Random Metra

garmon757

7 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

They stopped painting the side area above the orange stripes black? I liked it better that way...

Other than that it looks good!

The grey parts are primer, the paint job isn't yet complete. Don't know why it left the shop early.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Who loves the Metra UP-NW express train trains man do they come thru park ridge blasting they horns

They are fun.  The suction from them is incredible.  I used to go outbound from there in the morning & would wait on the inbound platform, before I went to the center platform, just to watch people scurry away from the yellow line when it came.

I also wondered who cleaned up the hundreds of used coffee cups after they were left there on the center platform?

I have a hard time believing F59s have a higher axle load than an SD70ACE or ES44AC. I suspect issue is not out on the line but at Ogilvie itself. However again, CNW used some pretty large steam engines on passenger trains in the 1920s when NWSta was new, and you would think they would have designed it with provision for the biggest power at the time.

2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

I have a hard time believing F59s have a higher axle load than an SD70ACE or ES44AC. I suspect issue is not out on the line but at Ogilvie itself. However again, CNW used some pretty large steam engines on passenger trains in the 1920s when NWSta was new, and you would think they would have designed it with provision for the biggest power at the time.

Take a walk under some of the UP North bridges.  They're in terrible condition.  My favorite is Wrightwood Ave., where you can see the sun on a bright summer day.  The UP also had crews welding new flanges at the bottom of some bridges in Rogers Park.  Get off at the Lunt side & you can see them.

Other than Addison [1960 or so], Peterson [concrete with steel supports] or Emerson [1960 or so] in Evanston, they're all rusting away.  And the Emerson bridge is so rusted on the outside, Evanston tried to force the UP to paint it or let students paint it & they refused.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Did 94-99 go to New York and why do they paint these in NY

Only 97-99 were ever in active service on Metra, 94-96 have been purchased secondhand and are in the process of being delivered.

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Which locomotives went to the progress rail facility again?

97 and 99 have been shipped out, 98 should follow.

• Upvote 1