600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

24 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Interesting. I know that they're supposed to install a charger at Midway, but I didn't check last time I was at the terminal there. 

63 has two bays at Midway.  One of them has the charger

If I remember correctly,  the bay closest to the station is the one with the overhead charger.

• Upvote 2

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/5/18/23728419/chicago-transit-authority-electric-bus-63-cta

Sun-Times article. Interesting that they call these the first ones when 700 & 701 (which are mentioned at the bottom of the article) have been operating on/off for years, mostly on south side routes (4 & 79)

WRT to charging, I remember seeing the construction and breaking the news on this forum when they started building the charger at Midway summer of 2020. Is there another on-route charger for the 63 though? The 66 has two, seems strange for the 63 to only get one

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/5/18/23728419/chicago-transit-authority-electric-bus-63-cta

Sun-Times article. Interesting that they call these the first ones when 700 & 701 (which are mentioned at the bottom of the article) have been operating on/off for years, mostly on south side routes (4 & 79)

WRT to charging, I remember seeing the construction and breaking the news on this forum when they started building the charger at Midway summer of 2020. Is there another on-route charger for the 63 though? The 66 has two, seems strange for the 63 to only get one

• May have been "on, off" but most of the 700s' action was out of K, such as on 21. Not enough to say that there was regular enough service on any route.
  • Issue on 63 is that there isn't a bus turnaround at Stony Island. In that case, any charger would have to be on YMCA property. However, it is not clear where CTA plans to put the charger pad and fence (authorized last month).

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I thought there was some talk about putting one charger at 63rd St Beach.  The only problem is that is a part time terminal limited to the summer.    Stony Island makes sense.  The question is whether you can build the charger on Stony Island in front of the Y or maybe build it on 63rd St?  The city would probably need to build a cut out between Blackstone and Stony to accommodate bus staging.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I thought there was some talk about putting one charger at 63rd St Beach.  The only problem is that is a part time terminal limited to the summer.    Stony Island makes sense.  The question is whether you can build the charger on Stony Island in front of the Y or maybe build it on 63rd St?  The city would probably need to build a cut out between Blackstone and Stony to accommodate bus staging.

The consultants will question how many en route chargers are necessary. The 700 was able to stay out on a whole shift. "Topping off" is no longer the trend, as opposed to garage charging and limiting the duration of the block.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Policeman said:

614 hit service on the 66

That's the last of them.

I figure that the price of the change order is enough to pick up the remaining 22 options, bot we'll have to see on Friday.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is unfortunate that they've filed for Chapter 11 which leads me to wonder where the next fleet will come from but then again New Flyer may be the only option for the time being. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-firm-proterra-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-2023-08-07/?fbclid=IwAR1PUwgoQZoEMfHBj6vWlEQSW7iXGN9CkGlZ6h5Dhgr5diy0hGeipbANzao

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

This is unfortunate that they've filed for Chapter 11 which leads me to wonder where the next fleet will come from but then again New Flyer may be the only option for the time being. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-firm-proterra-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-2023-08-07/?fbclid=IwAR1PUwgoQZoEMfHBj6vWlEQSW7iXGN9CkGlZ6h5Dhgr5diy0hGeipbANzao

@strictures started a new topic, which is the more appropriate place to discuss this.  But to quickly answer your implication, Proterra is not going out of business or disaffirming contracts. Read my response there.