Random Metra

garmon757

30 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm confused about the way she reported on it: Was it a BNSF locomotive or a Metra locomotive on a BNSF train?

A Metra locomotive based on the contours of it that are visible in the opening shot, and the fact that a BNSF locomotive would not be at that location.

4 hours ago, John7 said:

Unlike 215, i believe that 210 will be rebuilt. Since 194 caught on fire back in 2014 and its back in service.

Yeah probably so... I saw 215 parked in a 3 header with 611 614 and some old repainted VRE cars in the yard. Theres a lady on youtube METX210 that will be devastated.. she was really into 210 and even gave the loco birthday party dedications

55 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

Yeah probably so... I saw 215 parked in a 3 header with 611 614 and some old repainted VRE cars in the yard. Theres a lady on youtube METX210 that will be devastated.. she was really into 210 and even gave the loco birthday party dedications

I thought of her as well when I saw it was 210 that caught fire. I met her on Pace 606 a few years ago going to the Des Plaines Oasis on the Friday before it closed. She had a sweatshirt with a picture of 210 on the back.

21 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I thought of her as well when I saw it was 210 that caught fire. I met her on Pace 606 a few years ago going to the Des Plaines Oasis on the Friday before it closed. She had a sweatshirt with a picture of 210 on the back.

Yeah I tried to contact her on Youtube and Twitter but haven't heard anything.. hope she's ok

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What's wrong with it? I thought the intention was to retain the majority of the Cascades/Surfliner livery

The top by the window and the bottom were left brown from cascades. In person it looks terrible.. would of came out better painting over the Amtrak logo and replace it with Metra

53 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

The top by the window and the bottom were left brown from cascades. In person it looks terrible.. would of came out better painting over the Amtrak logo and replace it with Metra

Ah. I, personally, am I fan, although the blue could've been left green with the Metra logo.

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ah. I, personally, am I fan, although the blue could've been left green with the Metra logo.

I know they wanted to repaint them at some point.. but they could of just painted all of them the Surfliner colors and have it be a one off. Now we have this one in three colors... 

On 6/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, richii0909 said:

Yeah I tried to contact her on Youtube and Twitter but haven't heard anything.. hope she's ok

I am pleased to say that based on her Twitter account she seems to be recovering. Obviously it was very traumatic for her, but fortunately she did manage to pull through. According to her, 210 will be sent off to be rebuilt to -3 specifications, though I'm not sure what her source is.

I stumbled upon her Twitter and Youtube pages a few years back, but back then I didn't see anything wrong with the locomotive, and back then I also didn't recall any other Metra locomotives being involved in any mechanical mishaps. Now that I realized her favorite locomotive was the one involved, I started to do some research, also because since the initial news reports of the locomotive catching fire, there haven't been any updates as to the cause, which I found frustrating. In the picture above in this thread (where you can identify the locomotive number), I noticed that the shape of the object on fire resembled the roof air-conditioning units above the cabs. Based on this Tweet, I'm guessing the fire did start in the AC unit, and then spread to the engine area, because the images on NBC and the like show the fire much more intense than the photo above.

10 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I am pleased to say that based on her Twitter account she seems to be recovering. Obviously it was very traumatic for her, but fortunately she did manage to pull through. According to her, 210 will be sent off to be rebuilt to -3 specifications, though I'm not sure what her source is.

I stumbled upon her Twitter and Youtube pages a few years back, but back then I didn't see anything wrong with the locomotive, and back then I also didn't recall any other Metra locomotives being involved in any mechanical mishaps. Now that I realized her favorite locomotive was the one involved, I started to do some research, also because since the initial news reports of the locomotive catching fire, there haven't been any updates as to the cause, which I found frustrating. In the picture above in this thread (where you can identify the locomotive number), I noticed that the shape of the object on fire resembled the roof air-conditioning units above the cabs. Based on this Tweet, I'm guessing the fire did start in the AC unit, and then spread to the engine area, because the images on NBC and the like show the fire much more intense than the photo above.

Well that’s good to hear that she is doing good. It sucks that these older trains are not doing so hot.