1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

#1981's not rehabbed on the #4. It needs to go back in the shop though. It has black sooty smoke coming from the rear and vents in the back of the bus are all caked with soot. First time I saw that.

Except for the caked vents, similar to #1764 in this pic I took a few years ago... I noticed this a lot more on the Cummins ISL buses as opposed to the Cummins ISM buses.

post-10-0-59051400-1407199756_thumb.jpg

Except for the caked vents, similar to #1764 in this pic I took a few years ago... I noticed this a lot more on the Cummins ISL buses as opposed to the Cummins ISM buses.

Actually ISM 1000s have been guilty of belching black smoke too. 1200s at 77th have had that issue at one time or another. The lower 1000s have gone through this both during their times at Chicago and at 103rd. And sometimes ISMs at 74th experienced this. Maybe it's a sign of a filtering problem inside the bus's engine.

No it was darker than that. I thought at first it was a black wrap. It didn't look like that in the loop but out by 55th it looked like that. Maybe an oil leak?

Doubtful... Oil leaks would be characterized by bright blue smoke being emitted from the tailpipe and a very characterized smell of burning motor oil from the exhaust trail. I've seen oil being burned by vehicles before. Chrysler has been notorious for it with their Caravan & Town & Country models. The V-6 engine was not very good in them. After a good amount of miles, the seals break and allow oil to get in and the van starts to burn bright blue exhaust which is oil burning through the system. Diesel vehicles can be difficult to discern, as diesel is a oil-based fuel, but is noticeable when motor oil is burning through the exhaust like with former WB-2(ex-1602) years ago turning from Irving Park onto Damen SB. That bus put out so much blue smoke from the tailpipe and I could smell the aroma of motor oil burning in the air from the exhaust trail.

The black smoke from the buses like #1764 and #1981 are unburned carbon compounds. It could also mean the pump and/or filter is dirty or clogged and needs to be cleaned and/or replaced.

Doubtful... Oil leaks would be characterized by bright blue smoke being emitted from the tailpipe and a very characterized smell of burning motor oil from the exhaust trail. I've seen oil being burned by vehicles before. Chrysler has been notorious for it with their Caravan & Town & Country models. The V-6 engine was not very good in them. After a good amount of miles, the seals break and allow oil to get in and the van starts to burn bright blue exhaust which is oil burning through the system. Diesel vehicles can be difficult to discern, as diesel is a oil-based fuel, but is noticeable when motor oil is burning through the exhaust like with former WB-2(ex-1602) years ago turning from Irving Park onto Damen SB. That bus put out so much blue smoke from the tailpipe and I could smell the aroma of motor oil burning in the air from the exhaust trail.

The black smoke from the buses like #1764 and #1981 are unburned carbon compounds. It could also mean the pump and/or filter is dirty or clogged and needs to be cleaned and/or replaced.

Um diesel vehicles wouldn't be harder to discern, simply because of diesel fuel being oil-based. Gasoline itself is also a fuel that comes from oil. So it's more to it than just that.

Notable buses that may be rehabbed (all were inside the shop):

#1065 #1937 #1232 (a possibility of new lighting) #1017 #1575 (needs new kneeling decals) #1760 (has updated no right turn decal) #1700 (was getting rehabbed and the New Flyer logo on the back was scrapped with a scraper) #1136 (was getting rehabbed) #1796 (was getting rehabbed) and #1688 (was getting rehabbed)

Also, #1936 should be rehabbed after being released from the shop if anyone wants to check that out.

Notable buses that may be rehabbed (all were inside the shop):

#1065 #1937 #1232 (a possibility of new lighting) #1017 #1575 (needs new kneeling decals) #1760 (has updated no right turn decal) #1700 (was getting rehabbed and the New Flyer logo on the back was scrapped with a scraper) #1136 (was getting rehabbed) #1796 (was getting rehabbed) and #1688 (was getting rehabbed)

Also, #1936 should be rehabbed after being released from the shop if anyone wants to check that out.

I could have swore i spotted a rehabbed #1524 on the #15 on friday, and a rehabbed #1410 on the #50 yesterday. #1925 was spotted in service today on the #49. List is updated with all the south shops spottings.

I could have swore i spotted a rehabbed #1524 on the #15 on friday, and a rehabbed #1410 on the #50 yesterday. #1925 was spotted in service today on the #49. List is updated with all the south shops spottings.

Oh by the way, we need to be on a lookout of #1923 also.

Eariler today on my way to work I saw a New Flyer working the 87th street heading eastbound but what I noticed in particular was the headlights were the same as the bus #1005. I couldnt get the bus number cause It was too far behind me but either that was 1005 which the only bus I know besides the 4300 with the new headlights or they are now installing them in with the current rehabs thats been going on lately with the 1000 series. Have anybody else seen the same bus?

Probably was #1160, it has the headlights too along with #909. Well finally on the #53 we have rehabbed #2000!! Yay. I took a picture hopefully it came out. ( those damn shadows again)

Oh ok yeah it probably was 1160 then thanks cause I was thinking since when did 77th get 1005? lol

Probably was #1160, it has the headlights too along with #909. Well finally on the #53 we have rehabbed #2000!! Yay. I took a picture hopefully it came out. ( those damn shadows again)

Well your right again garmon. #1925 is rehabbed on the #49B.

Well done BusHunter!!! :D