Random Metra

garmon757

going to Milwaukee for rehab.and updates at Talgo plant.  Metrolink has ticket checks so excuse metra conductors cant service this type of car in one pass is smoke screen.    .many many metraconductors  make two passes in each section upper and lower so they already are doing 2 passes

15 hours ago, strictures said:

I would love Metra to change over to this style of car.  Fewer steps, larger bike storage area & far easier boarding.  

It would be an adjustment.   Metra riders are creatures of habit.   They know exactly where to stand to wait for their train to stop, they usually get the same seats.  If a Metra train like this showed up,  there would be total chaos and mass confusion. CTA rail riders aren't this good about knowing exactly where the train will stop so they are right by the doors.  ME riders were thrown for a loop when the new Highliners came because there weren't any more end car vestibule doors available 

oh the humanity  i think Metra riders will adjust.  lets give them some credit.  besides they do adjust  now if taking a different train or riding on weekends.  for example on Milwaukee north om wkends they dont use the last 3 coaches and people seem to adjust to that

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, west towns said:

metrolink also has Rotem coaches made in korea.   there are a few designs similar to Bobbardier out there

Not just similar, it's basically the same design. Much like how the Hyundai Rotem copied the Kawasaki Bilevels cars (MARC Train) when they got the contract for Boston

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not just similar, it's basically the same design. Much like how the Hyundai Rotem copied the Kawasaki Bilevels cars (MARC Train) when they got the contract for Boston

I don't know how many variations of railcar designs that are possible.   Sometimes transit agencies have specs that dictate the design of a car.  CTA has Budd, MK, and Bombardier cars that are basically the same.  Bombardier New York cars are pretty much like their predecessors.  I'm glad Metra is open to different designs as its current basic design dates back to the 1950s.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It would be an adjustment.   Metra riders are creatures of habit.   They know exactly where to stand to wait for their train to stop, they usually get the same seats.  If a Metra train like this showed up,  there would be total chaos and mass confusion. CTA rail riders aren't this good about knowing exactly where the train will stop so they are right by the doors.  ME riders were thrown for a loop when the new Highliners came because there weren't any more end car vestibule doors available 

You're being ridiculous.  The riders would figure out the new stop positions in two days!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know how many variations of railcar designs that are possible.   Sometimes transit agencies have specs that dictate the design of a car.  CTA has Budd, MK, and Bombardier cars that are basically the same.  Bombardier New York cars are pretty much like their predecessors.  I'm glad Metra is open to different designs as its current basic design dates back to the 1950s.

Not a lot, I guess. I just found it interesting that both of Hyundai Rotem's bilevel designed were almost carbon copies of previous ones. I'm more ok with standard heavy rail, as I understand the need for compatibility (e.x. CTA & WMATA), but I feel like with commuter rail, you sort of have more room to branch out. You've certainly made me think that Metrolink and MBTA might have specified the need for the new cars to look like the old ones however.

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I didn't say riders were dumb.  I said it would be an adjustment.   As long as the same equipment shows up daily, it would be a quick adjustment boardingwise.

No, many riders are dumb!  Although Metra riders seem to be smarter than CTA or Pace bus riders, where so many stand next to the front wheel wells & make it difficult to impossible to get past their fat asses!

The worst of the Metra riders I see are the ones who are obsessed with their phones going down stairways & can't put the damned things down for 30 seconds!

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What is the choice behind these green tinted windows? I've never liked them

And is this an ex-west coast Amtrak unit?

As it relates to the locomotives,  I don't care.  As it relates to the passenger cars, I wish they were tinted gray or purple.  But the Green is better than no tint, which Metra seems to be adopting.  Slightly OT, but here's hoping that the next batch of Metra passenger cars, and Pace's New Flyers come with tinted windows.