600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

You’re correct ??.

Since @YoungBusLover said 77th maintenance bay, and he posted the picture, I don't think there is any significance other than testing  the electronics. Like most things involving the 600s, we'll have to wait a long tiime and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I guess 614 is only good for testing chargers?

As I previously indicated, the budget says that the Proterras are in testing through 2022.  One of the tests outlined by CTA and Pace is how long a bus can hold a quick charge. I guess you also concluded that 610 and 611 are only good for testing the Midway charger.

It appears that the view of several here is that anything less than 20 years old is junk, then it, as junk, is characterized as a good bus.

55 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Actually it doesn't in that the existing came with 6400s on the books and CTA's designation of them being test buses similar to the 700s, 800s and 900s were doesn't actually put them in a position to actually be on the road long enough during any given day to see any 1000s knocked off by their existence on the overall fleet roster. 

It depends on what the terms of the grants are. For instance, the first CMAQ application was to replace 2002 Novas, but later CTA said 1000s.

However, as has been frequently said by CTA and Pace, they are being tested for such things as whether a charge will last a schedule block. If the intent was to pay $1 million each for 1-year buses, there would be a bigger federal scandal than the NABIs. CTA would definitely be guilty of fraud if it didn't get the represented number of polluting buses off the street and out of environmentally disadvantaged neighborhoods. It would also get the environmental activists more on CTA's adze.

18 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It depends on what the terms of the grants are. For instance, the first CMAQ application was to replace 2002 Novas, but later CTA said 1000s.

However, as has been frequently said by CTA and Pace, they are being tested for such things as whether a charge will last a schedule block. If the intent was to pay $1 million each for 1-year buses, there would be a bigger federal scandal than the NABIs. CTA would definitely be guilty of fraud if it didn't get the represented number of polluting buses off the street and out of environmentally disadvantaged neighborhoods. It would also get the environmental activists more on CTA's adze.

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the 600s were going to be retired right away, which obviously they aren't. Matter of fact, the 800s and 900s actually lasted far longer than expected. The 800s actually made it to the length of a FTA standard life by way of 804's not being retired until some months ago. My point is they haven't yet hit a point of showing they can hold a charge for a standard schedule block to significantly help the 8350s in doing any replacements. Not to mention that CTA shifting from saying that about 400 1000s will be left over based on their earlier second rehab talks to now acknowledging that 530 will potentially be left over suggests they aren't ready to say they're there yet either. In the overall plan over the next decade, yeah electrics will make a dent. But speaking strictly in the short term, the 8350s are going to make that dent faster and be the predominant bus doing so. As for the activists, they're already squawking because CTA didn't change the 8350s to an order for electrics, which is unrealistic to expect on so many levels that we've already discussed, the top being CTA not yet having charging infrastructure in place at garages and bus terminals beyond what they've got going for the present 600s let alone having the funding secured to get that needed infrastructure in place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...