New CTA Maps Are Out

It's not October on the pdf, fall could mean Dec 21st as Winter doesn't start until the 22nd of December. They should have said October in the box.

Maybe they didn't know for sure at press time. But Fall started a month ago, so the map is correct.

Maybe they didn't know for sure at press time. But Fall started a month ago, so the map is correct.

They have been preaching October for months, so I don't know about that. It would have probably been smarter to not include a box for the yellow line at all and just hold the maps back until they open it. If the maps just got released, they would just have to hold them back for two weeks.

I notice the new maps don't have a Read Center stop on the #78. They were having an exploratory dig for remnants of an old cemetery that has been under Oak park avenue from the 1800's until 1922 or 3, which they discovered bodies. (Story was in the NW side press and DNAinfo has the story too) Oak Park was closed in July and August but the road was reopened. I don't know if the buses went back to read center or not but the map says no.

Also the #86's don't pull into Wright college anymore? There seems to be a straight line there too.

It's not October on the pdf, fall could mean Dec 21st as Winter doesn't start until the 22nd of December. They should have said October in the box.

I think tthey are in a way acknowledging that that October estimate might be overly optimistic. Remember on that flyer I found on the bus they worded things along the lines of "we hope to have"  things reopened by October. They didn't exactly make it a definite action. After all we are at a week remaining and no signs the line gets opened by Halloween. Plus I highly doubt that whenever it gets reopened that they won't have it plastered all over the news that the Yellow Line finally got restored at that future point.

On the Yellow Line restoration point, CTA announces on their website that that's going to occur on this coming Friday, October 30th. So I suppose look for media announcements over the next coming days. Oh yeah they also state that parking is free at the Dempster-Skokie park and ride lot for the rest of this year.

Edited by jajuan

With the new X9 and X49 debuting in December, I'm sure the CTA anticipated issuing a new map around September since they didn't know the tentative reopening date of the Yellow Line. It would be a waste of money to reissue out new maps to reflect the opening when you could just print service fliers at half the cost. The map is just fine and up-to-date, it doesn't need to be technically correct, but all the information should be a reflection of the service being provided at this time.  

Oh, just by the way, the maps are out, so i'm assuming they are comfortable with releasing the map. Looks like when they updated the 'L' rail map, they must have also been in the process of updating the System map.

I notice the new maps don't have a Read Center stop on the #78. They were having an exploratory dig for remnants of an old cemetery that has been under Oak park avenue from the 1800's until 1922 or 3, which they discovered bodies. (Story was in the NW side press and DNAinfo has the story too) Oak Park was closed in July and August but the road was reopened. I don't know if the buses went back to read center or not but the map says no.

Also the #86's don't pull into Wright college anymore? There seems to be a straight line there too.

78's do not go into Red since the September pick. They decided it wasn't worth the trouble for the very few passengers who got on/off there. As for 86's, NB's are supposed to go thru Wright, SB's never did.

78's do not go into Red since the September pick. They decided it wasn't worth the trouble for the very few passengers who got on/off there. As for 86's, NB's are supposed to go thru Wright, SB's never did.

I thought the Read Center stop removal has to do with cconstruction on Oak Pk Ave in that vicinity. At least that's what the notice said as well as that being temporary.

I thought the Read Center stop removal has to do with cconstruction on Oak Pk Ave in that vicinity. At least that's what the notice said as well as that being temporary.

Once they discovered bodies, the construction was put on hold indefinitely. Even the senior center for veterans was put on hold and part of that building is constructed already.

Once they discovered bodies, the construction was put on hold indefinitely. Even the senior center for veterans was put on hold and part of that building is constructed already.

Ok. Had a bit of a brain freeze this morning. I missed your eearlier post about finding the dead bodies while they were digging.

Ok. Had a bit of a brain freeze this morning. I missed your eearlier post about finding the dead bodies while they were digging.

Yeah they claim this cemetery is supposed to be in a small rectangular area right around where the #78's used to pull into Read center, but it was reported they found a man complete with handlebar mustache around Irving Pk and Oak Park. So they have them all over that area. I like the story they had in the 90's, when they were building Dunning Square, that strip mall where Jewel's is. They claim they found an Indian over there, but I believe it was a cover story for finding someone from the state owned poor house land. They claim there could be 20,000 people there, mostly people who couldn't afford a burial. They didn't cremate back then. I'd hate to think those condos they built on narragansett are on sacred land. Hopefully those guys haven't watched Poltergeist lately. xD It sounds similar to that scenario. It makes for a spooky Halloween story anyway.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Interestingly enough, after all this time CTA system maps still have the dotted line along I-88 representing the old Pace 747 route when we all know that 747 was merged into Pace 301 to create that route's present form going into DuPage County.

Another error is Pace 384 doesn't run on Ridgeland between 103rd and Southwest Hwy, but the map shows a purple line there as if it did, in addition to the correct routing.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MrBeardedBread said:

Where can I get these maps, as well as paper schedules for the buses? I was able to previously find maps at each subway station, but in my quest for schedules, I only found paper brochures for each "L" route.

Schedules for buses you probably have to print unless you want to go to the garage and ask them for one. System Maps should be easy to find, just look at the CA kiosk at your local "L" station. I find the loop always seems to get the freshest maps. I got mine on a bus, but I was like the second rider of the morning on that bus, a pullout on the #80.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 2:22 AM, mel bernero said:

New CTA map dated September 2017 is out.

Gotten. Has anybody identified when and where the photograph depicted on it was taken? It looks to me like the then new Ashland/63rd St station. But there is a puzzlement in the old(er) motor bus {with the WLAK ad} pulling out, which would seemingly indicate it being taken on a weekday; contrasted with the two-car train of 4000s in the station, which would seemingly indicate a fantrip of some kind, and those usually occurred on a weekend day.

• 4 weeks later...

I love responding to myself! xD

So, on Sunday, I was out-&-about doing karaoke at Angelo O'Leary's in Forest Park. :)

When my evening ended, I walked to the Forest Park Blue Line “L” terminus. I had a comfortable time awaiting the next train departing thereof, so I went to the passenger assistant booth and inquired as to whether the Spanish-language CTA Route Map had been released.

Bang-shang-a-lang. She had to look through a few boxes, but she turned up one with the aforequeried subject therein. 36819947_cta-spanish_nov2017-4.jpg 36819948_cta-spanish_nov2017-2.jpg

Yes, I have a soft spot for Forest Park, as it was the rock-em-sock-em 'wet' suburb adjacent to the (then) dry Oak Park village.

Anyhow, the Spanish-language CTA Route Map is out there - with a November publication date rather than the September issuance for the English-language variant. Go out there and request it at your preferred “L” station.

22 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

I love responding to myself! xD

So, on Sunday, I was out-&-about doing karaoke at Angelo O'Leary's in Forest Park. :)

When my evening ended, I walked to the Forest Park Blue Line “L” terminus. I had a comfortable time awaiting the next train departing thereof, so I went to the passenger assistant booth and inquired as to whether the Spanish-language CTA Route Map had been released.

Bang-shang-a-lang. She had to look through a few boxes, but she turned up one with the aforequeried subject therein. 36819947_cta-spanish_nov2017-4.jpg 36819948_cta-spanish_nov2017-2.jpg

Yes, I have a soft spot for Forest Park, as it was the rock-em-sock-em 'wet' suburb adjacent to the (then) dry Oak Park village.

Anyhow, the Spanish-language CTA Route Map is out there - with a November publication date rather than the September issuance for the English-language variant. Go out there and request it at your preferred “L” station.

Picked up a November 2017 English map at the Ventra office downtown last Friday with the same graphics. Did they really produce a September and a November one?

43 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Picked up a November 2017 English map at the Ventra office downtown last Friday with the same graphics. Did they really produce a September and a November one?

Depends if it was necessary to show that Wilson is open, as well as the end of Red Line to Ashland.