Pace Bus Wraps

Zol87

Did anyone notice this idea in the newest Moving Forward newsletter?

Wrap it up: older buses look new again
The problem: after eleven years of wear and tear from road salt, weather and more, Pace buses that entered the fleet in 2003 are showing their age. The solution: an exterior vinyl wrap refreshes the appearance of the bus while saving money versus repainting.
Pace is in the midst of wrapping approximately 50 buses in the old color scheme of a white bus with a yellow stripe down each side outlined in blue. When completed, the buses are nearly identical to the current livery of a blue bus with white logos.
The cost to wrap a bus versus repainting saves $8,000 per bus and the wrapping process takes just seven hours. To repaint a bus would require it to be out of service for 24 days.
The result is a bus that looks considerably more attractive and more closely resembles the newer, blue buses that now make up a majority of Pace’s fleet. The first blue buses joined Pace’s fleet in 2005 as part of a rebranding campaign that included a new agency logo and color scheme.
Wraps have been used by Pace for many years for advertise-ments and promotion of special events services.

What do you think?

Moving Forward 081514.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Waukegan today and saw more blue ones than the last time I was down there. Way I figure it, it's kind of nice that they're now trying to unify the look of their buses more, but junk in different packaging is still junk. Just looks a little nicer, that's all. The 6600 and 6200s are just that. Junk.

• 4 weeks later...

Noted this active solicitation, which, cracking it open is for up to 130 wraps for 35 foot and 40 foot NABI buses (up to 52 35 footers out of about 84, and 78 40 footers). The spec says:

post-14-0-98178900-1411604952_thumb.jpg

The specs also show 6185 and 6636 already wrapped. Not totally uniform to other Pace buses,as the stirpe and fleet number at the back of the letterboard are missing, but that's consistent with pictures here (and with respect to the stripe, 15550).

Anyway, it looks like the 2003 NABIs will be around for a while.

Noted this active solicitation, which, cracking it open is for up to 130 wraps for 35 foot and 40 foot NABI buses (up to 52 35 footers out of about 84, and 78 40 footers). The spec says:

attachicon.gif wrap.jpg

The specs also show 6185 and 6636 already wrapped. Not totally uniform to other Pace buses,as the stirpe and fleet number at the back of the letterboard are missing, but that's consistent with pictures here (and with respect to the stripe, 15550).

Anyway, it looks like the 2003 NABIs will be around for a while.

Well on behalf of all that, #6646 is wrapped and #6221 is the highest numbered bus that's wrapped so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Remember Pace West is where the Blue livery originated,  albeit with the 40'buses

​Although Pace said this, actually not correct. 6262-6267 were always at North Shore.

What tipped off the bus I saw is that it didn't have the numbers in the white strip on the letterboard.

Remember Pace West is where the Blue livery originated,  albeit with the 40'buses

​Although Pace said this, actually not correct. 6262-6267 were always at North Shore.

What tipped off the bus I saw is that it didn't have the numbers in the white strip on the letterboard.

​Yeah I was about to say that West started them at #6268. I don't know what made Pace give North Shore #6262-67 to begin with. I seriously thought Heritage had them since they had #6248-61.

​Yeah I was about to say that West started them at #6268. I don't know what made Pace give North Shore #6262-67 to begin with. I seriously thought Heritage had them since they had #6248-61.

​Probably the usual North Shore doesn't get much, but it must have been short. Also got 6322 at the end.

Heritage would not have received them because the 2003 NABIs completely replaced their fleet. However, when Highland Park replaced its 6600s with 2600s, some went to North Shore, and then there were swaps were North Shore got some 40 foot buses for their 35 foot ones to Heritage. A couple of years later, Heritage got all 2700s for Joliet and from that point it wasn't possible to trace anything.

​Probably the usual North Shore doesn't get much, but it must have been short. Also got 6322 at the end.

Heritage would not have received them because the 2003 NABIs completely replaced their fleet. However, when Highland Park replaced its 6600s with 2600s, some went to North Shore, and then there were swaps were North Shore got some 40 foot buses for their 35 foot ones to Heritage. A couple of years later, Heritage got all 2700s for Joliet and from that point it wasn't possible to trace anything.

​Oh ok, that makes sense. Speaking of 6600s, I'm really not sure how many are left. Every since the 2600s arrived, the 6600s have been scattered almost everywhere except for Southwest. My problem is that I don't understand the point of having them and the 40 foot NABI's wrapped. Why not just repaint them, unless money and time were an issue?