Random Metra

garmon757

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Currently waiting for the BNSF on my way to work and there is a sizable crowd waiting here, at least 60+ people in front of the gate alone. Is this typical? I’ve not been on the BNSF since I was ~9 years old and I’ve definitely not taken a reverse commute train before

note: I typed this at 10:30 something am, but forgot to send

I'm assuming you were at Union Station.  For an outbound, that's not bad.  I haven't been on that line since the pandemic, but I've been on that train before.  Usually there's 3 or 4 cars max, mostly 3, which would average 20 per car, which is light.  Usually only 1 if those 3 us an accessible ca.  Its the inbound trains that were full 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm assuming you were at Union Station.  For an outbound, that's not bad.  I haven't been on that line since the pandemic, but I've been on that train before.  Usually there's 3 or 4 cars max, mostly 3, which would average 20 per car, which is light.  Usually only 1 if those 3 us an accessible ca.  Its the inbound trains that were full 

This was the most full up Metra train since I’ve seen since the pandemic. 6 cars, 5 open, and 3 conductors. And yes, this was union station. I was just surprised at the size of the crowd on a Saturday morning

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yesterday while on the WB Green Line crossing over Canal,I noticed what appeared to be a rehabbed Amtrak locomotive on one of the trains.   It looked like it could have been a UPW or IPNW train, but I do know.   I've never seen it on the UPW SOi would guess it was a NW train.  It was the first time I saw any locomotive like that at Oglivie.  I'm not a locomotive fanatic,  but it stood out.   Unfortunate because of the steel barrier, I couldn't figure out exactly which track it was on, nor could I get an engine number.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yesterday while on the WB Green Line crossing over Canal,I noticed what appeared to be a rehabbed Amtrak locomotive on one of the trains.   It looked like it could have been a UPW or IPNW train, but I do know.   I've never seen it on the UPW SOi would guess it was a NW train.  It was the first time I saw any locomotive like that at Oglivie.  I'm not a locomotive fanatic,  but it stood out.   Unfortunate because of the steel barrier, I couldn't figure out exactly which track it was on, nor could I get an engine number.

I was having dinner with some work friends and wandering around the Woodstock Square on Tuesday and I heard a train pulling into the Woodstock station nearby. What caught my attention about it was that the first thing I heard from the locomotive was the bell rather than any engine sound, and that the bell was an e-bell. Initially I thought it was one of UP’s small freight trains passing through until I heard the brakes on the cars as they stopped. Unfortunately by the time I could get down to where I could see the station the train was already leaving.

I thought UP didn’t want anything besides the F40PH locomotives on their routes but  it looks like things have changed. What surprised me is that it’s on the NW line, because of the older bridges by Clybourn.

45 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I was having dinner with some work friends and wandering around the Woodstock Square on Tuesday and I heard a train pulling into the Woodstock station nearby. What caught my attention about it was that the first thing I heard from the locomotive was the bell rather than any engine sound, and that the bell was an e-bell. Initially I thought it was one of UP’s small freight trains passing through until I heard the brakes on the cars as they stopped. Unfortunately by the time I could get down to where I could see the station the train was already leaving.

I thought UP didn’t want anything besides the F40PH locomotives on their routes but  it looks like things have changed. What surprised me is that it’s on the NW line, because of the older bridges by Clybourn.

I forgot to mention the bell.  It did sound different.   It sounds like the e bells on the Metra Electric Highliners.   Because of the teack positioning being move to the western side if Oglivie. I figured it might be a NW train.  The old viaducts aling the west libe, particularly in Oak Park,  led me to believe UP didn't want the heavier locomotives on that route.  Mist of the bridges on the NW line look like they've been rebuilt. And the North lune bridges are veing rebuilt.  The west line bridhes haven't been touched. 

On 9/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, artthouwill said:

I forgot to mention the bell.  It did sound different.   It sounds like the e bells on the Metra Electric Highliners.   Because of the teack positioning being move to the western side if Oglivie. I figured it might be a NW train.  The old viaducts aling the west libe, particularly in Oak Park,  led me to believe UP didn't want the heavier locomotives on that route.  Mist of the bridges on the NW line look like they've been rebuilt. And the North lune bridges are veing rebuilt.  The west line bridhes haven't been touched. 

They have been in use on UP since 14th March 2020. One F59PHI (90) was repainted in August into a C&NW livery

Photograph of 73 at Elmhurst can be found here:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopicture.aspx?id=241464

On 9/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, artthouwill said:

When I lived in Oak Park I would regularly see UP freight trains use the same tracks and bridges that the Metra trains would use. They were definitely bigger and heavier too. Six axle locos hauling tank cars, hoppers, flat cars with vehicles on them, you name it. I even saw a locomotive hauling some brand new Metro North M8 commuter rail cars East towards New York one day (I forget if they were placed on flatcars or not). Those Oak Park bridges might be old looking, but they could definitely handle an F59PHI.

As for the UP-NW Line bridges, the ones well past the split with the North Line are newer and are in good shape. I’m talking about the ones closer to the Clybourn station. They are very rusty, and I think BusHunter or another forum member mentioned being able to see through a rust hole that formed through one of the bridges. I definitely did not like being in a car stopped on one of those bridges while our train was stopped at Clybourn!

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

When I lived in Oak Park I would regularly see UP freight trains use the same tracks and bridges that the Metra trains would use. They were definitely bigger and heavier too. Six axle locos hauling tank cars, hoppers, flat cars with vehicles on them, you name it. I even saw a locomotive hauling some brand new Metro North M8 commuter rail cars East towards New York one day (I forget if they were placed on flatcars or not). Those Oak Park bridges might be old looking, but they could definitely handle an F59PHI.

As for the UP-NW Line bridges, the ones well past the split with the North Line are newer and are in good shape. I’m talking about the ones closer to the Clybourn station. They are very rusty, and I think BusHunter or another forum member mentioned being able to see through a rust hole that formed through one of the bridges. I definitely did not like being in a car stopped on one of those bridges while our train was stopped at Clybourn!

There are massive rusted through holes are at the Wrightwood bridge, but it's four tracks wide & I'm not sure if the rusted out part is on one of the two operating tracks, which are north of Clybourn.   But from the windows, I can see that the one track no longer used south of Clybourn, the westernmost track, is not in good condition at North Ave. & Division Street. 

But the Lincoln Yards project, has Metra moving Clybourn south & then the city & Metra can replace the hellishly horrible bridges over Ashland, which are from 1906-08 & make going under then a nightmare for a lot of people & especially large trucks.  I assume, some sort of shoofly tracks will be required during their replacement.  When I was a kid, I remember it took the C&NW a couple of years to replace the massive bridge & Ridge, Emerson & Green Bay in Evanston, about 1960.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, strictures said:

There are massive rusted through holes are at the Wrightwood bridge, but it's four tracks wide & I'm not sure if the rusted out part is on one of the two operating tracks, which are north of Clybourn.   But from the windows, I can see that the one track no longer used south of Clybourn, the westernmost track, is not in good condition at North Ave. & Division Street. 

But the Lincoln Yards project, has Metra moving Clybourn south & then the city & Metra can replace the hellishly horrible bridges over Ashland, which are from 1906-08 & make going under then a nightmare for a lot of people & especially large trucks.  I assume, some sort of shoofly tracks will be required during their replacement.  When I was a kid, I remember it took the C&NW a couple of years to replace the massive bridge & Ridge, Emerson & Green Bay in Evanston, about 1960.

I remember the bridges being in that condition when I would ride the Northwest Line. I also don’t remember if it’s on the unused portion or the used portion, but the two parts can’t be that far apart in deterioration unfortunately.

Ill have to look up that Evanston bridge when I get a chance, it sounded like quite the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All;

Some of you may have boarded or alighted MED at a flag stop but today my experience was different [for me at least]. I boarded the MED train at the South Chicago terminal which departed at 10:50am Tuesday. I thought the website indicated that McCormick Place was a regular stop but I was mistaken (per the conductor announcement). I noticed we ran on the outside tracks on the mainline. I indicated to the trainman that I wished to get off at McCormick Place [single island platform station].  Passing 27th Street Michael Reese and still on the outside tracks I wondered what was up. We came to a stop at the McCormick Place station and the doors were even with the wooden crossing. The trainman and conductor opened the door [I was in the lead car] and then opened the "trap". I crossed the inside track on the wooden walkway and then the trainman unlocked the gate at the top of the stairs at the end of the platform and I walked up to the platform. I thanked them kindly and with the sound of the bell the train was off. That was certainly different. ?

9 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi All;

Some of you may have boarded or alighted MED at a flag stop but today my experience was different [for me at least]. I boarded the MED train at the South Chicago terminal which departed at 10:50am Tuesday. I thought the website indicated that McCormick Place was a regular stop but I was mistaken (per the conductor announcement). I noticed we ran on the outside tracks on the mainline. I indicated to the trainman that I wished to get off at McCormick Place [single island platform station].  Passing 27th Street Michael Reese and still on the outside tracks I wondered what was up. We came to a stop at the McCormick Place station and the doors were even with the wooden crossing. The trainman and conductor opened the door [I was in the lead car] and then opened the "trap". I crossed the inside track on the wooden walkway and then the trainman unlocked the gate at the top of the stairs at the end of the platform and I walked up to the platform. I thanked them kindly and with the sound of the bell the train was off. That was certainly different. ?

O haven't been on the MED lately,  but the last time I rode the South Chicago branch downtown,  it did stop at McCormick.   But there was also an express train at 57th that I could've transferred to  but I didn't realize it until it was too late.  Probably need to look at the schedule.

14 hours ago, John7 said:

Completely unrelated to metra but if anyone can mention me in the correct forum then please do. I heard all westbound south shore line trains are free till the end of October. is this true?

Yes it is true.  Also, those passengers who purchased September monthlies are using those same passes for the month of Ictober.  Basically those passengers will get 2 monthlues for the price of one.

There

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not UP-W, but Milwaukee West. This would be accomplished by a new connection to the adjacent UP track just west of the Big Timber Road station.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, Pace831 said:

Not UP-W, but Milwaukee West. This would be accomplished by a new connection to the adjacent UP track just west of the Big Timber Road station.

There has been some talk for quite awhile of MDW service extension. This mainly because the City of Elgin would like to get the coach yard out of downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All;

Remember my post from 9/22/2020 about riding MED to McCormick Place?

Today I was on the same train heading to Millenium Station and it made a flag stop on the outside track at McCormick Place. This time two CPD bicycle officers got on the train

on the outside track. Now I have seen it all.

Edited by geneking7320
correct spelling
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, Pace831 said:

If that’s really what it’s for, they would have needed to modify it to carry bikes, as none of the older cars were accessible.

We also have another inconsistent paint scheme.

It amazing how the locomotives have such great designs and the passenger cars have such terrible ones

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It amazing how the locomotives have such great designs and the passenger cars have such terrible ones

I agree, although there’s not really much you can do with the corrugated stainless steel bodies on the newer cars (New Jersey Transit has some smooth sides on their stainless steel cars and apply color there, possibly as a vinyl), and I personally like the way the bare metal looks. As for the Pullman cars, the new liveries have been disappointing to put it nicely... But since they’re not wheelchair accessible they have to be put with a newer car, so there is always going to be a changing design down the consist. My favorite colors on them used to be the RTA white with brown and red window stripes, but now I like the Metra silver with light blue and red stripes. It clashes the least with the other cars in my opinion.

• Upvote 1