ME trains I take, Ive not seen any signs about social distancing (no posters, no flyers, no blocked off seats). Only the usual fare evasion, operation lifesaver and occasional advertisement

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

A while back someone at work told me he rode the UP-NW line to and from Chicago and nobody collected or sold him a ticket. But the only thing I recall that I could find on Metra’s website was that only medical personnel could ride free after presenting a work ID from their medical facility. I believe Metra also wants to limit interaction between passengers and train crew, so that might have also played a role.

At OTC today, have to head to Des Plaines and attempted to buy a ticket from the TVM. After unsuccessfully finding the ones on Track 4 and 12 (windows were closed) ran into a conductor who said no tickets. So I guess effectively all rides on the UP lines are free

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

At OTC today, have to head to Des Plaines and attempted to buy a ticket from the TVM. After unsuccessfully finding the ones on Track 4 and 12 (windows were closed) ran into a conductor who said no tickets. So I guess effectively all rides on the UP lines are free

When I rode the UP-North last week & the week before, no one came through to check tickets, but when I got off at Ogilvie, I saw only one conductor for the entire five car train.

3 hours ago, strictures said:

When I rode the UP-North last week & the week before, no one came through to check tickets, but when I got off at Ogilvie, I saw only one conductor for the entire five car train.

Same, I had a 5 car train on both the UP-NW and UP-N I took today. My UP-NW train had two conductors though. However, no tickets were collected.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Same, I had a 5 car train on both the UP-NW and UP-N I took today. My UP-NW train had two conductors though. However, no tickets were collected.

Looks like they haven't been collecting since April. (Again, wasted my weekend pass because of that)

Currently waiting for the BNSF on my way to work and there is a sizable crowd waiting here, at least 60+ people in front of the gate alone. Is this typical? I’ve not been on the BNSF since I was ~9 years old and I’ve definitely not taken a reverse commute train before

note: I typed this at 10:30 something am, but forgot to send