8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

30 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

This post on Reddit claims that 8350 was rejected and now in the hands of Belleville, Ontario. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/transit/s/RCuc9Xes5u

It was noted far up the tread that there were two 8350s, with different shipping papers on the windshields. Maybe the prototype went back. But 8350 doesn't show on @maths22's tracker.

#8350 is still in possession of CTA. However, the prototype is probably long gone and in the possession of BT GO.  The user also makes claims that the Authority is the reason why Nova left the US market which I find hard to believe. 

Screenshot 2024-06-18 092826.png

I would think Flyer bankrupted themselves with the cracked frame issues on the cta D901s, I believe a few rejected cta flyers went on to different agencies. Just like the compobus nabis ending up in hawaii and if i remember 1 or 2 cta spec 6400s went on to nycta the buses that cta don't want still lead active lifes.

51 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8350 is still in possession of CTA. However, the prototype is probably long gone and in the possession of BT GO.  The user also makes claims that the Authority is the reason why Nova left the US market which I find hard to believe. 

I don't buy the argument that Nova left the US  because of CTA.  If anything. CTA'S  the reason  Nova stuck around as long as it did.  ICTA was the biggest customer outside of New York,  but obviously couldn't sustain the lack of business in the US.   It is tough sledding to win contracts on America and be profitable.   We see ENC also leaving the market and there are very few players left in the game.  Perhaps customization played a role in  the demise of these manufacturers competing this country along with the lowest bidder stipulations, but there's no way one transit agency is the cause here.

• Upvote 2

In  response to these 2 comments

• Again the /r is a symptom of  the Internet. Maybe the poster knows that the bus was intended for CTA. That might be indicated by the large headlights. Maybe he is a serial number tracer. But, otherwise, he hasn't demonstrated having been in a position to know anything else, and in the white on black post admits it is rumor. On the other hand, @YoungBusLover has demonstrated he is "on the ground," so I accept that the production 8350 is on CTA property.
  • There are more credible explanations for why Volvo Bus pulled out of the US, described in that topic, including that CTA would have had nothing with it pulling Prevost.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So from the looks of it we don’t have the prototype at all? I could have sworn it would be hidden at SS or at Greenwood facility. this could be unrelated but CPTDB says the prototype #1000 was replaced by the current one and was returned to New Flyer but it is at Greenwood as well.

16 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

So from the looks of it we don’t have the prototype at all? I could have sworn it would be hidden at SS or at Greenwood facility. this could be unrelated but CPTDB says the prototype #1000 was replaced by the current one and was returned to New Flyer but it is at Greenwood as well.

Prototype was sent back in 2021 and the current one we have was delivered Again in either late 2021 or early to mid 2022. 6400 the mechanical trainer at SS was indeed the pilot bus that neve saw revenue serivce past 1999 going into 2000. The 5300 T1-××× to the best of my knowledge was also a mechanical trainer for many years same goes for the 4400 that was seen at Skokie shops a few years ago. All the prototypes at one point were in possession of CTA and at some point were either sent back to the manufacturers or kept for a period of time. Currently #1000A, #4300, #8350 is at 89th and Greenwood. A host of others from the past were also there, more recently #7900 which has now returned to serivce.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Prototype was sent back in 2021 and the current one we have was delivered

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8350 are at 89th and Greenwood

Putting 2+2 together, I take it you mean that the production 8350 is at Greenwood, and that's why it's not on the tracker.

7 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

The 8350 that was at CTA delivered in 2021 is the one in Belleville as the VIN numbers match.

11 hours ago, Busjack said:

Putting 2+2 together, I take it you mean that the production 8350 is at Greenwood, and that's why it's not on the tracker.

Yessir, the production model is at 89th and Greenwood along with #600s ,#1000A, #4300, #8195, and #TI-2.

20230106_072700 (1).jpg

4300 (1).png

Screenshot 2024-06-19 101014.png

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

I'm not familiar with 89th & Greenwood - do the first buses in the order usually go there to serve as training buses for the mechanics?

Training center (sort of like what Lawndale barn was), until the new Control and Training Center is completed.

The current facility is discussed here.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:33 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Prototype was sent back in 2021 and the current one we have was delivered Again in either late 2021 or early to mid 2022. 6400 the mechanical trainer at SS was indeed the pilot bus that neve saw revenue serivce past 1999 going into 2000. The 5300 T1-××× to the best of my knowledge was also a mechanical trainer for many years same goes for the 4400 that was seen at Skokie shops a few years ago. All the prototypes at one point were in possession of CTA and at some point were either sent back to the manufacturers or kept for a period of time. Currently #1000A, #4300, #8350 is at 89th and Greenwood. A host of others from the past were also there, more recently #7900 which has now returned to serivce.

With the fire on #6860, that had quickly pulled the rest of the ones out of service and #6400 was never used since even it was at SS most of its life sitting adjacent to former #5678. The second #6400 and #6401 were pilots as well if I’m correct.