Red line train with rear door open

ibebobo

On a 5000 series Green Line train, I saw a teenager in the cab area (not where the controls are because that part was closed). While the train was moving he opened the sliding operators window and actually stuck his head outside the window. This was especially dangerous. Of course he was looking WB (the direction of travel of the train). My concern was that he was oblvious to the fact that there were tracks adjacent to him. Fortunately for him, no WB Metra Union Pacific West Line train was coming, for it would've been running on the very next track. Those trains run anywhere from 55 to 70 mph. He easily could've been decaptitated. At Harlem, I certainly informed CTA personnel concerning that window. Someone at CTA did a poor job of securing the car at the end of the line.

Not sure if this is clear enough for you all to see, but heading southbound on the Dan Ryan was this train with the rear door open!

I'm guessing not CTA protocol on a not so hot day????

We don't know if the A/C was working in that car or if the other bulkhead door was open to bring in fresh air.

Notice that the upper window just forward the motorman's cab is also open. Those windows require a key to open, so a broken A/C unit seems very possible.

I'm pretty willing to bet that no matter what the A/C does, leaving the rear or front door open is NOT allowed!

There are only passengers in that last car, so no one is going to complain about an open door if the A/C is broken.

Plus I was on lots of 6000s where all the doors on the train were open during the summer.

• Upvote 1

I'm so guilty of opening the door and sticking my head out on rare occasions. I wait until a car is near or completely empty. It's pretty thrilling to this usually rule abiding rider. It's great hearing the wheels on the jointed rail, the shoes hopping from one rail to another. Don't forget there's usually the set of chains that would probably keep somebody from falling out completely. I have my body leaning on the door so any slip will cause my shoulder to push the door closed.

I am amazed that those doors are not locked at all times. There has to be some rule being broken.

It is posted that one is not supposed to cross between cars, but I haven't seen any locked doors preventing it.

It is posted that one is not supposed to cross between cars, but I haven't seen any locked doors preventing it.

I can understand why, because it's an emergency access door, so it needs to be accessible at all times. I, however, agree it should only be used as such, but there's too many Darwin Award candidates that will continue to use the doors regardless.

With four other doors, I don't know why the front and back of the train should be unlocked. I would guess that if anyone pulled the emergency open on the four doors it would stop the train?????

I get where you're going about the doors at the front and back of the train being unlocked. But of course it involves yard personnel remembering to lock and unlock them when changing between 6- or 8-car and 4-car consists as the transition between peak and off-peak service occurs. It also entails checking if locks are in the proper position as cars are connected in the yard to put a train in service. And all that would possibly entail readjusting all train headways on each line to account for yard personnel doing all these things to put what appears on the surface a simple action into regular practice.

I get where you're going about the doors at the front and back of the train being unlocked. But of course it involves yard personnel remembering to lock and unlock them when changing between 6- or 8-car and 4-car consists as the transition between peak and off-peak service occurs. It also entails checking if locks are in the proper position as cars are connected in the yard to put a train in service. And all that would possibly entail readjusting all train headways on each line to account for yard personnel doing all these things to put what appears on the surface a simple action into regular practice.

Well If You Pull The Emergency Cherry Above The Train Doors It Wont Brake The Train It Will Throw The Trains Motor In Coast Where It Wont Be Allowed Acceleration Power Until The Door Is Reset

Well If You Pull The Emergency Cherry Above The Train Doors It Wont Brake The Train It Will Throw The Trains Motor In Coast Where It Wont Be Allowed Acceleration Power Until The Door Is Reset

I see you've completely misread my post since I was responding to his point about locking the emergency doors at the front and rear positions of the train for the cars that serve as lead and tail cars for that train's direction of travel.

I can understand why, because it's an emergency access door, so it needs to be accessible at all times. I, however, agree it should only be used as such, but there's too many Darwin Award candidates that will continue to use the doors regardless.

I was walking from car to car when I was ten, until about ten years ago & I'm still here. That's 40 years of doing it. The only reason I don't do it now is because the cops are arresting people who do that.

• Upvote 1

I was walking from car to car when I was ten, until about ten years ago & I'm still here. That's 40 years of doing it. The only reason I don't do it now is because the cops are arresting people who do that.

Ditto. If the car smelled, A/C wasn't working or was too crowded and I could visually see the next car with more space(at least by the walk-through door), then I changed cars. Won't do it now for the same reason, instead will run from one car to the next at the next stop - thereby inviting suspiscion from all around. EDIT: ..and if a door was left open, especially at the rear of the train - simply walked over and closed it.

Ditto. If the car smelled, A/C wasn't working or was too crowded and I could visually see the next car with more space(at least by the walk-through door), then I changed cars. Won't do it now for the same reason, instead will run from one car to the next at the next stop - thereby inviting suspiscion from all around. EDIT: ..and if a door was left open, especially at the rear of the train - simply walked over and closed it.

My reasons were broken A/C & getting on a train just as I got to the platform. I went through so I could get to the car I wanted that would let me off right at the stairs.

Fifth car, rear door or seventh car rear door at Howard, right down the stairs before anyone else & onto the bus, which I often just managed to make, thus leaving the slowpokes behind.

Now I do as you do, go from car to car on the platform, when the train stops. I'm always afraid that some idiot on the platform will block me & I'll not get on again.

I would add that I never walked car to car when the train was on a turn or high speed curve. That's how you stay alive doing that.

And the cops never arrest the panhandlers & 3 card monte creeps who go car to car, just us normal riders.

Like I tell my kids: You can get away with anything until you can't get away with it anymore. Can you imagine what would happen if some crazy incident happened when someone fell out? I can almost guarantee the feds would go after the CTA for allowing those two doors to be unlocked

Like I tell my kids: I can almost guarantee the feds would go after the CTA for allowing those two doors to be unlocked

Twenty posts.......question. When did the Chicago pass a law about going go car to car on the CTA? Law...not what is printed on the door handle....LAW!!! Not what you think.......LAW!

They do have such a law in New York City, but this is Chicago.

Passengers moving between cars are way down from what it used to be. Now mostly solicitors use the doors. I believe the do not cross signs have actually worked in 80 percent of the cases. As far as the rear doors being open all they have to do is shut the motorcab door across the bulkhead and they have an instantly locked door.

• Upvote 2

Twenty posts.......question. When did the Chicago pass a law about going go car to car on the CTA? Law...not what is printed on the door handle....LAW!!! Not what you think.......LAW!

They do have such a law in New York City, but this is Chicago.

All I know is that Chicago cops arrest people all the time for this for the last 5 years or so. So there must be a law, somewhere.

Maybe it's a CTA regulation.