600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

52 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

It was testing at the charging station. Photos courtesy of locooo.

Thanks for the reference. This seems to explain why the bay assignments were moved a couple of years ago, but, unlike the Navy Pier, Chicago & Austin, and C garage chargers, never turned up on the Construction Report. Do you think this is a portable fast charger?

28 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Thanks for the reference. This seems to explain why the bay assignments were moved a couple of years ago, but, unlike the Navy Pier, Chicago & Austin, and C garage chargers, never turned up on the Construction Report. Do you think this is a portable fast charger?

Electric bus chargers can be portable? With all the equipment they set up, that seems like a lot of permanence, but I'm happy to be wrong. There's a substation immediately to the left when you exist the train station, right before where the 54B alights and the pantograph is attached directly to the roof, with the electrical connections wired on top of the roof.

As for the construction report, thanks for mentioning that, it's weird that not only does it not show up, there are some missing. This was built between March-August 2020, but April-July don't have a construction report, and as you mentioned, it doesn't show up in the August report with the other 66 projects, nor any of the ones going back to March 2020-December 2019

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

IMG_6491-1.jpg

IMG_6490-1.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

I wonder how successful this test was.  Could we possibly see a migration of a few Proterras to 74th for testing on the 63 ?  I don't know if 74th has a charger or if it will get a portable charger, but it seems like CTA is ready to expand its testing.   

That brings up a question.  When it is said that a bus can go X amount of miles in a full charge, what do they mean?  Is it miles based on stop and go conditions or highway conditions?  Is it based on an empty bus or a fully loaded one?  Are other variables such as A/C and battery conditions factored in?

22 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I wonder how successful this test was.  Could we possibly see a migration of a few Proterras to 74th for testing on the 63 ?  I don't know if 74th has a charger or if it will get a portable charger, but it seems like CTA is ready to expand its testing.   

That brings up a question.  When it is said that a bus can go X amount of miles in a full charge, what do they mean?  Is it miles based on stop and go conditions or highway conditions?  Is it based on an empty bus or a fully loaded one?  Are other variables such as A/C and battery conditions factored in?

I no longer have access to the document since it's attached to an old work email, but within the last year, every garage except NP & FG had at least 1 charger

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

It appears to be just that, I haven't seen any evidence of anything else being added since construction was completed over at Midway,the last time I was over there was in July and even then previously the #700s tested there last year before going M.I.A. 

32 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It goes back to a few concerns I had with CTA earlier this year about the delays 74th was experiencing on receiving #600s to test because they were long over due for some to start training and testing on. To answer your question though I think all factors are jumbled together based on the runs only CTA has that data and I'm sure in the near future should be releasing some type of report on there progression so far. 

Another thing I've noticed as of late Austin and Navy Pier chargers have had some issues lately charging buses fully. #613 couldn't charge fully this morning at Austin and nearly got switched out for another bus. The bus was still operational but for whatever reason the charger itself wouldn't charge the bus to %100 or close to that. I think #605 had a similar issue at Navy Pier last month as well.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Another thing I've noticed as of late Austin and Navy Pier chargers have had some issues lately charging buses fully. #613 couldn't charge fully this morning at Austin and nearly got switched out for another bus. The bus was still operational but for whatever reason the charger itself wouldn't charge the bus to %100 or close to that. I think #605 had a similar issue at Navy Pier last month as well.

If it continues that's the sign of a dying battery. Not running these buses is bad news, because the batteries will prematurely age. Would you buy a cell phone that hasnt ran for 2-3 years??? It's somewhat disappointing they can't get all these buses out in service. We still have buses at SS. 

This is also a problem with the cars too. Range anxiety is a real thing. Lol!!

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

IMG_6491-1.jpg

IMG_6490-1.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

I guess its another like whatever shows up where distrubution??? Maybe nothing else is running at Chicago cause it's at 74th. 10 buses are missing #609 -#611, #614 - #618 and #620 and #622. Some are at SS. I think 6, so is the other 4 at 74th????

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

It appears to be just that, I haven't seen any evidence of anything else being added since construction was completed over at Midway,the last time I was over there was in July and even then previously the #700s tested there last year before going M.I.A. 

How can a pantograph charger be portable?

14 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I guess its another like whatever shows up where distrubution??? Maybe nothing else is running at Chicago cause it's at 74th. 10 buses are missing #609 -#611, #614 - #618 and #620 and #622. Some are at SS. I think 6, so is the other 4 at 74th????

I was just driving by Midway and saw #611 pulling into the bus station. There was nothing on the destination sign.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, BusHunter said:

You can learn alot by reading wikipedia. Mostly the BE models circa 2014-20  charge  slower but tend to have the highest mileage. Both models are heavy 15 tons on a composite frame. The composite ftame has got the company in trouble because philly which bought the B series model has found cracks in the frame. The new X5 models charge faster but based on the battery purchased can run up to 329 miles. You cam choose duo or prodrive with puts one or two driving motors on the axles. Its similar to a tesla performance model versus the base model. You can also buy that on the be models. The X5 is the newest model 2020 and newer, so not much is known about the long term effects of the bus. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proterra_(bus_manufacturer)

Do we know which of the 600s are BE40s and which are ZX5s?