1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

On 4/22/2024 at 7:57 PM, Rhys Pate said:

The 1630-2029 rust issue has gotten bad enough that 8350s will be assigned to North Park in the near future. 8596 is assigned to North Park right now for driver training (8596 was previously assigned to Kedzie (this is in the 8350s thread)).

You can't really put that on the rust issue alone given that North Park was already reported as being next for operator training long before the report of 8596 making its way there for that purpose. If anything this is more North Park finally has a bus on hand to get that training off the ground.

CTA is getting closer to having around 250 8350 series Novas that have yet to be delivered.   Three garages ( 77th, 74th , and North Park) have yet to receive any  ( yes i know 77th technically has about 8 of them).  Assuming  the last 250 are split among these three, each CTA  garage should have about 70 New Flyer assigned to them. That leaves 490 New Flyers in service. 

The question becomes which of the 490 surviving buses will be Options 1 and 2 and how many will be Options 3 and 4?   CTA still has to replace 208 artics somehow.  Though these buses are similarly built like 1630 - 2029, the rust issues haven't seem to affect them as much.  

There's no guarantee that North Park gets new 8350s.  They could get another garages 7900s or they might not receive anything.   We shall certainly see what happens. 

T

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

CTA is getting closer to having around 250 8350 series Novas that have yet to be delivered.   Three garages ( 77th, 74th , and North Park) have yet to receive any  ( yes i know 77th technically has about 8 of them).  Assuming  the last 250 are split among these three, each CTA  garage should have about 70 New Flyer assigned to them. That leaves 490 New Flyers in service. 

77th has 26 8350s… not 8

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Any new buses that have just arrived at South Shops or the boneyard that may be under retirement in the #1630-2029 range?

Outside of what I posted the other day no, the maintenance shops bays have been dormant the past few days with hardly any #1000 getting work done on them except a few here and there. I believe with the boneyard being almost at Capacity again along with the fence along 79th we might start seeing more #1000s sidelined until they can be towed away/driven to SS when space frees up. SS has seemed to caught up on the workload as they only have about maybe 20-25 buses in total that they've been working on left for the time being. 

12 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Outside of what I posted the other day no, the maintenance shops bays have been dormant the past few days with hardly any #1000 getting work done on them except a few here and there. I believe with the boneyard being almost at Capacity again along with the fence along 79th we might start seeing more #1000s sidelined until they can be towed away/driven to SS when space frees up. SS has seemed to caught up on the workload as they only have about maybe 20-25 buses in total that they've been working on left for the time being. 

have they been hauling away any of the old 6400s recently?

On 5/4/2024 at 3:03 PM, artthouwill said:

The question becomes which of the 490 surviving buses will be Options 1 and 2 and how many will be Options 3 and 4?   CTA still has to replace 208 artics somehow.  Though these buses are similarly built like 1630 - 2029, the rust issues haven't seem to affect them as much.  

There's no guarantee that North Park gets new 8350s.  They could get another garages 7900s or they might not receive anything.   We shall certainly see what happens. 

T

Can't really say North Park will be given 7900s instead of 8350s when it's been reported that 8596 is there for NP operators to be trained on the collision alert system. Why waste time on the training just to get bypassed on being assigned 8350s? After all, our operator members have expressed that a bus is a bus when it comes to driving 40 footers and that if you know how to drive one model you know how to drive another with the differences mainly being in dashboard controls and their placements. 

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Can't really say North Park will be given 7900s instead of 8350s when it's been reported that 8596 is there for NP operators to be trained on the collision alert system. Why waste time on the training just to get bypassed on being assigned 8350s? After all, our operator members have expressed that a bus is a bus when it comes to driving 40 footers and that if you know how to drive one model you know how to drive another with the differences mainly being in dashboard controls and their placements. 

I see what you're saying but the 7900s are supposed to get retrofitted with the collision avoidance system.   K drivers were also trained but received 7900s  ( in the 82xx range) before receiving the newest batch of 8350s.    So while it may not necessarily be likely, based on precedent it's not out of the realm of possibility.  

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I see what you're saying but the 7900s are supposed to get retrofitted with the collision avoidance system.   K drivers were also trained but received 7900s  ( in the 82xx range) before receiving the newest batch of 8350s.    So while it may not necessarily be likely, based on precedent it's not out of the realm of possibility.  

17 hours ago, jajuan said:

I speculated that theory of NP getting elderly #7900s before and it got some pushback for it. Nonetheless, whatever 567 decides to do they'll have to do it quickly. Baring the rust issue with the High #1000s one could argue that a combined even split of #7900s and $8350s among all 7 garages could done because at this very moment everything is a bit lopsided when it comes to the Novas. C has the most while 77th has the least.