CTA Fall 2014 Schedule Picks (Sunday August 31st, 2014)

Juniorz

Should have said those exact words the first time. I was confused.

I did say those exact words. I said flat out the 56's schedule was not changing. That's when you asked about the N56 owl shuttles. I responded quite clearly the N56 shuttles were going to be done from the extra board just as Andre mentioned before you posed your question. See his post here. That was the statement I was referring to when I gave my initial response to your question that I gave here. So it wasn't me who confused you unless you wished for me to talk down to you as if you were 5 years old or younger rather than my talking to you as an intelligent young adult. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I think something they should do for the fall schedules, is for #78 Montrose is to have certain weekday trips (possibly during the am-pm rush periods) to end their trips to/from Montrose/Narragansett (Wright College) for classes at the school.

They should definitely consider that an option, and also with #86 Narragansett-Ridgeland, with morning trips going from the Ridgeland Green Line to Wright College and vice versa in the afternoon. The 20 minute intervals #86 is doing right now is not sufficient because every run, especially after about 1:00pm, gets filled to capacity, with some students (such as myself) having to wait 40 minutes for another bus since the last bus could not fit additional passengers. CTA should also consider the option of possibly having NP do a couple of runs with their artics on #86 during the periods where most students are going to and from the college. But that's just wishful thinking probably. And those of you who are talking about the CCC Bus Shuttle, that only runs once an hour, which is not nearly enough service for students to get to the campus, especially during the morning/afternoon crush loads when half of the school (that's probably an exaggeration) is coming to and from the campus. The CCC Bus Shuttle at Wright is also primarily meant for students who are going to/from the Wright College's Humboldt Park Campus.

They should definitely consider that an option, and also with #86 Narragansett-Ridgeland, with morning trips going from the Ridgeland Green Line to Wright College and vice versa in the afternoon. The 20 minute intervals #86 is doing right now is not sufficient because every run, especially after about 1:00pm, gets filled to capacity, with some students (such as myself) having to wait 40 minutes for another bus since the last bus could not fit additional passengers. CTA should also consider the option of possibly having NP do a couple of runs with their artics on #86 during the periods where most students are going to and from the college. But that's just wishful thinking probably. And those of you who are talking about the CCC Bus Shuttle, that only runs once an hour, which is not nearly enough service for students to get to the campus, especially during the morning/afternoon crush loads when half of the school (that's probably an exaggeration) is coming to and from the campus. The CCC Bus Shuttle at Wright is also primarily meant for students who are going to/from the Wright College's Humboldt Park Campus.

I remember there was a point long before the extension to Devon that Chicago Garage used to do extra rush hour trips on the 86, but I think they were more targeted as school trips for the high schools near the 86 route. Maybe something similar could be done here with a larger scope if the ridership for 86 has grown back up to a point that the 20 minute headways that it got slimmed down to are no longer efficient.

• Upvote 1

I remember there was a point long before the extension to Devon that Chicago Garage used to do extra rush hour trips on the 86, but I think they were more targeted as school trips for the high schools near the 86 route. Maybe something similar could be done here with a larger scope if the ridership for 86 has grown back up to a point that the 20 minute headways that it got slimmed down to are no longer efficient.

Main thing motivating extras on 86 was Taft HS. Steinmetz was also cited.

Basically, the issue raised by Buslover is that while it was pointed out that CTA scheduled high school trippers based on "bell times" some consideration should be given to college traffic, despite colleges not having bell times.

• Upvote 2

The 78 already runs on terrible headways (especially in rush hour), and there's little justification to run the 86 more than that existing baseline (even with the Steinmetz and Taft runs, it's not a core route to up those headways).

Short turning the 78 when the terminal is a mile away isn't doing the through riders any justice. Maybe when before the mall was built it would make sense, but when you have a "major" transfer generator point at the mall, only sending a select few buses to serve students (when the route as it is already does it) won't make things better.

Maybe if the crowding/bunching issue on 78 would ever fix itself.

• Upvote 2

The 78 already runs on terrible headways (especially in rush hour), and there's little justification to run the 86 more than that existing baseline (even with the Steinmetz and Taft runs, it's not a core route to up those headways).

Short turning the 78 when the terminal is a mile away isn't doing the through riders any justice. Maybe when before the mall was built it would make sense, but when you have a "major" transfer generator point at the mall, only sending a select few buses to serve students (when the route as it is already does it) won't make things better.

Maybe if the crowding/bunching issue on 78 would ever fix itself.

what they could use is an extra school run or two in the peak on both those routes. The buses fill up there and then there is no room for the regular riders. The #86 though can fill up quite nicely at the college up til the last run sb. Maybe they should research a short turn at the college in the off peak bring headways up to 15 minutes south of the college 30 north.The #78 would probably just need a few extra buses maybe shorturning every fourth bus. This way the headways at the mall would be not as majorly affected. Drivers claim that turn up at the mall takes 7 minutes.
  • Upvote 1

Was just thinking about the possible artic purge coming up this weekend with 77th and I got a feeling Chicago or maybe another garage might actually get a few artics out of it unless they plan on running 83 artics out of 103rd. I'd say at the most 70 is good if they plan on 26 being all artic and maybe want to have a few for the other random runs they send extra artics out on plus shoring out the 6. I count 52 at 103rd now according to current rosters, 77th giving all their artics to 103rd would put them at 83 so maybe like 10 or somight go to another garage? Chicago could maybe use them on say, 20, 72, 74 and maybe some other busy routes they have. Any other thoughts on this?

Main thing motivating extras on 86 was Taft HS. Steinmetz was also cited.

Basically, the issue raised by Buslover is that while it was pointed out that CTA scheduled high school trippers based on "bell times" some consideration should be given to college traffic, despite colleges not having bell times.

Which is exactly my point sir. When I said maybe something similar could be done here, "here" from the context of the issue Buslover raised about Wright refers to Wright. And in light of that, I'd have to disagree with MetroShadow's contention that nothing extra be added to 86 beyond the current baseline when others are saying those buses are overwhelmed operating near the college. If 157 can have select morning trips terminating at Halsted to deal with the crush of UIC students that overwhelm buses on that route (which also by the way isn't a core route so throwing that up to justify not even studying and considering if ridership on such a route has grown enough to at the very least justify some short turns is baseless), surely something along those lines could be considered for the 86. The buses don't have to go all the way down to the Green Line. They can terminate at North Avenue/Narrangansett as those old high school trippers that were operated by Chicago used to.

• Upvote 1

Was just thinking about the possible artic purge coming up this weekend with 77th and I got a feeling Chicago or maybe another garage might actually get a few artics out of it unless they plan on running 83 artics out of 103rd. I'd say at the most 70 is good if they plan on 26 being all artic and maybe want to have a few for the other random runs they send extra artics out on plus shoring out the 6. I count 52 at 103rd now according to current rosters, 77th giving all their artics to 103rd would put them at 83 so maybe like 10 or somight go to another garage? Chicago could maybe use them on say, 20, 72, 74 and maybe some other busy routes they have. Any other thoughts on this?

Well I'm on the fence on whether 77th is actually going to give up all 31 artics it currently has, but if it does 103rd doesn't need all of them. If anything it should be made an even split between Chicago and 103rd and there would still be enough to bump up the number of artics on 26.

Well I'm on the fence on whether 77th is actually going to give up all 31 artics it currently has, but if it does 103rd doesn't need all of them. If anything it should be made an even split between Chicago and 103rd and there would still be enough to bump up the number of artics on 26.

If that indeed happens next route to see major artic use should probably be the 20 unless someone can think of a busier route to put them. Maybe this next artic order can give 77th their own set if cta brass stops smoking whatever has them thinking 77th's routes can't handle them when clearly NP sends them down streets nearly the size of a one way :lol:

If that indeed happens next route to see major artic use should probably be the 20 unless someone can think of a busier route to put them. Maybe this next artic order can give 77th their own set if cta brass stops smoking whatever has them thinking 77th's routes can't handle them when clearly NP sends them down streets nearly the size of a one way :lol:

Andre's mention that artics that typically go on 135 and 136 would get shifted to 22 in PM rush also throws a monkey wrench in that theory because Clark Street itself makes a tight squeeze for an articulated bus in some spots especially in Lincoln Park starting where Clark passes Lincoln Park West and Armitage.

Andre's mention that artics that typically go on 135 and 136 would get shifted to 22 in PM rush also throws a monkey wrench in that theory because Clark Street itself makes a tight squeeze for an articulated bus in some spots especially in Lincoln Park starting where Clark passes Lincoln Park West and Armitage.

Lol sometimes I wonder how some of those north side streets qualify as two-way :lol: on the note of 135/136 I noticed starting this pick 135 is starting a lot of earlier runs at Irving and for some reason the 136 shows trips starting at Belmont/Sheridan (sounds odd seeing as 136 goes express from Bittersweet to Wacker)... but could possibly be cta trying to compete with that lakeview express bus service that debutted not too long ago (blackline I think its called? )

I see North/Branch is now a short turn for the #8 with those runs starting from Root mainly. Guess that was one of the big changes to Halsted that was mentioned and the headways seem to be shortened on the 8 as well so looks like the rest of the 1000-1040 from 103rd may be taking the place that 4176-4207 leaves behind in this weekends trade. I might come through a few more timetables to see what other interesting twists i find

Lol sometimes I wonder how some of those north side streets qualify as two-way :lol: on the note of 135/136 I noticed starting this pick 135 is starting a lot of earlier runs at Irving and for some reason the 136 shows trips starting at Belmont/Sheridan (sounds odd seeing as 136 goes express from Bittersweet to Wacker)... but could possibly be cta trying to compete with that lakeview express bus service that debutted not too long ago (blackline I think its called? )

If I am reading the advance schedule properly for 136, it starts at Belmont, but then goes north to Foster, and then south via Marine Drive to Bittersweet, and then to LSD.

I can't figure out what they are doing either, but it is not quite as inexplicable as assuming that they are starting an express run at Belmont (making it a 134). Apparently they need only half the frequency between Devon and Foster. The frequency at Foster is about the same as under the existing schedule (June 24, 2014). I would also guess that this is interlined with something that ends at Belmont (and hence a Kedzie garage run, since something from North Park would start at Foster?).

I see North/Branch is now a short turn for the #8 with those runs starting from Root mainly. Guess that was one of the big changes to Halsted that was mentioned and the headways seem to be shortened on the 8 as well so looks like the rest of the 1000-1040 from 103rd may be taking the place that 4176-4207 leaves behind in this weekends trade. I might come through a few more timetables to see what other interesting twists i find

That doesn't mean very many 40 footers would be leaving 103rd or that all the artics from 77th are going to 103rd. Remember 103rd still has the far south and southeast side routes to cover, and the routes in that area don't have passenger loads that justify regular artic use. So there's still that artics can't go everywhere balance that is still a reality that must acknowledged.

If I am reading the advance schedule properly for 136, it starts at Belmont, but then goes north to Foster, and then south via Marine Drive to Bittersweet, and then to LSD.

I can't figure out what they are doing either, but it is not quite as inexplicable as assuming that they are starting an express run at Belmont (making it a 134). Apparently they need only half the frequency between Devon and Foster. The frequency at Foster is about the same as under the existing schedule (June 24, 2014). I would also guess that this is interlined with something that ends at Belmont (and hence a Kedzie garage run, since something from North Park would start at Foster?).

sounds to me like Kedzie is doing the #136 and the artics no longer being used for #136 go to #22.

Yeah I saw that too. Those trips have to be heading up to Foster on the Outer Drive though because notice that they're expected to be at Foster and Sheridan about four minutes after the times they're leaving Belmont and Sheridan. But I also wonder if that's actually a typo and was meant to say trips begin at Bryn Mawr and Sheridan and not Belmont and Sheridan. Remember some on CTA staff are notorious for not proofreading the documentation that CTA provides its passengers.

135 gets a LOT of riders at Belmont in the AM. There are trips in the AM that start at Bittersweet and are loaded to capacity at Addison (6 on the platform). If you are trying to get on at Belmont at the height of the big push, LOTS OF LUCK. There iwould be very good reason to start a couple of buses at that one bus stop. However, what is happening is that most 135's will now start at Bittersweet, on a 2 to 3 minute headway. At a couple of times 5 in a row. 136 gets a few starts at Sheridan/Bryn Mawr. This is what you misinterpreted as Belmont/Sheridan.

135 gets a LOT of riders at Belmont in the AM. There are trips in the AM that start at Bittersweet and are loaded to capacity at Addison (6 on the platform). If you are trying to get on at Belmont at the height of the big push, LOTS OF LUCK. There iwould be very good reason to start a couple of buses at that one bus stop. However, what is happening is that most 135's will now start at Bittersweet, on a 2 to 3 minute headway. At a couple of times 5 in a row. 136 gets a few starts at Sheridan/Bryn Mawr. This is what you misinterpreted as Belmont/Sheridan.

No, whomever was responsible for actually keying in the schedule information for posting online and printed as hardcopies mistyped that as Belmont/Sheridan and didn't proofread it as I suspected. Sam and Busjack aren't the only people who'll see that and be confused if they don't actually correct that to read Bryn Mawr and not Belmont. As for the 135, I've seen those crush loads in the AM rush and it still makes me wonder what Claypool was smoking when the decision was made to totally kill 145 as it now seems the 135 and 146 alone are overwhelmed by the HUMONGOUS numbers of passengers coming from the highrises along the Inner Drive.

...At a couple of times 5 in a row. 136 gets a few starts at Sheridan/Bryn Mawr. This is what you misinterpreted as Belmont/Sheridan.

No, whomever was responsible for actually keying in the schedule information for posting online and printed as hardcopies mistyped that as Belmont/Sheridan and didn't proofread it as I suspected. Sam and Busjack aren't the only people who'll see that and be confused if they don't actually correct that to read Bryn Mawr and not Belmont. As for the 135, I've seen those crush loads in the AM rush and it still makes me wonder what Claypool was smoking when the decision was made to totally kill 145 as it now seems the 135 and 146 alone are overwhelmed by the HUMONGOUS numbers of passengers coming from the highrises along the Inner Drive.

Cut and pasted from the schedule:

B - Begins at Belmont/Sheridan at time shown

Unless parking is an issue during the weekdays in Lincoln Park, the artics seem to be running fine on the 22, at least from my limited observations over the summer.