CTA Fall 2014 Schedule Picks (Sunday August 31st, 2014)

Juniorz

Unless parking is an issue during the weekdays in Lincoln Park, the artics seem to be running fine on the 22, at least from my limited observations over the summer.

He wasn't saying that artics had trouble moving in that area.... we were just pointing out that if artics can move through streets that narrow on 3-7 minute headways up there then the streets that routes 2, 3, 4, 8, 79, and 87 should have no problems with artics and really wasn't a valid enough reason to remove those much needed artics nor was there a reason that the south side garages were the main ones contributing to helping bring artics to Chicago garage last winter
  • Upvote 3

He wasn't saying that artics had trouble moving in that area.... we were just pointing out that if artics can move through streets that narrow on 3-7 minute headways up there then the streets that routes 2, 3, 4, 8, 79, and 87 should have no problems with artics and really wasn't a valid enough reason to remove those much needed artics nor was there a reason that the south side garages were the main ones contributing to helping bring artics to Chicago garage last winter

Yes that's it exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry for my very late reply to this topic about the #86 Narragansett-Ridgeland route and the congested service it has going to/from Wright College at certain times. Jajuan, I highly agree with the points you made. I do think that perhaps Chicago Garage could add a few trips to #86 during those rush periods, especially in the morning hours. I did some observation of #86 this past week and discovered that the morning trips going to Wright are far worse than the afternoon trips. This past Monday, even with the buses being on 8 to 10 minute headways (this was around 7:30 in the morning), I observed two buses in a row filled to capacity all the way to the front door of both buses, and there were probably about 7 or 8 people at the stop who could not get on either bus. This was at Diversey, which is still a bit of a distance from Wright. If CTA can't have additional buses put on the route during the peak times, then I think they should at least have a couple of artics put on the route somehow. I agree with BusHunter's point, too, about maybe having service south of Wright be every 15 minutes instead of the 30 minutes it is now after 7pm and with adding a few extra buses to #78.

Hey everyone, sorry for my very late reply to this topic about the #86 Narragansett-Ridgeland route and the congested service it has going to/from Wright College at certain times. ,,, This past Monday, even with the buses being on 8 to 10 minute headways (this was around 7:30 in the morning), I observed two buses in a row filled to capacity all the way to the front door of both buses, and there were probably about 7 or 8 people at the stop who could not get on either bus. ...

I finally made the connection with BusHunter's post on the Ridership Report where he cited 86 as being down 30%. The June report has it down 23%. However, if buses are that packed, that's about 80 passengers per bus, at least at that instant.

Obviously, the analytics are out of sync.Maybe 86 only draws in certain day parts, but they should be using the Clever Devices passenger counters (the things on either side of the door platforms) to get exact counts for various stops and day parts, rather than averaging fare transactions (which the Ridership Report says is its source). Maybe it is an instance of potential passengers not getting on the bus and hence not being counted, and getting bikes. But something doesn't add up.

I finally made the connection with BusHunter's post on the Ridership Report where he cited 86 as being down 30%. The June report has it down 23%. However, if buses are that packed, that's about 80 passengers per bus, at least at that instant.

Obviously, the analytics are out of sync.Maybe 86 only draws in certain day parts, but they should be using the Clever Devices passenger counters (the things on either side of the door platforms) to get exact counts for various stops and day parts, rather than averaging fare transactions (which the Ridership Report says is its source). Maybe it is an instance of potential passengers not getting on the bus and hence not being counted, and getting bikes. But something doesn't add up.

From what I've noticed in riding #86 on a near daily basis, most of the crowding occurs between 6:45am and around 8:20am as well as between 1:30pm and 5pm. There are certain runs outside of these times that do get quite filled, especially with a considerable number of classes that have 9:30am, 11:00am and 12:30pm start times, but the early morning and mid-afternoon runs see the most crowding. The crowding does die down during the months of June and July in substantial numbers as there are not too many students taking summer classes at Wright. At some point, I need to take a picture some how, some way to show how bad the overcrowding is.

I do think that CTA needs to start counting the passengers via the passenger counts and not relying on the fare readers, because as we all know, those do not work all of the time.