Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

Left out of this equation is "right-sizing" of buses, which is subject to both individual run and their passenger counts, as well as proper blocking of trips with the schedulers. 

Some trips may need a 40' while others would need a paratransit. This could be subject to a future fleet management plan to address what to do with both the 6600's and 6162 replacements in the future. 

28 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

This could be subject to a future fleet management plan to address what to do with both the 6600's and 6162 replacements in the future. 

Given that Pace has pretty much admitted that 35' buses were a mistake* (except maybe at N), that could become interesting when the next contract is advertised.

*Pulled out of R, H, HP, and local Elgin routes, those at S to be replaced by 40 foot  CNGs, as examples.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Given that Pace has pretty much admitted that 35' buses were a mistake* (except maybe at N), that could become interesting when the next contract is advertised.

*Pulled out of R, H, HP, and local Elgin routes, those at S to be replaced by 40 foot  CNGs, as examples.

I would be happy to see some 35' buses at Heritage again. The rear door does help on time performance, which is especially important on the Joliet local routes because of the pulse point connections. You only have 5-10 minutes to transfer if the bus is on time, or wait an hour for the next one if it's late. Saving just 1-2 minutes by having a rear door might not sound like a big deal, but it makes a big difference to passengers when they see that making transfers is more reliable.

16 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I would be happy to see some 35' buses at Heritage again. The rear door does help on time performance, which is especially important on the Joliet local routes because of the pulse point connections. You only have 5-10 minutes to transfer if the bus is on time, or wait an hour for the next one if it's late. Saving just 1-2 minutes by having a rear door might not sound like a big deal, but it makes a big difference to passengers when they see that making transfers is more reliable.

But that basically gets down to why they moved them out.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, PACE NORTHWEST said:

6125, 6130, and 6132 are from NW.

After waking up, i realized I was off a digit.

23 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

6175 has also moved to West.  So now at this point, I don't know what Pace is doing with West.  xD

Only thing I can figure is that Pace is a little slow with the crusher, but now that we see what is going on in S and SW, undoubtedly the next contract will be mostly for W.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

After waking up, i realized I was off a digit.

Only thing I can figure is that Pace is a little slow with the crusher, but now that we see what is going on in S and SW, undoubtedly the next contract will be mostly for W.

Or for north. West doesnt have much to replace but when it comes time for the nabis to go it may get something  new.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Apparent transfer from SW to FV (2816):

Makes sense, given the new route 559 and that SW is getting new 40' buses. (I hope SW becomes all 40' except the 8 buses for 895, as the 30' buses can become crowded on most runs).

22 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Also,Webwatch indicates that it takes 3 buses to run 559.

No doubt due to midday pulling/pullouts, since the schedule shows that only 2 are theoretically needed. 559 might only require a fleet increase of 1 bus, though.

27 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

No doubt due to midday pulling/pullouts, since the schedule shows that only 2 are theoretically needed. 559 might only require a fleet increase of 1 bus, though.

Although theoretically 2, it has been pretty consistently 3 all day. At the moment:

559.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rotjohns said:

That's strange because it was on 676 2 days ago.  And 2675 is also at FV, it's on 722 today.  Lots of moving parts between Naperville, Fox Valley, and SW.

There's the combination of FV needing buses to start 722 and 559, and 676 and 685 being transferred to FV, and it appearing that it is running FV buses. That gets the FV need up at least 10.

• 1 month later...

I see that sadly the Orion VIs doesn't have much time left at SW Division.  And I see an SW Orion V (#6091) at NW currently on 290 today.   Are the Blue Wraps (#6156-6161) are staying at SW until they're due for retiring or are they more likely going to West?  Better catch your last rides on Orion VIs on SW Routes quickly as possible.

28 minutes ago, qwantae said:

I see that sadly the Orion Vs doesn't have much time left at SW Division.  And I see an SW Orion V (#6091) at NW currently on 290 today.   Are the Blue Wraps (#6156-6161) are staying at SW until they're due for retiring or are they more likely going to West?  Better catch your last rides on Orion Vs on SW Routes quickly as possible.

They are VIs, and the wrapped ones will be around a while. However the swapping between SW and NW doesn't make much sense.

Also, I don't see the junk nostalgia here, as even Pace admitted at the time that it bought them because they were cheaper than NABIs.