State/Lake Loop L Station Rebuild

Busjack

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Tribune article that the city received a $56.9 million CMAQ grant (in addition to $5.5 million in design money) toward the cost of rebuilding the State-Lake L station, although design work hasn't started yet. Part of the planning is to connect it with the Red Line subway.

About time. State/Lake is one stop that actually needed an upgrade years ago. The south side has had the good connections all this time at Roosevelt/Red and Green/Orange lines while the north and west sides don't really have a loop connection other than Clark/Lake which doesn't access the Red line or State/Lake Red to the blue line, but still for a tourist or even a skiddish person that doesn't trust the free connection via turnstile connection method, this is lax and could be better. It's basically making the most out of a bad situation or connection. Me personally I've never connected there without a pass that I can trust I get the free connection so that shows how much I trust the free connection.

The station is old and with it being the 2nd busiest in the loop is a no brainer to develop. The State/Lake community deserves better. The ironic side of this is that the stop was slated for removal when Washington/Wabash was being drawn up. It was saved due to harsh criticism by the riding public and community.

Good. I guess I'm kind of spoiled with only having to need to transfer at Clark/Lake for most of my life, but the one time I changed to the Red Line from the Loop lines, I was not fond of the out of system transfer.

48 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

...still for a tourist or even a skiddish person that doesn't trust the free connection via turnstile connection method, this is lax and could be better. It's basically making the most out of a bad situation or connection. Me personally I've never connected there without a pass that I can trust I get the free connection so that shows how much I trust the free connection...

Was never a fan of the setup, and I'm not even a tourist. As much as I don't like it, the same setup exists at Jackson/State/Dearborn and Harold Washington Library. I guess the old looking State/Lake makes it worse though...

13 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Was never a fan of the setup, and I'm not even a tourist. As much as I don't like it, the same setup exists at Jackson/State/Dearborn and Harold Washington Library. I guess the old looking State/Lake makes it worse though...

Which brings up:

• The State-Lake station has to be the ugliest thing possible to block the view from Chicago's main street. I would put it on the level of the Stony Island station, and Wilson Shops, but both of those are now gone. At least the Harold Washington Library station is new, and isn't over State.
  • The "free transfer" (originally a paper transfer check, or now a Ventra card) was always the official way to transfer between the two State-Lake stations. I believe it always worked to or from Library, but was publicized only as a result of some other construction project.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Which brings up:

• The State-Lake station has to be the ugliest thing possible to block the view from Chicago's main street. I would put it on the level of the Stony Island station, and Wilson Shops, but both of those are now gone. At least the Harold Washington Library station is new, and isn't over State.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of its design either, and the itty bitty platforms bother me. I just ran down to the subway platforms when I transferred there. I heard that they expanded the platforms a bit a few years back, but that obviously didn't fix the fare area aesthetics.

5 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

and the itty bitty platforms bother me

Obviously, the platforms would have to be expanded to ADA specifications. Since there hasn't been planning, I don't know how they would do it, but obviously it would have to be something similar to what is at Washington-Wabash.

With both State and lake stops getting a direct free connection really library state van buren could use a direct connection too. You could argue that the red line already does that at Roosevelt but the blue line connection is weak. If they could transfer straight to the red line platform they could actually transfer via Jackson red lines transfer tunnel. It would be like Clark and lake south. The forest pk riders need a better connection and I don't like fighting for a seat on an outbound blue line train at Clark/lake blue. It would be a smart move I think and take away all the hoards of people who use Clark lake as a transfer point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, BusHunter said:

With both State and lake stops getting a direct free connection really library state van buren could use a direct connection too. You could argue that the red line already does that at Roosevelt but the blue line connection is weak. If they could transfer straight to the red line platform they could actually transfer via Jackson red lines transfer tunnel. It would be like Clark and lake south. The forest pk riders need a better connection and I don't like fighting for a seat on an outbound blue line train at Clark/lake blue. It would be a smart move I think and take away all the hoards of people who use Clark lake as a transfer point. 

Personally the biggest issue I saw was when they closed Washington/State, taking out the transfer tunnel in the process. I remember when it was open seeing everyone in that tunnel with suitcases heading to/from the Blue Line, and the Jackson transfer tunnel being OK to navigate. Now with Washington/State closed, there’s only the Jackson tunnel  and the Loop lines to change between the Red and Blue lines (I don’t count the Lake - Washington/Dearborn tunnel because it is out of system). My thought is that a Clark/Lake south would make Jackson/Dearborn more crowded than it is already.

• 4 weeks later...

About adding elevators.

I expect it will just be like all the other elevators to L stations, with the free transfer still being external?

Which means that the person who absolutely needs the elevators will have to go to the other end of the Red line station at street level to make the transfer.

A nicer solution would be elevators that go straight from the L to the subway. No chance of that I suppose.

11 hours ago, Passenger said:

A nicer solution would be elevators that go straight from the L to the subway. No chance of that I suppose.

You don't know, but I bet there would be a stink if there weren't. CTA says all stations will be accessible, eventually.

• 4 years later...

According to the ADA advisory committee meeting, State/Lake station is 90% into design and expected to be put out to bid by the end of this year or early next year. Construction expected to follow soon after (according to CDOT)... but judging by Damen green line, it could take a while. 

40 minutes ago, rl12383 said:

According to the ADA advisory committee meeting, State/Lake station is 90% into design and expected to be put out to bid by the end of this year or early next year. Construction expected to follow soon after (according to CDOT)... but judging by Damen green line, it could take a while. 

either. Know Chicago’s slogan, "The City that Works (slowly),"

9 hours ago, rl12383 said:

The notable thing in the video is that while the Lake subway station will be made accessible, it will not be connected to the L station, and  it will still be necessary to use a Ventra card to transfer.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, Busjack said:

The notable thing in the video is that while the Lake subway station will be made accessible, it will not be connected to the L station, and  it will still be necessary to use a Ventra card to transfer.

I doubt that would be a problem especially given now that the passes are permanently discounted. The one-day pass is just as equivalent as a round-trip on the 'L'.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2022 at 12:14 AM, Busjack said:

Jeez, they could at least design the elevator to run between both stations

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Jeez, they could at least design the elevator to run between both stations

To do that, they probably would need an easement in adjoining buildings, such as what is at Clark and Lake, but then there would be the risk of the stink over the Thompson Center. Similarly, the connection at Roosevelt was possible only because the police headquarters at 1111 S. State was demolished. (A similar rationale was given for blowing $330 million on the Block 37 tunnel at the time).

I suppose the argument could be made that a more direct transfer is available at Roosevelt or Fullerton.

13 hours ago, Busjack said:

To do that, they probably would need an easement in adjoining buildings, such as what is at Clark and Lake, but then there would be the risk of the stink over the Thompson Center. Similarly, the connection at Roosevelt was possible only because the police headquarters at 1111 S. State was demolished. (A similar rationale was given for blowing $330 million on the Block 37 tunnel at the time).

I suppose the argument could be made that a more direct transfer is available at Roosevelt or Fullerton.

Plenty of sidewalk to install an elevator to go from the subway station mezzanine to the L station platform.

In addition, building the State Street subway cut off a tunnel under State from the Chicago Theater to the State/Lake Theater.  At one time in the farthest north entrance to the subway, you could see a place where the tunnel used to be, by the indentation in the wall.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, rl12383 said:

Bid is out for the new State/lake station. Bids due in March, so Probably looking at a start date late this year or early next year. 

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/dps/provdrs/contract/svcs/current_bid_opportunities.html

Good find, as it is a CDOT project, but most L station projects seem to be.

Addenda:

A CDOT page explains the relationship between  CDOT and CTA. CDOT is responsible for about 1/3 of the rapid transit stations. Some of this is more obvious on reflection, such as the city Dept. of Streets and Subways having built the State and Dearborn subways, originally intended for the private Chicago Rapid Transit Co.,  and the Congress (now Forest Park) line as part of the now Eisenhower Expressway, but is less obvious in the case of the Cermak Green Line station.

This announcement also means (1) the Loop L will be around at least another 40 years, and (2) the only unrehabbed/inaccessible/crappy stations left on the Loop L will be LaSalle-Van Buren and Adams-(BTHS talk) Wowbosch.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

This announcement also means (1) the Loop L will be around at least another 40 years, and (2) the only unrehabbed/inaccessible/crappy stations left on the Loop L will be LaSalle-Van Buren and Adams-(BTHS talk) Wowbosch.

I wonder what will happen to LaSalle and Van Buren, it's so close to Library, but closing it and making 2,000 people go to Library or Quincy will be awful for capacity. Maybe they'll do something similar to Ashland or Quincy, which are also historical stations that ended up becoming accessible. 

6 minutes ago, Elkmn said:

I wonder what will happen to LaSalle and Van Buren, it's so close to Library, but closing it and making 2,000 people go to Library or Quincy will be awful for capacity. Maybe they'll do something similar to Ashland or Quincy, which are also historical stations that ended up becoming accessible. 

LaSalle/Van Buren is a transfer point from the LoopL to the LaSalle Metra Rock Island Station 

• 4 weeks later...

Cracking the smaller one, as Arte Johnson said on Laugh-In "veryyy interesting." It wasn't clear from the summary where the elevators go, or how to deal with the lack of a transfer within a paid area between the L and subway, but I certainly don't have the engineering expertise to deal with the full specifications. Clearly, there's a lot more involved than just at platform level.